Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2016, 10:42 PM   #1

Default coast guard (retired)

hello, looking forward to learning lots from the forum.... I will say in advance.
THANKS!!!
not much to say except me and my wife love the open road.... RVing and also staying at VRBOs (small rental cabins etc) we live in Florida but since I was stationed on the west coast have some friends etc...

zest for life ,,,, like most happy campers! we have lived in our travel trailer before and like to put on the miles. but I need a smoother ride these dayz.
nautracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:35 PM   #2
Silver Member

Hi Nautracer
My wife worked at Alameda USCG contracts office for a few years until about 5 years ago. Now at MARAD she still supports the ship surveyors to keep the old roll-on roll-off ships and the mothball fleet at Suisun at the ready for FEMA...

So, from a coastie to a trekker. Is that a hard transition? Anyway, welcome aboard and maybe you can share some of the electrical and mechanical fixes on board with us "landlubbers." They seem to have lots in common.
Old 09-14-2016, 09:42 PM   #3

I have fished for sturgeon near that mothball fleet. Suisan. love the Bay area. I was a C-130 aircrewman at Sacramento. I retired 2006 and now that my wife is quitting her job we are starting our early retirement next summer. we are looking to buy a 22' class b or b+. Roadtreks look awesome. and would get us better gas mileage than a guzzling v10. I think we will end up buying an older Chinook... thank goodness I know an ace mechanic....and he ain't me! I finally stopped kidding myself. I am only a "fair" mechanic. LOL
Old 09-15-2016, 04:46 PM   #4
Silver Member

I can see it now, an RV in white and orange chevron, complete with radar equipment like a P3 orion and ramp in the back like the C-130. Brings me back in my old apartment days in the outskirts of Moffett field in Mountain View CA. They use to buzz over us on their way to hunt the soviet subs.
So will you be towing a boat, or at least a skiff? The B's I hear have limited capability for towing.
Old 09-15-2016, 06:27 PM   #5

Ha ha! I trained at Moffett Field (in the Navy) for 5 months 1984. I used a similar radar as I had trained for in Moffet while I was in Sacramento many years later. of course the Navy's was much more sophisticated.

yeah, towing with the Chinook V10 will be a cakewalk. we have been looking for a 17' center console. I catch so many fish off the pier and beach, have not been into boating like I used to... do you fish around where you live?