Old 08-18-2017, 11:05 PM   #11
Silver Member

Yup!
Low miles, but still a lot of aging.
-Pete

VTPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 12:13 AM   #12
Silver Member

Ok, I used city water to fill the tank... turned on the hot water and could hear water going through the hot water tank. So, I figured it was full and turned on the heater. Works perfectly.

One of the things that I'm sure I'll laugh about later on is how I didn't understand how the water pump worked. Did you have to turn it on every time you wanted to use the water? I had no idea it was "automatic", turning on by itself when it needs to (after you've hit the pump switch, of course.) Little things like that confuse newbies.

And that little black switch? It's the porch light!

I'm pretty pleased that almost everything is working. The air conditioning in the cabin still comes only through the defrost. I read that that's probably a cracked vacuum tube since they're vacuum activated. But, I have no idea where the vacuum lines are (or I'd replace them myself.)

And, the leaking front windows are a bit of a bummer. It seems that's a common problem? I wonder if there's a common fix?

So, tomorrow (assuming it's not pouring rain) I'm bringing my daughter on a maiden voyage. She got to be the first person to use the toilet, too. (She's 9... it was a thrill.)

Thanks to everyone for your help!
-Pete

Old 08-19-2017, 12:20 AM   #13
Bronze Member

Good job!

There is definitely a learning curve to learn the particulars of all the systems. I'd advise you to take some notes so next time you can remember the settings and sequences, especially if you will not use some of the systems every time you use the RV.

Also lot of good info on this forum.
Old 08-19-2017, 12:54 AM   #14
Silver Member

Thanks! And thanks for all your hints; they really helped! I've already written down what I've learned. I realized I still need to fix the awning poles. There's a broken end piece. (Why are there three poles? And where do people store them when they're not being used.) I guess I have more learning to do!

-Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmai View Post
Good job!

There is definitely a learning curve to learn the particulars of all the systems. I'd advise you to take some notes so next time you can remember the settings and sequences, especially if you will not use some of the systems every time you use the RV.

Also lot of good info on this forum.
Old 08-19-2017, 01:05 AM   #15
Bronze Member

There is a pole that goes in the middle of the awning once it its opened. After you open it and have the three poles in place it will look loose. Wind it in a bit to get it tight. The end poles can either rest straight up and down on the ground or at an angle attached to fittings on the side of the van.

The removable pole is stored inside the bathroom door with two plastic clamps and the crank is stored on the right side on the bathroom wall with two round clips. To make it fit, you have to bend the last part of the handle 180 degrees so it fits in the space and clamps.

Mine is a 2001 Popular 190 on a Dodge chassis.
Old 08-19-2017, 01:09 AM   #16
Platinum Member

I can help with question 1 (hot water)

Make sure hot water tank is full of water BEFORE turning it on. (run the hot water spigot in the sink until air is purged and a solid stream of water comes out..... this purges air and ensures there is water in the water heater tank) Turn on the switch, and you will have hot water in 20 minutes.

Every once in a while you need to replace the sacrificial anode unit in the tank. It is a $12 item that takes 10 minutes to change out with a 1 1/16" socket.

Howzatt?!?!?
gklugie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 01:13 AM   #17
Platinum Member

Toilet hint: Did you know that stepping slightly (about halfway down) on the flush pedal will fill the bowl for you? Subsequently, a full pedal push voids the bowl.
Old 08-19-2017, 01:18 AM   #18
Platinum Member

Water pump switch:

2 modes:

On city water..... no water pump needed. keep pump off. enjoy city water pressure.

On tank water.... leave switch on, pump only runs on demand.
Old 08-19-2017, 01:20 AM   #19
Silver Member

Mine has two pedals. One just sends water into the bowl. The other sends water and opens the business side! My daughter stomped on it. "Hey, take it easy, girl!"
Old 08-19-2017, 01:21 AM   #20
Silver Member

Perfect! That's what I ended up doing and sure enough, within 20 minutes I had hot water!
Thanks for the response!