Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2018, 02:48 AM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Question for RoadTrek owners

I was curious about the newer RoadTreks with like the 8.0 L Chevy big blocks. What kind of mileage are you getting? I love my rig, but would really like to one day upgrade to a newer Road Trek. Mainly because I love driving in hilly areas (Kentucky, South Dakota, Tennessee) and sometimes my rig really struggles to make it up a steep grade.

Do you take a big hit in fuel economy with the Chevy big block?
Nutsy_squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 04:01 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutsy_squirrel View Post
I was curious about the newer RoadTreks with like the 8.0 L Chevy big blocks. What kind of mileage are you getting? I love my rig, but would really like to one day upgrade to a newer Road Trek. Mainly because I love driving in hilly areas (Kentucky, South Dakota, Tennessee) and sometimes my rig really struggles to make it up a steep grade.

What Roadtrek Chevy has a 8.0L V8?
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 04:30 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Default What are you driving now?

Quote:

OK..hilly areas in the three states you mentioned... they're not that steep compared to the Rockies... what do you mean struggling?

I don't know of any 8 litre Chevy's either.... ?

OK, just saw your other post about having a 1994 Pleasure Way with a 318 V8 and 11 to 13 MPG.... not bad for an older vehicle.

If you want real power from a smaller engine and good fuel efficiency, consider a diesel engine.... diesels don't normally struggle too much.
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 10:54 AM   #4
Platinum Member

OP would have to be talking about the last of the generation of Chevies before the current redesign in about 2003. A year or two before that, the "big block" option, which was still available for the vans, changed from being the 454 CID (7.4L) to the 8.1L. Big blocks disappeared with the redesign so from then on only small blocks of 6.0L or smaller were available.

By all accounts that I have seen they do drink a lot of gas. IIRC folks were talking 10-12mpg, so about a 5mpg hit for the big engine.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 01:25 PM   #5
Bud
Platinum Member

Hi Nutsy_squirrel,

I agree with booster's assessment of the 6.0L vs the previous Chevrolet engines, a noticeable difference in fuel mileage.

Concerning "real power": Well, power is horsepower which the Express Van 6.L engine has a lot of compared to any sprinter diesel. More hp than any Sprinter at less than 3000 rpm with more yet using some more throttle, 300 hp then in about 2006 325 hp. The total price of all that power is Less than any sprinter. Price and Power are not sprinter advantages, but there definitely are some.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 06:06 PM   #6
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
OK..hilly areas in the three states you mentioned... they're not that steep compared to the Rockies... what do you mean struggling?

I don't know of any 8 litre Chevy's either.... ?

OK, just saw your other post about having a 1994 Pleasure Way with a 318 V8 and 11 to 13 MPG.... not bad for an older vehicle.

If you want real power from a smaller engine and good fuel efficiency, consider a diesel engine.... diesels don't normally struggle too much.
If anyone could suggest a small turbo diesel I could drop in I would do it in a heartbeat! Wouldn't that be nice! I would even settle for a Dodge big block in my van just to get some more ponies for those steep uphills.

Far as hills go, you might be surprised. I certainly was. The road into Keystone SD and up to Rushmore was very steep, I had to floor it to keep going up. And downshift like crazy going down. One of the worst roads was the way up to Monte Sano in Alabama. And Chattanooga is a loooooong descent coming from Alabama. It's steeper than one might think.
Old 12-18-2018, 06:44 PM   #7
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
If anyone could suggest a small turbo diesel I could drop in I would do it in a heartbeat! Wouldn't that be nice! I would even settle for a Dodge big block in my van just to get some more ponies for those steep uphills.

Far as hills go, you might be surprised. I certainly was. The road into Keystone SD and up to Rushmore was very steep, I had to floor it to keep going up. And downshift like crazy going down. One of the worst roads was the way up to Monte Sano in Alabama. And Chattanooga is a loooooong descent coming from Alabama. It's steeper than one might think.
What's your b? With a 6.0L Express Van engine I've 'been there, done that' with nowhere near any full throttle up to Rushmore. Down Hill? My express van brakes with 100+K miles are half used WITH downshifting, any engine.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 08:24 PM   #8
Gold Member

My experience is like Bud, I have an Xplorer with the Dodge 360 and have plenty of power for the Cascades and the Rockies.

In fact, power to climb hills is not a problem - it's having enough brakes to safely descend those same hills that I worry about.

Dave
D&J Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 08:54 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&J Phillips View Post
My experience is like Bud, I have an Xplorer with the Dodge 360 and have plenty of power for the Cascades and the Rockies.

In fact, power to climb hills is not a problem - it's having enough brakes to safely descend those same hills that I worry about.

Dave
This was a chronic problem for coaches delivered with 727 three speed transmissions It was addressed in an aftermarket product called Gear Vendor which increased the tranny to six speeds permitting more effective braking in extended downhill runs. It was a brake saving (if not life saving) improvement.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 09:52 PM   #10
Bronze Member

My van just has the Dodge 318 5.2 L so it struggles to get up any big hill. That's why I was wondering about the Chevy big block RoadTreks for my next unit.

And like others have said, getting down is the worst part. My van has the old front disc, rear drum setup. It's not so bad on relatively straight downhills, but with the hairpin turns that is where I really worry.
Old 12-23-2018, 04:41 PM   #11
Platinum Member

My Sprinter handles hills with ease, in the east and the west. Not high horsepower compared to american gas engines, but plenty of torque and a transmission to match...and decent mileage too. RT just introduced a new van on a Ford chassis so I wonder if there will be enough interest in the legacy Chevy models to keep them in production.
Belzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 05:49 PM   #12

Default 8 L engine

I had a 2002 Winnebago class C, on the Chevy chassis with the 8.0 L engine. I consistently got right around 12.5 miles per gallon. I got the same mileage up and down hills, and on level stretches. I got the same mileage even if I was towing a trailer. And this engine felt like it had had enough power to climb straight up a wall, I think. I never tried driving faster than 55 mph.
Lazy Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 05:57 PM   #13

We have a Roadtrek 210P with a 6.0L engine, which is what I think you're referring to Nutsy_Squirell. We have NO problem with power going up an hill, but like any non diesel engine there are grades of highway, like the Coquihalla Hwy in BC, Canada. I have always geared down to get more power for certain grades going up. As far as going down major grades, again I gear down, but I have to admit it could use a brake assist like Gear Vendor to help with this purpose as there are not enough gears to truly help with steep grades, I just take my time. I will check out the Gear Vendor that Cruising7388 mentioned. Hope this helps.

I had a diesel cummins a few years back, could concour any hill, but again having a brake assist system would have been ideal.
scrndoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 06:45 PM   #14

Default Bib Block Roadtrek

I have a 1995 Roadtrek 190 P with the Chevy 7.8l (454 cid) engine. And love it. THe issue is less horsepower per se and more of torque available at normal road speeds (not at "red line" where it commonly is listed. THe 454 just breezes up steep hills.

Yes, when you are really pulling on that big engine the gas flows through it dramatically in my rig at betrween 8-10 mpg. However on the flats where the engine is purring along in the power band and at normal speeds (60-65 mph) it gets 11-15 depending on my driving smoothness.

THis engine is a hot-rodder's dream and can be significantly imp[roved in that midrange and with better mileage with a better exhaust from headers to tail and with a better rammed cold air intake.
`
ndavidking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 07:23 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndavidking View Post
I have a 1995 Roadtrek 190 P with the Chevy 7.8l (454 cid) engine. And love it. THe issue is less horsepower per se and more of torque available at normal road speeds (not at "red line" where it commonly is listed. THe 454 just breezes up steep hills.

Yes, when you are really pulling on that big engine the gas flows through it dramatically in my rig at betrween 8-10 mpg. However on the flats where the engine is purring along in the power band and at normal speeds (60-65 mph) it gets 11-15 depending on my driving smoothness.

THis engine is a hot-rodder's dream and can be significantly imp[roved in that midrange and with better mileage with a better exhaust from headers to tail and with a better rammed cold air intake.
`
That's exactly the way I feel as well about our 6.0L, just breezes along on the flats.
scrndoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 12:08 AM   #16

I have a Chevy 200 with 5.7 liter. Pretty much always get just under 14 miles per gallon.
drober05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 01:06 AM   #17
Bronze Member

i have Chevy 6.0 15 mpg consistently 2012 Roadtrek popular 210.6 epeed trans.
robert g is offline   Reply With Quote