Old 04-16-2011, 01:38 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan
Default Gas prices - will they change your travel plans?

Our gas prices just topped $1.30/L ($4.94/USgallon) and the US average price is around $1/L ($3.80/USgallon)
so we're delaying our planned trip in a couple of weeks (sorry Davydd, probably won't make Tombstone) to see what
happens.
Maybe if/when the economies of North America begin to contract under the weight of OPEC, someone will
do something, or there will be a waning demand sell off of oil and the price will come down (and the TSX and C$ too).
I hate to let the price of gas determine our travel plans, but that's how it is for us right now. The same trip
last year would have cost 1/2 to 2/3 of today's price for fuel.

Old 04-16-2011, 07:50 PM   #2
g1g
Platinum Member

Default Re: Gas prices - will they change your travel plans?

As much as I hate to say it I think that it will be affecting my plans too.

g1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 01:47 AM   #3
Platinum Member

I would be willing to bet if these prices keep going up, we will see a glut of RV's being sold. I just spoke with a couple who are talking about trading in their full size vehicle for a compact. I don't gather the logic involved there, your taking a bath on the trade, and knowing your paying top dollar for the "economy" car. In mid-March I left for VA for a two week medical check-up, gas was in the mid 3's. We are sked to leave for the summer on 11 May.....ouch, but it could be a whole lot worse - could own one of those big A's. You know what really concerns me when we speak of fuel is the availability in the future. During our trip we seen gas stations/quick-stops that have closed. Around this area we have notice 4 Shells that have closed up.....the future is definitely fragile. When we return to VA, the RT goes down for a rest.....the entire summer! Safe travels.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:15 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I suppose you could argue that if gas does come back down again, you can call the recent prices
capital losses and think in terms that they've offset themselves (capital gains) when prices were
cheaper (anyone remember March '09 $1.65/USgal?). I actually hope we get the demand pull back
we saw in summer '08 when the oil prices hit $145/bbl and gas up here was about $1.45/L and
things sell off and return to more moderate prices.
As I've said elsewhere, we're going to take a chance and just wait and see what happens in the
short term, before we head out again. We don't need to travel that badly that we'll pay these prices.
We will travel again, though, just not sure when at this point.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:57 AM   #5
Bronze Member

I'm close to retirement but haven't crossed that line yet so we haven't been able to do a lot of long trips. We've been planning a couple longer ones for 2011. Cost isn't a factor for one of the trips. Our son's Marine Corp battalion will return from Afghanistan in August. It's a 1600 mile round trip but the price of gas isn't a factor for that trip. We will be at Camp Lejeune even if gas is $10 per gallon.

The other trip isn't as definate. We are thinking about a trip to visit friends in Wyoming. If we can find the time to do that trip, we will probably go another 200 miles and visit Yellowstone. That's probably a 4,000 mile trip so we would use 250 to 280 gallons of gas. Current gas prices are up a dollar a gallon from last year so the total trip would cost about $250 to $280 more this year compared to 2010. That's not a deal breaker but higher prices (like $4.50 to $5.00 gas) would probably make us rethink the long trip and do a short trip or two close to home.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:59 AM   #6
Bronze Member

I'm close to retirement but haven't crossed that line yet so we haven't been able to do a lot of long trips. We've been planning a couple longer ones for 2011. Cost isn't a factor for one of the trips. Our son's Marine Corp battalion will return from Afghanistan in August. It's a 1600 mile round trip but the price of gas isn't a factor for that trip. We will be at Camp Lejeune even if gas is $10 per gallon.

The other trip isn't as definate. We are thinking about a trip to visit friends in Wyoming. If we can find the time to do that trip, we will probably go another 200 miles and visit Yellowstone. That's probably a 4,000 mile trip so we would use 250 to 280 gallons of gas. Current gas prices are up a dollar a gallon from last year so the total trip would cost about $250 to $280 more this year compared to 2010. That's not a deal breaker but higher prices (like $4.50 to $5.00 gas) would probably make us rethink the long trip and do a short trip or two close to home.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:59 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Gas prices and now complete transmission failures too.
My everyday vehicle's tranny just gave up the ghost.
It's a 2002 Escape XLT with 215,000 kms on it.
It was totally unexpected, but I did just spend another $900
on a bank's worth of coil packs 2 weeks ago, so I should have
expected this. I wish it had decided to fail 3 weeks ago before
I'd spent the other cash on it.
I've got 2 irons in the fire waiting for repair/replace pricing, but
I'm thinking new/used car.
What to do, what to do????......
Old 05-08-2011, 02:38 AM   #8
Platinum Member

We just completed a 39 day 6,350 mile trip and will head out in about a week on another 2,000 mile plus trip and another 3,000 mile trip in July. I look at it this way. If you are worried now you might as well sell your B. I don't think it will be any better in the future.

Diesel ran anywhere from $3.969/US gal. (Iowa) to $4.699/US gal. (California) on our recent trip. Most common was $4.199 to $4.299. Home in Minnesota it is running $4.099.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:05 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Next week we're going to do about 4,000 km (~2,400 miles), but on our motorcycle. I just installed a drain on my fresh water tank - that's right, it was drainless - and we'll be taking it out on short jaunts in June. I'm finding out that most campsites require reservations in the last year or so, so to just amble off aimlessly and see where the road takes me is not as appealing as it once was. Of course, motels are always available, but then we may as well take the two-wheeler, which we enjoy about as much as the Class B.
2011 Malibu LT - wonderful winter wheels
Johnny R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:40 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
We just completed a 39 day 6,350 mile trip and will head out in about a week on another 2,000 mile plus trip and another 3,000 mile trip in July. I look at it this way. If you are worried now you might as well sell your B. I don't think it will be any better in the future.

Diesel ran anywhere from $3.969/US gal. (Iowa) to $4.699/US gal. (California) on our recent trip. Most common was $4.199 to $4.299. Home in Minnesota it is running $4.099.
I don't necessarily think being penny-wise and watching when and where you spend your money is being "worried".
I think it's just a reality for many people. That's why many of us chose a class B in the first place. Frugal recreation.