Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2011, 11:45 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan
Default Re: Scan Gauge

I picked one up 2 weeks ago in Myrtle Beach, SC. There are about 5 authorized dealers in Canada that
are listed on the SG website, all of which aren't near me. It's easier/cheaper for me to wait to buy stuff
in the US when we're on vacation, so I just make a list, and check it twice, whenever I'm Coming to
America.
Picked up a new laptop 2 weeks ago, ordered WM online, site to store (of my choice on my route, with
the lowest State sales tax). Lovely little HP medium performance number, for about 2/3 price of a
comparable in Canada.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:48 PM   #22
g1g
Platinum Member

Mike I like your thought on ordering and shipping to a store on route in state with low tax. I never thought of that. Are the delivery dates accurate that you time it for when you will be there or have to camp out until it comes in?
g1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:05 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g1g
Mike I like your thought on ordering and shipping to a store on route in state with low tax. I never thought of that. Are the delivery dates accurate that you time it for when you will be there or have to camp out until it comes in?
First time the shipment was a day early , last time it was a day late , but we were planning to
return via the same route and picked it up on the way back. Create an account at Walmart.com then place
your order, and select different States from their site to store system. If you find one that has really low sales tax
(WV, KY, PA are pretty low) order it online, and have it shipped to a store that's close to your planned route. You can
take the online order process right up to the checkout stage, and it'll show you the total price, including taxes for each
store location. Just be careful when you're testing the sales taxes, not to complete the order, until you decide on a
shipping location. There's a confirmation of checkout, so be careful you don't confirm one you don't want. If you do,
there's a chance you can cancel the errant order, but you have to be quick, or call them right away. Also, if you do order
something, you have 21 days to pick it up when it's ready, or they will assume you don't want it and send it back, and
refund your purchase price to your credit card. The store may phone you to verify you don't want it, too.
Walmart.com will send you email alerts at various stages of the process, order/payment received/verified,
item shipped, and you can usually track it's whereabouts through your Walmart.com userid, and then when it is
ready for pick up. Go to the site to store area, and bring your printed scanable receipt, or if you don't have a printer
with you, just tell them the order number, your phone number and show picture id.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:01 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Looks like my ScanGauge works in my 1997 GMC Savana 6.5L Turbo Diesel.

I was worried that it wouldn't after reading the Compatible Vehicles list: http://www.scangauge.com/support/Compat ... cles.shtml

Quote:
1997 - WORKS ON ALL EXCEPT: Ford, GM and Dodge trucks with diesel engines.
I set the engine and fuel type and it works. MPG is what I expected. Maybe a van is not the same as a truck or mine is a late model 1997. It is nice to get RPM's and useful to display MPH when traveling in the U.S.

2000 RPM's (around 63 MPH highway) seems to be very efficient.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:34 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
Looks like my ScanGauge works in my 1997 GMC Savana 6.5L Turbo Diesel.

I was worried that it wouldn't after reading the Compatible Vehicles list: http://www.scangauge.com/support/Compat ... cles.shtml

Quote:
1997 - WORKS ON ALL EXCEPT: Ford, GM and Dodge trucks with diesel engines.
I set the engine and fuel type and it works. MPG is what I expected. Maybe a van is not the same as a truck or mine is a late model 1997. It is nice to get RPM's and useful to display MPH when traveling in the U.S.

2000 RPM's (around 63 MPH highway) seems to be very efficient.
What instrumentation did the van come with? Any gauges related to the diesel functions?
Old 05-27-2011, 01:18 PM   #26
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
What instrumentation did the van come with? Any gauges related to the diesel functions?
Oil pressure, coolant temperature, fuel gauge, battery voltage, speedometer with odometer.

There are some warning lights specific to the diesel engine:
1. Wait to start (for the glow plugs - you have to wait until the light goes out before starting the engine)
2. Water in fuel warning
3. Service throttle soon

According to the manual, if I can't get winter diesel (winterized 2-D, or 1-D) US - when it stays below 0 degrees F - I could add 1 gallon of kerosene for every 2 gallons of diesel.

US - 2-D diesel year round
US - 1-D diesel when it stays below 0 degrees F
Canada type "A" when it stays below 0 degrees F
Canada type "B" when it is above 0 degrees F (-18C)

I assume the gas stations just do the switchover when needed.

Edit: The ScanGauge has different diesel options to pick from but it isn't for fuel blend:
Quote:
DIESELa and DIESELb do not refer to different types of diesel fuel.
They only affect the way fuel consumption is computed and are selected
based on the way the vehicle computer reports its sensor information.
Most diesel vehicles use the DIESELa setting. To determine which
your diesel vehicle uses, do the following:
With ENGINE SIZE set, DIESELa chosen for fuel, the engine
warmed up to operating temperature and idling in neutral or park, select
GAUGE and make one of the gauges show RPM and another show GPH.
Note the GPH value. Next, use the throttle to raise the engine RPM to
about 1500 RPM. If the GPH reading increased, you have a DIESELa
vehicle. If the GPH dropped or stayed the same, you have a DIESELb
vehicle and should change the Fuel Type to DIESELb.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 01:21 AM   #27
Platinum Member

I thought kerosene (of some sort) is used as, or in, aviation fuel. Are most propeller airplane
engines rotary, and therefore diesel style? Interesting about adding it to the regular diesel fuel.
I guess to increase it's volatility, increase it's ability to combust?
Old 06-02-2011, 06:28 PM   #28
Platinum Member

Jet-A fuel is a type of kerosene, used in commercial airliners and other jet-engine planes.

There may be some piston-driven airplane-engines that run on Jet-A; but I have never seen or heard of any.
2014 Honda CR-V
1965 Dodge Coronet 440
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:29 AM   #29
Platinum Member

I wonder if a rotary engine (non-piston, like the Wankel) would run on Jet-A more efficiently than
regular gasoline? I always wondered if the rotary was closer to a diesel two stroke than a 4 stroke piston
style engine. I also thought they were a superior choice for airplane applications, as they create less
vibration than a more classic piston engine block design.
I'm probably in over my head here as far as the physics/mechanics goes.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:50 AM   #30

Just ordered one online through Gifford Auto (google Scan Gauge Canada) price $154,95 CDN or $175.99 with tax.

You can pay with PayPal if you refer not to use your CC online.

I was going to install a tach and a trans temp gauge on the RV anyway, would have cost me more, This way I can get more data at less cost.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:48 AM   #31

Wow, just ordered it online yesterday, and today it showed up at the house by Canada Post!!

When was the last time you got service like that. Anyway I will read the manual tonight LOL) and install it tomorrow!

John
Old 09-09-2011, 01:18 AM   #32
Platinum Member

Just curious. I've browsed the manuals and figured out a few things.
2 questions.
1) I have the codes (GM I think?) for a Transmission Temperature display, but have no idea how to use/apply it.
2) Are the "gallons" used in any display using it, like MPG, in US or Imperial? I would guess US (3.8L/gallon?).
Makes a difference when I'm using fuel economy for example.
Has anyone used the LOD display? Does it seem useful or even accurate?
Old 09-12-2011, 09:06 PM   #33
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
Just curious. I've browsed the manuals and figured out a few things.
2 questions.
1) I have the codes (GM I think?) for a Transmission Temperature display, but have no idea how to use/apply it.
2) Are the "gallons" used in any display using it, like MPG, in US or Imperial? I would guess US (3.8L/gallon?).
Makes a difference when I'm using fuel economy for example.
Has anyone used the LOD display? Does it seem useful or even accurate?
I forgot how I did it, but the manual tells how to make the "coded" options available in your "Gauge" screen. I named my Trans Fluid Temp "TFT". Then I just used the TFT in the Gauge.

Gallons are gallons (3.8L/gallon). Imperial Gallons are Imperial Gallons. Does anyone use that? Don't you use "liters" in Canada?

"LOD" is always up on my "Gauge" screen. It seems fairly accurate. I use it to show me how much I don't need to press the peddle. I do get better mileage using it and the instant "MPG" info.

I have used my ScanGauge on two different vehicles, and it is very interesting to see the differences between Toyota and Chevrolet, in the way they control downshifting, based on engine-load.
2014 Honda CR-V
1965 Dodge Coronet 440
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:29 PM   #34
Platinum Member

I have had one, but forgot to bring it along on this last trip into the NC/TN Mountains....credit card has taken some big hits, ha!!! When I get home, and pay that bill, I am going to leave it in the Trek. We have been to numerous motorcycle rallies, and a Cam-Am Rally in Maggie Valley, NC. - that is a ride I think I might own in the not to distant future!!
Old 09-13-2011, 03:01 AM   #35
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog
I forgot how I did it, but the manual tells how to make the "coded" options available in your "Gauge" screen. I named my Trans Fluid Temp "TFT". Then I just used the TFT in the Gauge.
No worries, I'll figure it out. If it's in the manual somewhere, I'll find it. I find the manual a bit confusing, as it seems to bleed one topic over into the next, without a logical title or paragraph change.

Quote:
Gallons are gallons (3.8L/gallon). Imperial Gallons are Imperial Gallons. Does anyone use that? Don't you use "liters" in Canada?
I didn't know which was the default type of gallon. So, it's US gallons, 3.8 litres? I haven't seen Imperial Gallons on mine yet as an option, but I'm only just learning the ropes with it. I think I've seen liters mentioned in the manual. I'll look again.
re Canada: We used to use Imperial Gallons in Canada up until 1974 I think, when we were forced to switch to litres, by a
bi-polar former Prime Minister who thought we should be more homologous in our system of weights and measures with Europe, so we could increase our trade with them. It never happened. (Idiot!!!) I still think in inches, pounds and I-gallons (where Steve Jobs supposedly got the oringinal "I-" idea?)

Quote:
"LOD" is always up on my "Gauge" screen. It seems fairly accurate. I use it to show me how much I don't need to press the peddle. I do get better mileage using it and the instant "MPG" info.
I like it. I use RPMs, fWT, LOD and VLTs on mine. I'm more curious about electrical economy and water temperature while driving (charge level) than mpg I guess. I used to have MPG up on it instead of VLTs. I may toggle it between LOD and MPG, which fluctuates wildly when I'm driving based on road conditions, wind resistance, pedal pressure, and a myriad of other factors, so I switched to LOD. More stable.

Quote:
I have used my ScanGauge on two different vehicles, and it is very interesting to see the differences between Toyota and Chevrolet, in the way they control downshifting, based on engine-load.
I haven't tried it to do overall daily mileage, or fuel economy, but when I get the hang of this thing over our impending trip west, I'll start switching it to the other cars for fun when we get back.