Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2013, 12:44 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default MPG trending down

My vans mpg numbers are down. No doubt gaining almost 1,000 lbs hasn't helped.

Last 3 results are 15.86, 18.02 & 15.52 mpg (US). The 18.02 anomaly is most likely due to fueling up once at a full serve pump. I almost always go to self serve and "top off" when refueling. Also, the following 15.52 mpg result would be caused by the the less than topped off tank previously.

I lost all my previous records when I upgraded the app I use to track mpg. My previous average was 17 mpg consistently. My current average is 16.29 mpg. I started recording the data on my iPod and also in a spreadsheet now.

I think having the bikes extended approximately 2 feet back from the rear doors of my van is acting a bit like a parachute and that would affect mpg and I am fully loaded with "stuff" in the van right now so it is heavier than ever before.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:48 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: MPG trending down

I wonder if part of it might be due to some gas stations starting to use E-15 instead of E-10, and not stating anything about it, because the state allowed it to happen.

There is also the preoxygenated blends that some states use which also can cause issues.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:47 PM   #3
Platinum Member

With numbers like 15.86 & 15.52 mpg I can see why anyone would think it runs on gas but my van is diesel

You can easily see why there aren't many Chevy and GM based diesel Class B's. It just wasn't worth the price premium for the diesel engine.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:46 PM   #4
Platinum Member

*facepalm* My bad. You even had the fact that your van is a diesel is in your .sig.

I wouldn't say it was a bad decision to go with a diesel. AFAIK, you have better engine life, and the torque is good. For a 1997-aged van, which is going on 15+ years, the MPG numbers are pretty good. A modern F-150 gets the same numbers and is at least 2000-3000 pounds lighter.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 06:39 PM   #5

I suspect too don't have enough miles on your van.My last two Chevy vans both did 22 mpg consistently and both had 200,000-400,000 km on them.I still drive the express van and am working on camperizing it.
charlessfolly is offline   Reply With Quote