Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2017, 04:32 PM   #1

Smile A Real Newbie

I've never even driven in an RV, but I'm dreaming of retiring and hitting the road. I'm recently widowed, so I'm looking for a small rig that won't break down, since I will be alone. I worry about security, reliability, and my own general ignorance. This forum seems like a great place to start to learn. Thank you in advance to all who will be of help on this journey!
Grandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 07:15 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Grandy, welcome aboard. You will enjoy the information put out by members, and your right about the smaller rigs like our B's. With the B, you can park it anywhere, service is ready available and even if you never drove one - they drive like a car! As for all the various systems, we were all new once, but with the help of others in the Forum, you will be having a great time without worry of breakdowns. Ron
Old 06-02-2017, 12:38 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Welcome.

The not breaking down thing can be a challenge. New would seem to be the way to go. The more that you can do, the easier things can be. Case in point, I noticed yesterday while traveling that my heater blower motor is in the early stages of going out. At first subtle, now getting noisier. I was getting gas yesterday and there was an AutoZone across the street. I was in GA and didn't want to lose A/C so I picked up a blower motor and have in it's box for if the other one fails in route. It's a 30 minute job to replace and can be done anywhere and easily. Sure beats trying to schedule in at a repair shop while traveling. I'm heading to my brother's place and will replace it there. Should take one 🍺.

Happy hunting.

On tdy from Madison WI.
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 03:56 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Hi Grandy,

we were all newbies and we get posts just like your every couple of days.

a B has a very high cost per square foot.
our advantages are mpg, ease of driving and parking ( my wife can do solo trips to California to visit friends- they have no spare room- she plugs in to their power).

each RV is a pile of compromises and features which may or may not be to your liking- suggest you look at youtube videos from dealers and watch them detail the features- and watch how easily ( or not) they move around the cabin

if you are under 6' you will have more choices

if you worry about repairs and are not handy...that says a brand new with warranty unit ( and EXPECT some shake down troubles and rtn visits) or a lightly used unit which is already sorted.

my choice was a gas Chev- I can work on it, any mechanic in any town can work on it with parts from autozone. scale of economy has domestic parts supply lines plentiful and cheap

dealing with dumping tanks, managing energy use and tips and tricks are covered here in various threads- I learned alot on youtube.

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote