Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2017, 01:52 AM   #1

Default bob in michigan, 2000 Dynamax Starflyte

My name is Bob and I live in SE Michigan. Recently purchased a 2000 Dynamax starflyte. Thank you for allowing me to join the forum. Bob
bobinmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:13 PM   #2
Bronze Member

Hi Bob,

I recently bought a 1998 Coachmen Starflyte. Coachmen originally produced the Starflyte from 1997-2000. Then they sold the plans to Dynamax in 2000. Dynamax made then until 2002, and then similar types afterwards.

David
TatraDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 02:20 AM   #3

Default To the Dynamax owners 2000-2001

How has your RV performed and do you still have it?
simplytheblest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 04:47 AM   #4
Bronze Member

Simplytheblest,

I really like my Starflyte (Ford chassis). It seems to be just the right size (21' length) and layout for me. I have the Rear Bed layout. I also like the curved fiberglass body which is stronger than the traditional laminated panels. I've driven twice to Milwaukee and back. It drives and rides nice. I plan to keep this one

I had been looking for a Starflyte for several years and finally found one - about 20 miles from my house! Mine is on the Ford chassis with the 5.4L Triton V-8. Although most of the Fords seem to have the larger V-10. After Dynamax bought the production rights from Coachmen they also offered the Chevy chassis.

David

Now: 1998 Coachmen Starflyte FRB 21' Class B+
Formerly: 1996 Coachmen M19-RD GMC 19' Class B
Old 10-22-2019, 02:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TatraDog View Post
Simplytheblest,

I really like my Starflyte (Ford chassis). It seems to be just the right size (21' length) and layout for me. I have the Rear Bed layout. I also like the curved fiberglass body which is stronger than the traditional laminated panels. I've driven twice to Milwaukee and back. It drives and rides nice. I plan to keep this one

I had been looking for a Starflyte for several years and finally found one - about 20 miles from my house! Mine is on the Ford chassis with the 5.4L Triton V-8. Although most of the Fords seem to have the larger V-10. After Dynamax bought the production rights from Coachmen they also offered the Chevy chassis.

David
David, Thanks!

Asking for opinions and especially since you own one. I have seen pics of Dealer having 21 ft. 2001, Class B Dynamax Starflyte, Chev. with 3500 chasis and a 454, 7.4 liter engine, no slide out, approx 17,000 miles. Does this send any red flags out to you? What did you experience thus far, as far as cost and repairs and use after getting an older model? Advice for me?

simplytheblest (Susan)
Old 10-23-2019, 01:48 AM   #6
Bronze Member

Susan,

I have only bought and owned used older RV's. The Starflyte is my fifth RV. Most of the time older RV's that I have bought have been in fairly good shape. There have been some mechanical issues from sitting too long.

Some of the engine seals and gaskets can dry out or shrink due to the engine not being run regularly. Brakes systems and front suspension (U-joints, etc.) can also go bad. And if the tires are more than 5 years old they likely need to be replaced, even if the tread looks good. Although most dealers will replace old tires.

But depending on the price of the Dynamax Starflyte that you are looking at it can still be a good deal to buy it and have these items replaced or repaired. I would recommend 2 things:

1 - Make an appt with the Dealer to have them demonstrate EVERY system in the RV - the generator, the roof A/C, the furnace, the refrigerator on propane and electric, the monitor panel, the stove, the lights, the water pump, toilet, shower and sinks, the roof fan, etc. This will take a few hours, which is why you will need to make the appointment. Check around all of the windows (inside) for evidence of leaks. Look at the carpeted headliner for water stains/leak. Check inside of the cabinets for water stains too.

2 - Take the RV to your own mechanic (or find one) that will check over the engine, brakes, suspension, exhaust, everything. It will probably cost you about $300. But if you really like the Starflyte it will be worth it.

So basically, there can and probably will be some issues from a low mileage RV's that has been sitting. But if there are only a few issues and it cost $1000-$2000 to fix these issues, it can still be a good buy especially if the price is good.

Also remember that there is usually a lot of leeway in price on the sale of a used RV from a Dealer. What price are they asking???

David

Old 10-23-2019, 04:32 AM   #7

Default Reply to Tatradog

David,

They are asking 30,995. What do you think about that for starters? Looks like the flooring has been replaced with a mixed grey plank looking linoleum or LVP flooring. That particular flooring color is different from the honey colored cabinets and looks different from the rest of the interior and the original blue carpeted front cab section. If there are water stains inside the overhead cab wall cabinets and around inner windows and frames. Is it just wise to pass it on to look for something else or find a repairman?
Old 10-23-2019, 02:05 PM   #8
Bronze Member

Susan,

The price seems High to me. I'm sure they picked that price because the mileage is low. However I am somewhat suspicious of the very low mileage. I would prefer that it actually had more mileage on it, something like 40 or 50 thousand miles.

The stains and leak evidence on the carpeted headliner and around the cabinets is probably due to the caulking on the roof seams drying out because it sat for so long. That is an easy fix by removing the old caulking and recaulking those seams. However I'm wondering if the water leaks came down and damaged the carpet and maybe even the wood subfloor. Perhaps that's why they replace the carpeting.

If you are interested I would offer them $19,000. And tell them that you are very wary of the super low mileage and the issues that that causes. And the evidence of the leaks and if the floor was damaged. If the model you are looking at has the mini couch / seat behind the driver's seat, pull up the cushions and the wooden cover and take a look at the wooden floor underneath. And you could do the same thing with the rear couch or rear bed.

The highest that I would pay for it would be about 21 or $22,000 . but even then I would have to get it checked out by a mechanic . I definitely would not buy it at the asking price of $30,000. With the super low mileage I would be worried about the engine unless you had it checked out by a mechanic. But even then the $30,000 price is still too high.

My 1998 starflyte cost me $13,000. However I did have to spend $1,100 for new tires, and almost $2,000 for engine and brake work. And as it turned out the refrigerator did not work. So that is going to cost me about $1,000.

I'm still glad that I bought mine. because I really wanted to get a starflyte. But even though mine had 50000 miles on it, it had been sitting for a few years.

If you can get it for $21,000 and it checks out good by mechanic and doesn't need more than a couple thousand dollars of repairs then it might be worth it.

David

Old 10-23-2019, 02:08 PM   #9
Bronze Member

Susan

If you like it don't feel bad about offering them $19,000. They probably took it as a trade in and gave the previous owner $10,000. So they will be making money even at $19,000. I would ask to also speak to someone at the dealer that can tell you exactly what the condition was like when they bought it and exactly what they did to it after getting it.

Old 10-23-2019, 07:19 PM   #10

Thank you David!

I really do appreciate all of your honest, heartfelt advice! I saw a picture of your RV on your profile btw and it looks really nice judging from the exterior. I am sure you are very proud. Hope you make lots of good memories with it!

Susan
Old 11-07-2019, 03:48 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfichman View Post
Just saw this forum. 2008 Roadtrek RS, bought it new and love it. None of the fancy electronics, but it has been a great rig.
Doing another cross country trip this winter from Las Cruces NM to VA & down to FL and along the gulf back to NM
I look forward to sharing info.

Welcome to the Class B Forum:

Lots of fun and helpful members here on the Class Bs in General.

If you do head down to Florida checkout http://CampFlorida.com As this may be helpful in finding that special RV Park somewhere in the state of Florida.

Also, if you do any Wal-Mart Boondocking Stops this may be a useful link. Enjoy and safe TRAVELS. You can also find RV PARKS above in CAMPGROUNDS. Wal-Mart Parking locator & Bed & Briefest
http://www.allstays.com/c/wal-mart-locations.htm

Now as for this Forum you may want to make note of the above two MENUs. The top Menu will open the forums for your reviews and feedbacks. The next MENU below is your MENU for inputting what you want fellow members to know about you. Please Click USER CP on the top left under the main menu and once open start at the top and slowly take them to step by step letting this forum know what you want about yourself, RV, Travels, History Thanks look forward to more POST.

Also, from time to time, you may get a note email from the administrators which you will find under your NAME on the top right.

Thanks for JOINING and Welcome to the Class B Forum. Safe Travels, Happy Trails and enjoy the adventures. Welcome.
Old 04-08-2021, 08:08 PM   #12

Default 2003 Dynamax Starflyte 24 feet with slide out

It may be too late but thought to ask about 2003 Dynamax Starflyte 24 feet with slide out. I would appreciate your reviews and advices if $30K with 30K miles is too high.
DannyTong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 08:10 PM   #13

Default Your thoughts on 2003 Dynamax Starflyte 24 feet with slide out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TatraDog View Post
Simplytheblest,

David
Your thoughts on 2003 Dynamax Starflyte 24 feet with slide out?
DannyTong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 01:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyTong View Post
It may be too late but thought to ask about 2003 Dynamax Starflyte 24 feet with slide out. I would appreciate your reviews and advices if $30K with 30K miles is too high.
Hey Danny Tong, I never did buy the RV. "Tatradog" who responded to me so kindly regarding my questions, offered lots of great info about what to check and look for on the Starflyte I was looking into at the time. Still, I would love it if "Tatradog" could give a shout out and or an update since that chat about his RV so far. He was so kind to share his knowledge before. I ended up with a 1997 Chev. van.

Susan
Old 04-10-2021, 02:10 PM   #15
Bronze Member

Default 2003 Dynamax Starflyte

Hi Danny,

Dynamax makes quality RV's and their version of the Starflyte is a nice motorhome. Dynamax enlarged the original Coachman Starflyte by later lengthening it from 21ft to 24 ft. And they also widened it by 6 inches. And then some versions had a slide-out.

As long as the layout and condition of the 2003 Starfyte meet your needs and expectations then I think that you should consider it. You can likely negotiate a lower price - maybe about 10% off - about $27k. That would be a decent price, as long as the condition is good.

Prices of used RV's have increased recently due to the high demand. But even so, if you can get the price down to around $27k, I think that would be pretty good.

David
Old 11-18-2021, 05:29 PM   #16

Hi
I bought a 2001 chevy 8.1 3500 express Version of the 21' Starflyte. It had been parked for quite some time "Estate" and suffered severe water damage. Unfortunately for me someone helped them by ripping out the couch and nook section and everything that sits on the deck. I have sense repaired most of it. My big challenge now is figuring out how the water tank was mounted. I figured out the rest of the potable water system. I'm guessing that it rests on the port wheel well, but it would probably need some support structure on the ends. If anyone has a picture showing whats under the couch and forward breakfest nook seat I would be one happy guy! thanks.
molson9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 03:17 PM   #17

Hello! I am looking into purchasing a 2000 Dynamax Starflyte on a Chevy Chassis but wanted to get some input on whether this seems like a good deal as well as if it is crazy our not to purchase a 22 year old RV! The Starflyte has been in California for the past 22 years; I have done a video tour with the current owner and it does look as though it is in great shape for it's age.

Some more details from the seller:
30,000miles
$26,500
fresh brakes fresh tires less than 500 miles ago
Everything recently serviced and ready
It does have a generator as well for those non hook up campsites

Is this a risky purchase? Is the price reasonable, or can anyone suggest a good offer price?

Thanks in advance!
Lou27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 06:48 PM   #18

Hi, I bought one to fix up, My biggest challenge is the lack of documentation. I've been looking for electrical diagrams and general arrangement info for some time. I think these RVs are better built then most. The aluminum under liner is one example of extra you do not see often. The al fiberglass roof construction is great. My truck sets on a Chevy duelly truck with an 8.1 V8 = 491 cu inch engine. this truck will go up most hills in Overdrive! I would love to see a link to the vid they provided. Would like to see what's under the couch if posible. I got everything but I'm not sure where it goes.
molson9 is offline   Reply With Quote