Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2018, 03:47 PM   #1

Default 2 Newbies saying "Hi y'all"

Just joined the forum, shopping for our first Class B, hopefully will learn without asking too many silly questions.

Grew up in the early (very early) 1960's era "travel trailer days" (think an actual ice box and propane cook top as the only RV appliances I am used to). So finding the right floor plan and size in your price range were about the only 2 things to dwell on.

Of course now I have to consider all the pros and cons of the different refrigerator power sources, induction or propane cook top, Microwave or Micro / Convection, AGM or Lithium, how much solar is too much?, UHG or traditional generator (or none)...

Oh, and floor plan and size...

So if anyone can throw me a link on some of those discussion (pro and con wise) , it would be greatly appreciated, besides that I will search and absorb what I can.
RICK & NICOLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 04:01 PM   #2
Platinum Member

So much depends on what you want to do with your Class B RV. If the use is pretty much just touring around then lots of models will meet that requirement.

If you pursue hobbies like fishing, golf, kayaking, biking or anything else that requires gear then make sure to check where that stuff will fit in or on the unit as you check them out.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 12:18 AM   #3

Thanks MarkoPolo

We mainly do Road Trips, anywhere from "long weekends" to two+ weeks. We have been using our small SUV and staying at hotels, but now that we have the time (we can travel at least 50% of the time if we want) , we want to go at our own pace, and stop and stay when something interests us anywhere along the way.

Right now we plan to do Route 66 (again), but all in one trip Chicago to LA, but branching out for interesting places, so that will be an easy 3-4 week trip.

We mainly camp at County, State and National parks, will most likely be driving to hike and see something almost every day, as compared to sitting in an RV Park for a week, though we will be using those (for the amenities such as laundry, dumping, pools, etc.) every week or so.

I am used to tent camping (and back or SUV camping) so I am sure we will boondock on a fairly regular basis when it is doable.

We are planning to stay on the small (?) side of Class B, no big 24 footers, so I can park at home and use it for 2nd vehicle, take it to the county parks with the bikes for the day, pretty much use it at the drop of a hat, so we are trying to keep it in the 19.5 - 21 foot range, for ease of parking, etc.
RICK & NICOLE is offline   Reply With Quote