Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2013, 10:16 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Beware Sheetz diesel ... no really, that's the brand name!

Sheetz is a fuel/quickie-mart brand now common in the mid Atlantic US states (NC through PA and as far west as OH). Nice-looking stations, clean, etc, so no reason to be suspicious. I filled up at one of their PA stations recently and quickly found that their brand name should be considered more of an adjective than a noun. I had real difficulty going over hills on the rest of that tank: the engine was sluggish, acceleration was poor and it seemed the shift points were off. Mileage dropped from a 17.5 mpg avg to around 16. At the next fillup (a Marathon station in WV), I was back up to full speed - and that tank's mileage was over 18 mpg!

I've since read about 'cetane ratings,' discovering that Sheetz says their diesel is 'not less than 40.' Thanks guys, that's the minimum required in the US. The higher the cetane number, the shorter the delay before the fuel ignites when compressed, resulting in more complete combustion (presumably better power, lower emissions and maybe even higher mpg). But strangely enough, the cetane rating is not required to be posted on the pump (the way the octane rating helps you pick which grade of gasoline you want). There are such things as 'cetane booster' additives, but I hesitate to start mixing things into a potentially finicky MB Sprinter engine without further research.

Since I don't live in their marketing area, I hope to never have to deal with such Sheetz again. However, since RVs are intended to move about the country, here's yet another thing to keep track of. And really, what were they thinking with that name?

Dan F. in Texas, no Sheetz here
arrveedogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:48 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Beware Sheetz diesel ... no really, that's the brand nam

Ah Sheetz! How lucky I am. We just drove from Minnesota to Washington DC and I fortunately did not fill up at Sheetz though I noticed, luckily too late in a couple of instances, that they were generally cheaper per gallon than their local competition. I'll keep this in mind driving back starting tomorrow.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:33 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay
Default Re: Beware Sheetz diesel ... no really, that's the brand nam

Have to keep it in mind. I know a couple folks that have had some problems with the "Loves" brand of gasoline here in the central plains, but not their diesel.

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote