Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2015, 04:29 AM   #21
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottbaldassari View Post
I have a dual purpose in mind. A weekend fun Machine for 4 now, and an extended time camper/traveler for 2 later.
Now I need something that can park and go anywhere. Comfy and economical to travel with, can be used as a second car.
Later I need something we can camp/sleep and eat out of while traveling and biking and hiking etc...
While my wife wants to have a Unity TB I find my Sprinter TS great as a second vehicle, general boxes and stuff hauler, great for lounging with my pooch, having a coffee in the RV and reading while wife tours those wretched malls. My BMW 5 series gets less use and the TS gets 30mpg on a Canadian Imperial gallon. It drives like a car--not swaying like may C classes and like all Sprinters, has a reasonably short turning circle which helps in small parking lots. I think you might like one of the Promasters with a wet bath setup which would be cheaper than the Sprinters.
The big problem is you want a unit for "4" NOW. That means C Class not B as far as I can determine. The Thor Axis might be a good unit to look at for maybe 4. I quite like the big scenic front windscreen,

Al
AL
Fastpaddler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 03:44 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastpaddler1 View Post
The big problem is you want a unit for "4" NOW. That means C Class not B as far as I can determine.

Al
AL
Yes, you are right on there. As a matter of fact, A class C in the interim WAS my initial plan (hence the name of the thread ) But after renting a small class C for a vacation, (which WAS great at the campsite), I was steered back to a B. The comfort at the campsite just doesn't seem worth it, as we spend very little time IN the RV once we get somewhere (sleeping mostly). Other things that factor in is the fact that a class C would sit idle in my driveway most of the time (with its rubber roof rotting away), while I was paying insurance and expenses on something I use maybe two or three times a year.

In our family, we use our van weekly and nearly EVERY weekend; not always for camping, but also for shopping, swimming, visiting folks, hauling stuff, whatever, we get LOTS of use out of our "traveling couch". There's allot of places we just couldn't (or wouldn't) go with a class C. On our last few camping trips, the kids have slept in a tent kind of "hooked up" to the van, it has worked pretty well, and could continue to work, but we would like to have the option of them sleeping inside so we don't have to go through the whole set up procedure for a one nighter, or if its raining, etc...

The bigger units are very tempting because they are so spacious (and many times, cheaper to buy), but in OUR real world, they just don't work as well. We have a pretty nice home with a foundation, the whole reason we travel, is to get OUT, not to live in a smaller version of what we already have.

Not trying to sound snarky, I appreciate your suggestion and it makes a lot of sense for most normal people.. But I'm pretty sure a "B" is in our future.
Scottbaldassari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 05:41 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
The big problem is you want a unit for "4" NOW. That means C Class not B as far as I can determine.
Depends on how much room the "4" needs, i.e how much time traveling around vs sleeping. For example an RT TS Adventurous (Class B), seats 4 up front in individual swivel chairs (plus 3 on rear seat for total of 7) - very comfortable for travel. Then the 4 chairs configure to sleep 2 + 2 in the rear for 4 sleeping. In the future with only 2 of you, you could think about removing 1 or 2 of the front seats, adding more storage cabinets or small dinette table in the front.

I think there are similar configurations from other manufacturers, too. Just something to consider.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:00 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobB View Post
For example an RT TS Adventurous (Class B), seats 4 up front in individual swivel chairs .. for travel. Then the 4 chairs configure to sleep 2 + 2 in the rear for 4 sleeping. In the future with only 2 of you, you could think about removing 1 or 2 of the front seats, adding more storage cabinets or small dinette table in the front.
Hah! LOL
Check out my plan below, That is almost EXACTY the floor plan I've been thinking about building in a Promaster!

I'm more than a little nervous about owning a Mercedes, and have never even looked at that model, but that is SO close to what I want, I guess I'm going to have to do a little research on used units (...cuz the new ones look to be MORE than TWICE of what I was intending on spending)
...but Im definitely going to take a closer look at that...

THANKS BobB!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg promaster 8-07.jpg (35.6 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Promaster 8-072.jpg (31.0 KB, 13 views)
Old 08-11-2015, 10:44 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:

I'm more than a little nervous about owning a Mercedes, and have never even looked at that model, but that is SO close to what I want
Winnebago ERA 70X has a similar plan.

The Promaster is still a nice model, excellent price point (part of that may be gas vs diesel), and for maneuverability, the 159" WB model has a Turning Radius of 46.8 ft! That is less than a Sprinter 144 WB model. The Sprinter model the TS is based has a 170" WB, but has TR of 54.6'. You will notice that in a parking lot.

The rear bed in the TS runs length-wise; turning your bed sideways in the Promaster is what makes your design work in the Promaster.

Promaster is new to the market. I think we can expect to see more floorplans in the next few years on that base.

I do like your slide out shower using the raised floor. Saw that in a Rialta this spring - seemed like a nice idea.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:43 AM   #26
Platinum Member

Quote:
Winnebago ERA 70X has a similar plan.
The Promaster is still a nice model, excellent price point
Agreed; love it, light quick, nimble and "cute". OK, maybe the long & tall one isn't quite so "cute"... but it's still not as ugly as the Sprinter or Ford IMHO

Quote:
turning your bed sideways in the Promaster is what makes your design work in the Promaster.
Yep. stole that from some other self build, Europeans (and my experience in my own Van).

Quote:
I do like your slide out shower using the raised floor. Saw that in a Rialta this spring - seemed like a nice idea.
Yep, stole the false floor from there. Stole the pull out bifold door from some class C I was in.. (mine really isn't a complete slide out)

Also stole the "sleeper seat" idea from older road trek "versatile" models (turns out they are still using it in adventurous..)

I guess that's the appeal of a self build; blending what you think is the best of everybody else's ideas in with your own, and having a completely customized rig...

Been looking at those Mercedes road trek models... probably way to fancy for this Ozark Boy. White "ultraleather" everywhere, granite tops, white cabinets, white shades, white carpet and on and on. Really plush for a couple retirees touring in luxury, but not so much for a ex "vandweller" and family camping around the country.

I gotta say, I've seen a few of these fancy rigs at the campgrounds, but I've never seen the PEOPLE that live in them out at the campfire. I've also seen allot of them parked at nice hotels... Not trying to offend anyone, every ones got there own way, and it's all good. Just sayin' it might not be the right fit for me...

and the hunt continues...
Old 08-12-2015, 02:22 AM   #27
Platinum Member

Quote:
I gotta say, I've seen a few of these fancy rigs at the campgrounds, but I've never seen the PEOPLE that live in them out at the campfire. I've also seen allot of them parked at nice hotels... Not trying to offend anyone, every ones got there own way, and it's all good. Just sayin' it might not be the right fit for me...

I gotta say, you need to get out more.

2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 02:32 AM   #28
Platinum Member

Awesome.

There is always an exception to the rule. LOL

Isn't it grand to be exceptional?
Old 08-12-2015, 02:33 AM   #29
Platinum Member

...come to think of it....

I STILL don't see the people.
Old 08-12-2015, 02:43 AM   #30
Platinum Member

The other half was probably standing right beside me when I took the photo. This was the BLM desert where we were parked for three days. I could show you hundreds of photos. I just picked this one at random. Don't be so smug about this. I know personally or have met, and I will say it, maybe well over a 100 Class B travelers and way more online. I think you have a warped opinion in what you quoted and that you think you are different. Trust me, I am no exception.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 03:12 AM   #31
Platinum Member

Don't get offended my friend, all in good fun.
Thats what the little winkie guys mean, you know?

And I wasn't saying I was exceptional, I was saying YOU were.
Old 08-12-2015, 01:25 PM   #32
Platinum Member

Quote:
Scott,

Even though they are not available in the US, you might look at some of the European brands based on the ProMaster (Fiat Ducato there) for ideas if you go the DIY route. Hymer makes the HymerCar, 3 models which have bathrooms --HYMERCAR - Models

Their solution to the 4 traveling was the dinette with a seat for 2, but their version appears to be a bit roomier than the Travato 59G version - might just be the photography. To sleep 4 they add a poptop.

There are many small details in the Euro RVs - how they deal with storage, bathrooms, the folding double bed in the rear, galleys, etc, that, to my eye, seem well thought out. The HymerCar Grand Canyon has been rumored to be coming to the US (it was shown at some US RV shows last year), but no update for awhile on that.
Old 08-12-2015, 02:45 PM   #33
Platinum Member

Thanks Bob.
These are all great suggestions...
I did consider a pop top too, how cool would it be to have a pop top over a high top? With this style plan, that would almost be like a two bedroom class B
Alas, Sportsmobile said they wouldn't do it, and Colorado Campervan said they would, but seemed unable to return phone calls (which was enough to scare me off). Its a pretty expensive option, and only useable parked at a campground, but still a viable idea.

Seems like you have been giving this allot of thought, and shopping around a bit too.. Thinking of trading in the VW?

I may have zeroed in on a good deal on a van.. Will probably check out this weekend.
Old 08-12-2015, 04:32 PM   #34
Platinum Member

Quote:
....... and Colorado Campervan said they would, but seemed unable to return phone calls (which was enough to scare me off).

Seems like you have been giving this allot of thought, and shopping around a bit too.. Thinking of trading in the VW?
Somewhere on one of the VW EVC forums I read, someone had a new poptop made for their EVC and loved it - excellent workmanship, etc. But there was also a comment that Colorado Campervan is a very small shop, so phone calls can be problematic (the guy is out in the shop building things). So keep trying - use email, too. But I do think that it does have to be installed inches shop in Colorado.

Will keep the VW EVC for now. A bit small but it fits in my garage and is relatively easy to drive around (our other car is a Mini). We have talked about a larger Class B - getting up and down from the poptop berth is fine now, but in a few years? Meanwhile doing some upgrades, etc. So it's fun to look around - going to the Hershey RV show in September and read all the discussion on this forum.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:57 PM   #35
Platinum Member

Quote:
Scott,

Even though they are not available in the US, you might look at some of the European brands based on the ProMaster (Fiat Ducato there) for ideas if you go the DIY route. Hymer makes the HymerCar, 3 models which have bathrooms --HYMERCAR - Models

Their solution to the 4 traveling was the dinette with a seat for 2, but their version appears to be a bit roomier than the Travato 59G version - might just be the photography. To sleep 4 they add a poptop.

There are many small details in the Euro RVs - how they deal with storage, bathrooms, the folding double bed in the rear, galleys, etc, that, to my eye, seem well thought out. The HymerCar Grand Canyon has been rumored to be coming to the US (it was shown at some US RV shows last year), but no update for awhile on that.
They are used to maximising space and they do that rather well. Like the HymerCar Sydney, many German Backpackers come here
Robert Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 01:37 AM   #36
Platinum Member

Quote:
Depends on how much room the "4" needs, i.e how much time traveling around vs sleeping. For example an RT TS Adventurous (Class B), seats 4 up front in individual swivel chairs (plus 3 on rear seat for total of 7) - very comfortable for travel. Then the 4 chairs configure to sleep 2 + 2 in the rear for 4 sleeping. In the future with only 2 of you, you could think about removing 1 or 2 of the front seats, adding more storage cabinets or small dinette table in the front.

I think there are similar configurations from other manufacturers, too. Just something to consider.
I agree but it is 22ft 9in and really pricey--around 138$K which might be a stumbling block, right there. There are internal compromises but it is overall a good prospect, for sure. I personally don't like the galley on the drivers side.
Old 08-14-2015, 01:43 AM   #37
Platinum Member

Quote:
...come to think of it....

I STILL don't see the people.
Come to Vancouver Island. You will eventually see us in our 144 chassis MB Sprinter TS and we are very seldom sitting inside. In fact, we usually have a fire going by the seaside at night--when allowed. I suspect that most B owners sleep in them but are outside and doing stuff too.
AL
Old 08-14-2015, 01:46 AM   #38
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
The other half was probably standing right beside me when I took the photo. This was the BLM desert where we were parked for three days. I could show you hundreds of photos. I just picked this one at random. Don't be so smug about this. I know personally or have met, and I will say it, maybe well over a 100 Class B travelers and way more online. I think you have a warped opinion in what you quoted and that you think you are different. Trust me, I am no exception.
True. We B owners get out and about. We sleep in them, sometimes cook in them and stay inside when It pours but those B Rvers are so versatile as a second vehicle and it is often the big A rigs that house the 'stayins'.
Old 08-14-2015, 02:05 AM   #39
Platinum Member

Quote:
I personally don't like the galley on the drivers side.
Agree with that. Usually mean the bathroom and wardrobe is on the passenger side and blocks your view when driving on that side. Yes, there are mirrors but.....

On the VW EVC, one thing I love about it is the visibility when driving (and passing) - nothing blocking the entire length of the passenger side. Please note no "bathroom" in the EVC and galley and wardrobe are on driver's side.

PW is one company that points out the visibility issue and why they always put galley on passenger side, with windows. Winnebago does that on Travato 59G, but no window (but FitRV got one there! - maybe it will become standard)
Old 08-14-2015, 02:16 AM   #40
Platinum Member

Quote:
... Winnebago does that on Travato 59G, but no window (but FitRV got one there! - maybe it will become standard)
That window is IMHO, rather silly. The largest window in the van is in that door 1 foot away and personally, I never cook in my van without the door wide open and thereby blocking that window.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote