Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2019, 09:41 PM   #1
Gold Member

Question Aktiv, How to activate OEM warranties?

Taking delivery of 2018 Hymer Aktiv 1.0 on Feb 28, dealer doing a hardsell on extended warranty however we already have Dodge Warranty 3 yr/36,000 mi basic, 5 yr/60,000 mi powertrain and roadside service AAA and Dodge (Mopar.com)

The OEM products, Norcold Fridge, Cassette Toilet (both covered by Thetford) Truma Combi, UHG (company name?) and Inverter (company name?) all have warranties. Thetford and Truma both said they would honor warranty but we need to register the products, get serial numbers. Normally Hymer would deal with this as their 6 year overrides OEM warranties. So how does this work now? Dealer is telling me those warranties not honored because Hymer had the 'paperwork'. Am I over-thinking this? Do we just keep proof of purchase and submit it to Truma, Thetford etc if repairs are needed?

Does anyone know how this process works? If we take deliver BEFORE registering OEM's, does that invalidate their warranties? Or maybe this is a non-issue?? It just seems crazy to pay 5-6K for a warranty that runs concurrently with other warranties. Advice appreciated.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:52 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamper View Post
Taking delivery of 2018 Hymer Aktiv 1.0 on Feb 28, dealer doing a hardsell on extended warranty however we already have Dodge Warranty 3 yr/36,000 mi basic, 5 yr/60,000 mi powertrain and roadside service AAA and Dodge (Mopar.com)

The OEM products, Norcold Fridge, Cassette Toilet (both covered by Thetford) Truma Combi, UHG (company name?) and Inverter (company name?) all have warranties. Thetford and Truma both said they would honor warranty but we need to register the products, get serial numbers. Normally Hymer would deal with this as their 6 year overrides OEM warranties. So how does this work now? Dealer is telling me those warranties not honored because Hymer had the 'paperwork'.

Does anyone know how this process works? If we take deliver BEFORE registering OEM's, does that invalidate their warranties? It just seems crazy to pay 5-6K for a warranty that runs concurrently with other warranties. Advice appreciated.
I don’t think the OEM component warranties should be a problem but you will probably need to contact directly to activate them. There could be an issue of resetting the Promaster warranty to start when you take delivery vs when it was delivered to Erwin Hymer, that is usually handled by the up-fitter. I would contact a local Promaster dealer and see what they say or contact Chrysler directly.
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 10:18 PM   #3
Site Team

You DEFINITELY want to make sure that your chassis warrant is reset at Chrysler. This is often difficult, but make very sure that it gets done. Make friends with the service manager at your dealer. After he or she says that it has been taken care of, call another dealer and ask them to confirm the warranty start date. It often takes several tries.

All the other warranties are normal consumer product warranties. You need proof of purchase date. Assuming they are "limited" warranties (as they almost always are), they are allowed to require registration, but most do not. Read the warranty to see. If it is required and if you didn't get a warranty registration card, contact the manufacturer. Just because you got a card does not necessarily mean you have to send it back. Often those cards are merely to collect marketing data.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 10:20 PM   #4
Site Team

BTW: Don't assume that you don't have a warranty from Hymer. You probably do. It is just that it is most likely uncollectible. You never know, though, so keep good records just in case.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:45 PM   #5
Gold Member

Avanti/Greg, THANKS, Do either of you know OEM for Hymer Aktiv Inverter and underhood generator?

Would never have occurred to me that Promaster warranty would need to be re-set. And also good advice to keep records, for Hymer's come-back!! I guess we are still on the fence about extended warranty, it's a lot of cash. Husband figures we will just pay to play so to speak, it's an adventure!!

So helpful to have these forums and FB groups, we are newbies so all this guidance is much needed and appreciated.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:19 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
I guess we are still on the fence about extended warranty, it's a lot of cash. Husband figures we will just pay to play so to speak, it's an adventure!!.
Husband is a wise man. As I said elsewhere, third-party extended warranties are never, ever a good deal. How could they be? If they are making money, the average customer is losing money. And, if they weren't making money, they wouldn't be in business.

OEM extended warranties CAN be worthwhile (sometimes), but never third party products.
Old 02-23-2019, 12:00 AM   #7
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
BTW: Don't assume that you don't have a warranty from Hymer. You probably do. It is just that it is most likely uncollectible. You never know, though, so keep good records just in case.
I guess we should never assume anything, just for fun emailed EHGNAreceiver@alvarezandmarsal.com said I saw that gohymer site is live now and includes details of the 6 year warranty, as a new owner please send details... I am sure they will be in touch...
Old 02-23-2019, 03:32 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Did you ask this one on FB? I think I answered you already.

To add, the underhood generator has a 2 year warranty from Nations Starter and Alternator in Missouri. (they are very good and are helping me get my recalled dead GU replaced.)

I haven't seen any discussions of the inverters... wonder why not? I know that are people with issues.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 04:14 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
Did you ask this one on FB? I think I answered you already.

To add, the underhood generator has a 2 year warranty from Nations Starter and Alternator in Missouri. (they are very good and are helping me get my recalled dead GU replaced.)

I haven't seen any discussions of the inverters... wonder why not? I know that are people with issues.
It seems unlikely that the inverters are warranted by anyone if they are rebadged Chinese inverters with a Roadtrek label. If the same inverter had a label from an inverter supplier then there might be a warranty.
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 02:49 PM   #10
Gold Member

Regarding reset Promaster warranty. We have contacted dealer who sold van to Hymer. He supposedly is working on it. Do you recommend we call Chrysler directly? Is there a 800 number for consumers? Or would they send us back to dealer?
Old 02-27-2019, 03:54 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Regarding reset Promaster warranty. We have contacted dealer who sold van to Hymer. He supposedly is working on it. Do you recommend we call Chrysler directly? Is there a 800 number for consumers? Or would they send us back to dealer?
I can only speak for the case of Mercedes, but in that case, I have found that any dealer can look up your VIN and tell you whom the warranty is registered to and what the initial service date is shown to be. My recommendation is to wait till the first dealer says that it is done and then call another dealer to cross-check.

I don't know what calling Chrysler is like.
Old 02-28-2019, 04:03 PM   #12

I also own a Hymer Active. I strongly recommend that you join the Facebook group of Hymer Active owners and wannabes. You will find all the information, advice and answers to your questions there.
michael budig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 04:39 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:

The OEM products, Norcold Fridge, Cassette Toilet (both covered by Thetford) Truma Combi, UHG (company name?) and Inverter (company name?) all have warranties. Thetford and Truma both said they would honor warranty but we need to register the products, get serial numbers. Normally Hymer would deal with this as their 6 year overrides OEM warranties. So how does this work now? Dealer is telling me those warranties not honored because Hymer had the 'paperwork'. Am I over-thinking this? Do we just keep proof of purchase and submit it to Truma, Thetford etc if repairs are needed?

Does anyone know how this process works? If we take deliver BEFORE registering OEM's, does that invalidate their warranties? Or maybe this is a non-issue?? It just seems crazy to pay 5-6K for a warranty that runs concurrently with other warranties. Advice appreciated.
Roadtrek/hymer was not a concurrent warranty on appliances that had warrantys. Roadtrek made you deal with the device warranty directly until it ran out. Then they would step in. I read a post awhile back where someone complained because they had to do it directly until the applance warranty ran out
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 04:45 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Default Wrong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
As I said elsewhere, third-party extended warranties are never, ever a good deal. How could they be?
You keep claiming this, but it is flat out not true. Almost no one is average and some people come out ahead. You are gambling either way. Unless you know the economics better than it appears you do, you have no idea where the profit comes from. It may come from people who don't bother with their warranty claims, sell before they use it and never collect a dime.

In the case, almost everyone else who actually uses the warranty consistently comes out ahead and the company still makes a profit. I doubt that is true very often, but your absolute statement is not really based on anything other than that the company is making a profit so it must be a bad deal for everyone.

Beyond that, you are assuming you know everyone elses financial and tax situation. For instance, An extra $5000 coming out of a 401(K) in a single year combined with the increase in taxable social security could add 20% or more to the cost of the repair even for someone in a low tax bracket.
RossWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 05:00 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossWilliams View Post
(QUOTE REDACTED OUT OF RESPECT FOR FOLKS USING THE "IGNORE" FEATURE.)
But it is true. Very obviously so. If you will review my messages, you will see that all my claims are statistical in nature. The people who don't use their warranties are included in those statistics--they are among the losers.

OF COURSE some people come out ahead. For some people, a roulette table is a good investment.
Old 02-28-2019, 05:34 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
"The people who don't use their warranties are included in those statistics--they are among the losers. "
But that is not out of the their control, nor is it random. Its not a "roulette table". That makes your "statistics" meaningless. It means if you use your warranty, you will come out ahead. That isn't a gamble, its a choice.

You also ignored the basic financial issue. The financial impact of a large bill is different for different people. Your absolute argument is just plain wrong. Its not a zero sum game in all cases:

"You are assuming you know everyone elses financial and tax situation. For instance, an extra $5000 coming out of a 401(K) in a single year combined with the increase in taxable social security could add 20% or more to the cost of the repair even for someone in a low tax bracket"

And that is just one example.
RossWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 01:56 PM   #17
Bronze Member

Regarding inverter, I had mine replaced on a 2018 Axion.
Box had following info:
One sticker with
Model Number LW2000-E-12-C and Input, Output, DC Input, weight, etc.
A second sticker with
Microgreen Solar Corp
MG-CI-AXA-2000-12
2KW Charger Inverter
Roadtrek Item Number: 4033882
joe33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aktiv, extended, hymer, oem, warranty