Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2014, 06:44 PM   #1

Default auxillary fuel tank use

l I have an auxillary 20gal fuel tank on my Falcon 190. It doesn't automatically switch tanks when the main tank runs low. It needs to be switched manually. Someone told me that I should not use that tank except for emergenies. I'm not sure how I should or shouldn't use it. I put fuel stabilizeer in the aux tank but I gotta believe if I don't refill it on occasion with fresh fuel I will have issues. What wouldn you all recommend as the protocol for using my tanks. Should i drain the extra tank or use whats in itl. It appears to be full. I can't do anything till I get down to Florida in two weeks.
K-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 07:08 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: auxillary fuel tank use

You should use it if for no other reason than to make sure it will work all the way near empty. Emergency is not the reason for the extra tank. The real reason is to be able to buy really inexpensive gas in a place like Cody Wyoming at say $3.65 a gallon and not have to buy gas in Yellowstone at $5.00 a gallon. You would be able to get to Jackson Hole where the gas might be 3.56 a gallon(all hypothetical numbers of course). A trip to Alaska might be another example. Use you spare tank as much as possible. Hoses might leak. Fuel pump could fail etc...
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 11:41 PM   #3
Platinum Member

How long has the fuel been in the aux. tank? If its not too old, go ahead and run it. As stan said, use it or maybe lose it, things are made to be used to keep them working.
AK49er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 05:39 PM   #4

I topped it off with about 8 gallons 2 mos ago. I had the fuel tested or so they said at Campers world when they replaced the filters and fuel pump. I added stabilizer. I'll run it down

Thanks
K-Man is offline   Reply With Quote