Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2017, 12:35 AM   #1

Default 1st RV....VERY excited!

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]We are picking up our first RV next Saturday. Since this purchase was my idea I hope it brings my husband and me a lot of exciting adventures. We're retired and looking forward to exploring the US "with our dog" during the fall and winter months. We have a lot to learn. At least both being sailors we are used to packing light. I know it will take me awhile to get organized and I look forward to reading threads about space, what to pack/not pack, and suggestions on travel and where to stay...all new to us! Our RV is a Coachmen Galleria and I am VERY excited to start the next adventures in our lives!![/FONT]
Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 01:01 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Welcome. This is a nice forum. Helpful folks.

So..... what did you get?
gklugie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 01:17 AM   #3

A new 2016 (never titled) Coachmen Galleria! Loving that I am comfortable driving this!
Old 07-31-2017, 02:37 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Welcome! We just bought a Coachmen Crossfit and I pestered these folks for months before the purchase - everyone is really helpful and friendly here!

Where are you planning to go?
Old 07-31-2017, 05:14 PM   #5

Hi, Phoebe! YES, I also did a lot of research before we made this purchase. LOL, when we went to dealerships I entered with a pile of paperwork and a notebook for the questions that I had. And still, we managed to purchase a model with no inverter...arghhhhh...just assumed it had one. So now the list begins of needed upgrades.
We'll be staying close to home for awhile until we know the Galleria inside and out. Fortunately there are several great state parks nearby. Late fall I hope to head to CA, AZ, and NV for a few weeks. After that, who knows...some of the best plans for travel are no plans. How about you?
Old 07-31-2017, 05:25 PM   #6
BBQ
Platinum Member

An inverter is a double edged sword. It is a nice thing to have, but the service comes with a price -- upgraded battery as well as an upgraded recharging system, whether solar and/or generator.

This is a new journey, a new life. You should learn to adapt to the new living style -- accept all the pleasures and its associated limitations. An inverter is just one of the limitations. With careful planning, you can minimize your dependence on it. You can even eliminate it.
Old 07-31-2017, 05:51 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I think we have pretty much come to the conclusion that we don't need one. We can use 12V power for our computers (laptops) and so the only other things that require 120V are the microwave and the A/C. The AC takes so much power that an inverter won't help unless we significantly upgrade the batteries and we don't use the microwave that much. So far, when 120V has been needed, we have been able to use shore power or the generator without issue.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

An inverter is a double edged sword. It is a nice thing to have, but the service comes with a price -- upgraded battery as well as an upgraded recharging system, whether solar and/or generator.

This is a new journey, a new life. You should learn to adapt to the new living style -- accept all the pleasures and its associated limitations. An inverter is just one of the limitations. With careful planning, you can minimize your dependence on it. You can even eliminate it.
I'm sure you're right. I'm also sure there are 1001 opinions about this.
My husband suggested that we use the Galleria for "awhile" before making any decisions on needed upgrades...you and he are on the same page. Fine minds think alike!

We're sailors and use solar and have an inverter, so I assumed with the RV we would want the same. We do have solar on the Galleria, but it's a small 100w panel...considering upgrade in the future. The Galleria also has an induction cooktop, so it will be faster cooking, but does need electricity. Presently the only hurdle I see is my husband making his coffee at 5am each morning?? I'm used to stepping down to the galley on the boat and cooking/preparing a meal as we head towards our destination. LOL, my husband reminded me that no worry about that with the Galleria...I'll be in a seatbelt anytime we're moving. We're used to boating off-grid and it works well for us...after our learning curve. I'm hopeful that with our RV, it will be the same.

BBQ, your advice is appreciated!! We need to step back and take some baby steps instead of moving forward at wharp speed to make sure we really do need to make any upgrades. Too often the $$ spent add to more headaches with logistics and maintaining than the benefits! Thanks Again!!

Old 07-31-2017, 08:10 PM   #9
Bronze Member

Please can you let me know how your Nova Kool refrigerator does in hot weather. Thank you
Coachmen Crossfit owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 08:28 PM   #10
Bronze Member

We rent a galleria and love it. Congrats
Lkwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 09:50 PM   #11
Platinum Member

I've had two 3-way absorption refrigerators and the Nova Kool compressor refrigerator. The Nova Kool stays colder under the same ambient temperatures and is more consistent. When you get above 90F ambient you generally have trouble with all of them but since you can air condition inside and have no outside top and bottom venting without insulation in the vent space, with Nova Kool you can keep the ambient temperature as low as your air conditioner setting. Also, since you don't have that thermal leak behind absorption refrigerators you air conditioning performs better.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 01:23 AM   #12
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks View Post
I'm sure you're right. I'm also sure there are 1001 opinions about this.
My husband suggested that we use the Galleria for "awhile" before making any decisions on needed upgrades...you and he are on the same page. Fine minds think alike!

We're sailors and use solar and have an inverter, so I assumed with the RV we would want the same. We do have solar on the Galleria, but it's a small 100w panel...considering upgrade in the future. The Galleria also has an induction cooktop, so it will be faster cooking, but does need electricity. Presently the only hurdle I see is my husband making his coffee at 5am each morning?? I'm used to stepping down to the galley on the boat and cooking/preparing a meal as we head towards our destination. LOL, my husband reminded me that no worry about that with the Galleria...I'll be in a seatbelt anytime we're moving. We're used to boating off-grid and it works well for us...after our learning curve. I'm hopeful that with our RV, it will be the same.

BBQ, your advice is appreciated!! We need to step back and take some baby steps instead of moving forward at wharp speed to make sure we really do need to make any upgrades. Too often the $$ spent add to more headaches with logistics and maintaining than the benefits! Thanks Again!!

You have an induction cooktop? NICE !

If you have an induction cooktop, you have an inverter.
Because the induction cooktop works off AC.
Not only you have an inverter, you must have a larger capacity inverter.
Because an induction cooktop is at least 1,500w. That means your inverter is at least 2,000w.

THat leads to the next question... how large are your house batteries?
Old 08-01-2017, 02:36 AM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post
You have an induction cooktop? NICE !

If you have an induction cooktop, you have an inverter.
Because the induction cooktop works off AC.
Not only you have an inverter, you must have a larger capacity inverter.
Because an induction cooktop is at least 1,500w. That means your inverter is at least 2,000w.

THat leads to the next question... how large are your house batteries?
Or you simply can't use it unless you are connected to shore power.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 04:08 AM   #14
Silver Member

Ducks....Nice Land Yacht....enjoy.
Eric Swenson is offline   Reply With Quote