Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2011, 05:17 AM   #21
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan
Default Re: Gas prices - will they change your travel plans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
So much for a break at the pumps.
Oil rose $5.87/bbl today.
They already announced a $0.06/liter jump tonight overnight.
Hope springs eternal, not sure what the motivation was, but I just read the CME has
bumped the margin 25% on crude oil futures, in an attempt to curb fly by night
speculation. The price of crude rose Monday by about 5%, but in early worldwide
trading has pulled back almost 2% of that jump, since the increase in the price of
speculation.
Who knows, maybe the prices will drop as we approach the summer driving season?
As I said, fingers crossed. When we get some unexpected stuff at home taken care of,
we hope to be mobile. No idea which direction, but that's our level of planning.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:04 AM   #22

We may miss the earlier days of RV’ing, that easy going road friendliness that was the culture wherever you went, where gas mileage was not a concern, merely a hobby. They were getting 8-12mpg. Most people accepted the higher cost of traveling this way and just put another shrimp-on-the-barbie. It was worth it and still is … even in these trying economic times.

I know I’m preaching to the choir, but nothing has significantly changed. B’s offer the road freedom and flexibility that is hard to beat. Admittedly, I’m getting 23-25mpg, but that’s just a bonus that adds to the unique experience of independent travel with a view. But we are paying a premium price for our B’s. Gas costs should not be the primary issue for most; it is the up front cost of purchase. These are not ‘frugal recreation’ vehicles. They are different recreation vehicles, perhaps lower cost than Class A and more costly than Class C, but we appreciate and pay for the BVan advantages.

Fuel cost is only the most visible cost, long after the purchase cost had been forgotten. But our maintenance costs are typically lower than the others. The pride of ownership and self investment we all make in our vans has value as well. We need to forget the gas and remember the fun.
Orca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 01:29 AM   #23
Platinum Member

Not much price relief in sight, almost 3 months since I started the thread, and that's very disappointing.
Oil has pulled back almost 18% since then, but the price of gas has only reduced by about 6-7% which is just
so much more discouraging. We're being robbed, and there's nothing reasonable that we can do about it.
At some point, I may have to find another hobby, if this keeps up.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:15 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Just loaded mine out yesterday - $3.39....wanted to dance!! I have driven my RT back and forth from FL to VA and side trips while at each place. We are not going to change our lifestyle - too old to bother right now. When in town, I like being able to crash on the bed and watch tv, light off the generator for a/c and a pot of coffee. I would imagine we wouldn't be hearing that from our counterparts with the A's, but then we all made our choices, ha!! Happy 4th to all and have a safe summer. Ron
Old 07-04-2011, 10:23 PM   #25
Platinum Member

10,000+ miles so far on our new B before the 4th of July
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:57 AM   #26
Platinum Member

I haven't done much traveling with the house reno etc.......

But, one way to account for the cost of a B is to make it work as a second vehicle. We're going to try to do it although I am loathe to drive it for errands on salty winter roads.....
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:16 PM   #27

Interesting here it is a few years later and...... still smiling still driving. Like the addicted smoker "When I started smoking ,a pack was .35 cents now they are $ 6.00 dollars a pack. Question.. So why dont you stop? Answer.. I'm addicted to the darn things. I feel the same way about my chevy camper van. Truth is regardless of the price of gas , I will cut a cost elsewhere to travel in it. I guess im addicted to the darn thing. The goal in life is to die with just enough to cover your burial !
dawnordusk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:59 PM   #28
Platinum Member

I solved the gas price problem by moving to a border city 1.5 years ago. Cross border shopping can really stretch your retirement budget. I kept my RV "hobby" and have added several others.
As for burial money, the state will do it for you if you die a pauper.
Nothing flashy, but I don't think you'll care at that point.
Spend it ALL!!!
Old 03-22-2014, 06:38 PM   #29
Gold Member

Not planning on changing any of our travel plans. Two big tips planned for the year one down south next month and one in fall to the east coast.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:21 PM   #30
Platinum Member

We got rid of our old motorhome because we could not afford the gas and it was getting too old. We now have a smaller camper to pull behind my truck. As far as gas prices, it has an effect on my families travels although my son and I have been going on a boat trip the last few summers. Considering my boat gets about 4 to 6mpg it costs a lot more than a camper but the peace and scenery if phenomenal. Not having to pay for a campground helps offset the price. I buy a season pass that allows me to camp at lock stations as much as I want for the entire summer season. Last year we traveled the entire Trent Severn Waterway which is 365km long (one way) with 43 locks and we did it one way and then came back and this summer we are planning to travel the World Historic site, the Rideau Canal from Kingston Ontario to Ottawa and back.
renrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:16 AM   #31
Rok
Platinum Member

We have a fairly extensive cross country trip scheduled this summer, and we don't plan to change any of it. We really can't. We have reservations a number of places along the trip and are getting more as we flesh out the entire plan. Most of it will be hit and miss on the campgrounds as we plod along (so if they aren't busy, that will be good for us), but there are some parts where we have to be a certain place at a certain time, etc. and we've already paid for activities, etc. and they are not refundable.

Fuel prices would have to get awfully high for us to scuttle our trip.

Since we started this just last year, we probably haven't seen the really low diesel prices some of you have, so we really don't know any different from experience anyway.

...Rocky
Rok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:05 PM   #32
Platinum Member

Diesel is running around $3.659 to $3.759 in south Texas.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote