Old 06-07-2011, 08:48 PM   #31

Default Re: Scan Gauge

Wow, just ordered it online yesterday, and today it showed up at the house by Canada Post!!

When was the last time you got service like that. Anyway I will read the manual tonight LOL) and install it tomorrow!

John

Old 09-08-2011, 09:18 PM   #32
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Just curious. I've browsed the manuals and figured out a few things.
2 questions.
1) I have the codes (GM I think?) for a Transmission Temperature display, but have no idea how to use/apply it.
2) Are the "gallons" used in any display using it, like MPG, in US or Imperial? I would guess US (3.8L/gallon?).
Makes a difference when I'm using fuel economy for example.
Has anyone used the LOD display? Does it seem useful or even accurate?

Old 09-12-2011, 05:06 PM   #33
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
Just curious. I've browsed the manuals and figured out a few things.
2 questions.
1) I have the codes (GM I think?) for a Transmission Temperature display, but have no idea how to use/apply it.
2) Are the "gallons" used in any display using it, like MPG, in US or Imperial? I would guess US (3.8L/gallon?).
Makes a difference when I'm using fuel economy for example.
Has anyone used the LOD display? Does it seem useful or even accurate?
I forgot how I did it, but the manual tells how to make the "coded" options available in your "Gauge" screen. I named my Trans Fluid Temp "TFT". Then I just used the TFT in the Gauge.

Gallons are gallons (3.8L/gallon). Imperial Gallons are Imperial Gallons. Does anyone use that? Don't you use "liters" in Canada?

"LOD" is always up on my "Gauge" screen. It seems fairly accurate. I use it to show me how much I don't need to press the peddle. I do get better mileage using it and the instant "MPG" info.

I have used my ScanGauge on two different vehicles, and it is very interesting to see the differences between Toyota and Chevrolet, in the way they control downshifting, based on engine-load.
2014 Honda CR-V
1965 Dodge Coronet 440
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 05:29 PM   #34
Platinum Member

I have had one, but forgot to bring it along on this last trip into the NC/TN Mountains....credit card has taken some big hits, ha!!! When I get home, and pay that bill, I am going to leave it in the Trek. We have been to numerous motorcycle rallies, and a Cam-Am Rally in Maggie Valley, NC. - that is a ride I think I might own in the not to distant future!!
Old 09-12-2011, 11:01 PM   #35
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog
I forgot how I did it, but the manual tells how to make the "coded" options available in your "Gauge" screen. I named my Trans Fluid Temp "TFT". Then I just used the TFT in the Gauge.
No worries, I'll figure it out. If it's in the manual somewhere, I'll find it. I find the manual a bit confusing, as it seems to bleed one topic over into the next, without a logical title or paragraph change.

Quote:
Gallons are gallons (3.8L/gallon). Imperial Gallons are Imperial Gallons. Does anyone use that? Don't you use "liters" in Canada?
I didn't know which was the default type of gallon. So, it's US gallons, 3.8 litres? I haven't seen Imperial Gallons on mine yet as an option, but I'm only just learning the ropes with it. I think I've seen liters mentioned in the manual. I'll look again.
re Canada: We used to use Imperial Gallons in Canada up until 1974 I think, when we were forced to switch to litres, by a
bi-polar former Prime Minister who thought we should be more homologous in our system of weights and measures with Europe, so we could increase our trade with them. It never happened. (Idiot!!!) I still think in inches, pounds and I-gallons (where Steve Jobs supposedly got the oringinal "I-" idea?)

Quote:
"LOD" is always up on my "Gauge" screen. It seems fairly accurate. I use it to show me how much I don't need to press the peddle. I do get better mileage using it and the instant "MPG" info.
I like it. I use RPMs, fWT, LOD and VLTs on mine. I'm more curious about electrical economy and water temperature while driving (charge level) than mpg I guess. I used to have MPG up on it instead of VLTs. I may toggle it between LOD and MPG, which fluctuates wildly when I'm driving based on road conditions, wind resistance, pedal pressure, and a myriad of other factors, so I switched to LOD. More stable.

Quote:
I have used my ScanGauge on two different vehicles, and it is very interesting to see the differences between Toyota and Chevrolet, in the way they control downshifting, based on engine-load.
I haven't tried it to do overall daily mileage, or fuel economy, but when I get the hang of this thing over our impending trip west, I'll start switching it to the other cars for fun when we get back.