Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2017, 04:10 AM   #1

Default Designs of Class B

Hi,

I am new to this community. I am interested in purchasing a used Class B Van. I am hoping to find something that costs up to about $20,000 Canadian, but in order to narrow down my search I would like to know more about designs. I would like to have two beds instead of one large king bed. Can anybody recommend any models that might work for me.
12gocamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 06:43 AM   #2
Platinum Member

I'd prowl youtube and look at various models

one of the most popular manufacturers is Roadtrek ( Kitchener, ON) legacy model brochures are on their website.

I have a Pleasure-Way ( Saskatoon) Lexar TD which has 2 bed in the back...but the back cushions fill in the aisle and make a large bed- many of us leave the beds made up all the time.

figure out how many seats you require- a 2 seater will have more space available than a 3 or 4 seater

most B's will have a fridge, cooktop, can w/ some kind of shower facility ( and many have a 2nd outdoor shower) furnace, a/c, microwave tv etc.

an older model will need some fixin'- like the old tv might need a maze of adapter boxes to get digital tv signals...a new tv is only $150. roof caulking may need redone and some other stuff here and there

availability will be limited by how far you might be willing to travel...check kijiji and craigslist in the US- although many B's are CDN, the ones in teh US are export models and you may have to figure out duty etc.
So better to buy one in CA.

I tell you though, my AZ model has not a spec of rust or corrosion on the undercarriage!

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 01:54 PM   #3

Smile Class B Design

Thank you Mike. The information found in the Road Trek legacy brochures is exactly the type of thing I was looking for. I definitely want to buy Canadian as I have heard of other people purchasing used vehicles in the US having issues getting them past the Canadian border. I am not in a hurry to buy, don't want to use it this summer, but would like to have it for the summer of 2018. If anybody knows where I can find brochures for other models available in Canada I would appreciate that as well.

Thanks.
Old 06-09-2017, 02:51 PM   #4
Platinum Member

you could contact pleasure-way as well.

here the layout for my Lexor TD:

Mike
Old 06-10-2017, 02:55 PM   #5

Thank you Mike. I emailed Pleasure Way yesterday and have not heard back from them yet.
The design of yours does look interesting, and something for me to keep in mind. I do prefer the Road Trek model where there is a little more privacy between the two beds, as I do not plan on travelling with a partner but with friends or family members.
Searching youtube was an excellent idea. I see a lot more on there than what I found through Google.
As I said, I am not in a hurry to buy and would actually prefer not to buy till the fall. However, I do want to educate myself on makes, models and prices at this time, and be ready to buy when the right one becomes available. I live in Manitoba, but do have some family and friends in Western Canada, so I would be willing to travel somewhat in order to buy one if I can either have somebody check it out for me or combine it with a trip down West.
I take it you are from Western Canada seeing that you purchased yours in Saskatoon. So, if you happen to hear of somebody who is looking to sell one that fits my criteria, I'd be happy to hear about it. In the meantime, I am having fun researching. Thank you for suggesting the resources that have helped me to narrow down my scope.
Old 06-10-2017, 03:25 PM   #6
Platinum Member

the PW's are made in Saskatoon.
My model was a US model originally sold in AZ. I am the 2nd owner.

I've lived all over Canada ( Dad was RCAF), so aware of the geography...but been in the US more than 1/2 my life.

I have a nice Jets logo shirt- & use Levy's guitar straps which are based in WPG.

my comments will be based on older models- which'll suit your budget- I looked at lots of RVs 3 years ago before buying.

90's you'll likely see a Dodge, 2000's you will likely see a Chevy- the 4.8 V8 is too small, the 6.0 is sized right for a 8000+ pound van.
Ford 350 and 450 vans are sometimes used
the efi motor controls and power came to the modern era right about 2000- I wouldn't buy a 90's van

models with a power rear sofa add complexity, reduced storage and maybe comfort issues

Roadtreks are made in Kitchener ON

R/T's give options- the 3 and 4 seat models do force more cabinetry floor to ceiling- I find that claustrophobic.
the Versatile models are usually sideways sleepers which don;t work for me, I am tall. a fore/aft bed can be longer- like you'll find in the popular

the 200 series is a widebody

part of R/T's high initial cost in the drop floor they construct- this gives a step up at each end of the center section- which i trip over

PW also has a widebody called the Excel, they use a Ford van for this. I don;t like Fords- the motor hump is really close to the seats, the mpg is low.

you notice my PW has only 2 seats- the front seats both swivel and you can mount a table- we don;t use either of the table options- trays are easier- and the key is to use the outdoor space as much as possible...so get some folding chairs

many makers have the galley on the driver's side.
our PW has it on the pass side- i much prefer that.

another make which I think is dandy is the winnebago Rialta which is built on a VW. these came with 4 floor plans and really cool design features- these have been out of production for over 10 years.
servicing the VW part could be an issue ( my chev can be fixed by anyone, anywhere with parts from CDN tire or NAPA)
Poptop Heaven in yucaipa Ca refurbs and sells these.

there are other makers too but I have not seen these in person.

also the older Falcon models can be really good for space with an overhead bunk.

the newer models did away with those for MPG concerns I think.

when watching the youtube videos- watch how easily ( or not) people move around inside the van- this can show how well or not the interior is designed

mike
Old 06-11-2017, 08:30 PM   #7

Wow, thanks Mike for all that info. I will keep looking back to it as I do my research. I do not want to get a Volkswagen as I want a toilet. Televisions, and electronic gadgets are not at all important to me. I am more concerned about design, reliability, and mpg.
Looks like I may expand my search to the Canadian Maritime Provinces as I have friends going out that way this fall.
As I am new to this forum and seem to have a hard time figuring my way around it; I would just like to ask if this is a good place to post a Wanted ad for a Class B van, or is that looked down upon?

Thanks.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:32 PM   #8
Platinum Member

the VW rialta has 4 floorplans...each has at least 1 toilet...and a shower

one thing with CDN vans is going to be rust- I'd keep the search out west where salt is less an issue- some people some them dry in the winter, but some drive them, it'll be case by case.

mike
Old 06-13-2017, 01:31 PM   #9

Once again Thanks for the great information Mike, I had written off Volkswagen as I was only familiar with the Westfalia. Now, I see that they have some pretty interesting floor plans, something to look further into. Yes, I also see what you are saying about the chances of having rust on a vehicle being greater in the West.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:56 PM   #10
Platinum Member

..greater in the East -the salted roads in the East are a killer.

in another thread I talk about swapping the shocks on a couple of my vehicles- being AZ the undercarriage is completely rust free, and there were no issues with trying to remove rust damaged or frozen bolts...didn;t even need a shot of wd40.

compared to the cars i owned in Eastern Canada- some of which lasted less than a decade and died due to rust damage

mike
Old 06-14-2017, 03:25 AM   #11
Silver Member

You can find Rialta's in the $15000-20000 range in Canada. You will probably be looking at the 1995-2000 model years. They make a FD Twin model ( twin rear beds ) that might work for you.
More info here: Winnebago Rialta Motor Home
Lots of forums and groups on Yahoo, Facebook, etc.
We purchased our Rialta in Vancouver, but there are LOTS in Quebec for sale too. Check Kijiji, Craigslist ( but be careful of scams: " my RV is in storage,etc "
Robert
rtsukijima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 02:42 PM   #12

Whoops, I did a typo, but I do realize that you were referring to the chances of having to deal with rust being worse in the East than the West. Thanks for that Mike. Wish I could consider buying in the US, but importing vehicles into Canada can be a real pain. I've heard of people being held there for 2 to 3 days before they would let them get their vehicle through.
Old 06-14-2017, 02:51 PM   #13

Thank you Rtsukijima, the Rialto does sound like the ideal camper van, my main concern would be finding service. I called the VW dealership and they told me their hoist is not equipped for it to try an RV dealer. The RV dealer I called said they did not deal with them, but gave me the number of a person who does work on foreign vehicles. Turned out to be the wrong number. Do you have any thoughts on repair service? Particularly if needed while travelling? Thanks
Old 06-15-2017, 02:25 AM   #14
Silver Member

I'm lucky that I have a couple of VW centric foreign repair shops in Victoria and I've owned VW's before as well and have few contacts. If they can work on a Eurovan, they should be able to work on a Rialta. ( same front end ) My shop doesn't use a lift but is able to jack either end of the RV up if they need to work on it. You may find that the 2 parts that make up the RV ( cab and coach ) are mutually exclusive and it would be difficult to find a single shop to deal with for all your needs. If there is a VW club in your city, check with them and see who they recommend.
Old 06-15-2017, 02:35 AM   #15

Thank you for that tip. I just followed up on it and emailed the Winnipeg Volkswagen Club.
Old 06-15-2017, 03:26 AM   #16
Silver Member

also check out:
https://groups.io/g/Rialta
if you are interested in learning about the Rialta.
We were leaning towards a Class B 3 years ago, but wanted something with a lower step in height for my wife who has some mobility issues. We were introduced to the Rialta by fluke ( we had never heard or seen them before ).The Rialta has a 12" step in and met some other criteria ( toilet facing out instead of sideways ). Yes, they are older ( 1995-2005 ) but meet OUR needs. Once you narrow down your search, join a club or forum and read/ask questions. The group I'm in are very down to earth and are very helpful even to newbies like myself. I've learned a lot in 3 years....Good luck!
Old 06-21-2017, 02:31 AM   #17

Very good advice. Will have to look for a Forum for both the Rialta and the Roadtrek as those are the two that seem to have the design I am looking for. Thank you.
Old 08-23-2017, 04:50 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtsukijima View Post
also check out:
https://groups.io/g/Rialta
if you are interested in learning about the Rialta.
We were leaning towards a Class B 3 years ago, but wanted something with a lower step in height for my wife who has some mobility issues. We were introduced to the Rialta by fluke ( we had never heard or seen them before ).The Rialta has a 12" step in and met some other criteria ( toilet facing out instead of sideways ). Yes, they are older ( 1995-2005 ) but meet OUR needs. Once you narrow down your search, join a club or forum and read/ask questions. The group I'm in are very down to earth and are very helpful even to newbies like myself. I've learned a lot in 3 years....Good luck!
Today 11:03 AM12gocamping
I hope I am posting this in the right place. I am having a hard time navigating this website and have been trying to post this but am not sure if my post has actually appeared on the site. For now would like some quick advice. I am considering a 1997 Dodge Great West 318. It has 250,000 km. Asking price is $15,000 Canadian. It does seem like a lot of km but I do like the Drop down bed option. I really don't know much about vehicles, but for what is available in Canada right now, it seems like it is worth considering. My biggest concern is: How many km can one hope to get out of a vehicle like this if it is well maintained? Any other known concerns about this type of van? Would appreciate any advice any body can give me.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:45 PM   #19
Gold Member

I am sorry I can't help with your question on your Dodge purchase but I would just like to agree with you on the problems I have also experienced whilst navigating this this site.
We are still trying to find our way around this site so don't feel like the Lone Ranger.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:08 PM   #20
Platinum Member

I have a Dodge Ram 350 based Roadtrek 190. Dodge vehicles are easy to work on. Almost any garage can accommodate them. Lots of Dodge dealerships too. Parts are plentiful and cheap. Below is an example of what you can get near me in Texas. Good Luck and welcome to the forum.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/rv...237850249.html
gklugie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, canada, design