Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2016, 12:24 AM   #1

Default AC in conversion van choices

I want to put in an A/C that can run when my van is at camp. I usually camp with electricity one day will get generator. Is there a metal cage/rack I can buy to put into my back window or should I build a wooden one? I don't mind taking it in and out but prefer to keep it in when traveling. I have a tire on the back of my '95 GMC 2500 Vandura Explorer Conversion Van. Have to do a few mechanical stuff but I love it and it is just under 100,000 and physically it's in great shape. If I put it in the roof I have to give up the sun roof which actually is not so bad considering I live in Texas. It would be cheaper to put in one in the back window but I don't want it to look ugly.
Treckor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 02:33 AM   #2
BBQ
Platinum Member

Google for StowAway2 Swing Away cargo box.

They have extended tongue option that goes beyond the spare tire.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 01:07 PM   #3
Platinum Member

This link to images on Google - https://www.google.ca/search?q=rear+...=lnms&tbm=isch - should give you some ideas.

I spent about the same as what roof air would have cost - http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f8...oner-2051.html - I think. I wanted it to look as good as possible, if that's even possible.

I didn't want to loose the solar or give up the fan vent. Part of the metal roof is still in place on my van (it creates the storage at front and rear) & that meant additional ducting and losing storage. Anyway, that's how I ended up with an a/c where a window would be.

Roof air would be better for cooling. Better location & more BTU's.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a/c choices