Old 06-14-2017, 03:25 AM   #11
Silver Member

You can find Rialta's in the $15000-20000 range in Canada. You will probably be looking at the 1995-2000 model years. They make a FD Twin model ( twin rear beds ) that might work for you.
More info here: Winnebago Rialta Motor Home
Lots of forums and groups on Yahoo, Facebook, etc.
We purchased our Rialta in Vancouver, but there are LOTS in Quebec for sale too. Check Kijiji, Craigslist ( but be careful of scams: " my RV is in storage,etc "
Robert

Old 06-14-2017, 02:42 PM   #12

Whoops, I did a typo, but I do realize that you were referring to the chances of having to deal with rust being worse in the East than the West. Thanks for that Mike. Wish I could consider buying in the US, but importing vehicles into Canada can be a real pain. I've heard of people being held there for 2 to 3 days before they would let them get their vehicle through.

12gocamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 02:51 PM   #13

Thank you Rtsukijima, the Rialto does sound like the ideal camper van, my main concern would be finding service. I called the VW dealership and they told me their hoist is not equipped for it to try an RV dealer. The RV dealer I called said they did not deal with them, but gave me the number of a person who does work on foreign vehicles. Turned out to be the wrong number. Do you have any thoughts on repair service? Particularly if needed while travelling? Thanks
Old 06-15-2017, 02:25 AM   #14
Silver Member

I'm lucky that I have a couple of VW centric foreign repair shops in Victoria and I've owned VW's before as well and have few contacts. If they can work on a Eurovan, they should be able to work on a Rialta. ( same front end ) My shop doesn't use a lift but is able to jack either end of the RV up if they need to work on it. You may find that the 2 parts that make up the RV ( cab and coach ) are mutually exclusive and it would be difficult to find a single shop to deal with for all your needs. If there is a VW club in your city, check with them and see who they recommend.
Old 06-15-2017, 02:35 AM   #15

Thank you for that tip. I just followed up on it and emailed the Winnipeg Volkswagen Club.
Old 06-15-2017, 03:26 AM   #16
Silver Member

also check out:
https://groups.io/g/Rialta
if you are interested in learning about the Rialta.
We were leaning towards a Class B 3 years ago, but wanted something with a lower step in height for my wife who has some mobility issues. We were introduced to the Rialta by fluke ( we had never heard or seen them before ).The Rialta has a 12" step in and met some other criteria ( toilet facing out instead of sideways ). Yes, they are older ( 1995-2005 ) but meet OUR needs. Once you narrow down your search, join a club or forum and read/ask questions. The group I'm in are very down to earth and are very helpful even to newbies like myself. I've learned a lot in 3 years....Good luck!
Old 06-21-2017, 02:31 AM   #17

Very good advice. Will have to look for a Forum for both the Rialta and the Roadtrek as those are the two that seem to have the design I am looking for. Thank you.
Old 08-23-2017, 04:50 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtsukijima View Post
also check out:
https://groups.io/g/Rialta
if you are interested in learning about the Rialta.
We were leaning towards a Class B 3 years ago, but wanted something with a lower step in height for my wife who has some mobility issues. We were introduced to the Rialta by fluke ( we had never heard or seen them before ).The Rialta has a 12" step in and met some other criteria ( toilet facing out instead of sideways ). Yes, they are older ( 1995-2005 ) but meet OUR needs. Once you narrow down your search, join a club or forum and read/ask questions. The group I'm in are very down to earth and are very helpful even to newbies like myself. I've learned a lot in 3 years....Good luck!
Today 11:03 AM12gocamping
I hope I am posting this in the right place. I am having a hard time navigating this website and have been trying to post this but am not sure if my post has actually appeared on the site. For now would like some quick advice. I am considering a 1997 Dodge Great West 318. It has 250,000 km. Asking price is $15,000 Canadian. It does seem like a lot of km but I do like the Drop down bed option. I really don't know much about vehicles, but for what is available in Canada right now, it seems like it is worth considering. My biggest concern is: How many km can one hope to get out of a vehicle like this if it is well maintained? Any other known concerns about this type of van? Would appreciate any advice any body can give me.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:45 PM   #19
Silver Member

I am sorry I can't help with your question on your Dodge purchase but I would just like to agree with you on the problems I have also experienced whilst navigating this this site.
We are still trying to find our way around this site so don't feel like the Lone Ranger.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:08 PM   #20
Platinum Member

I have a Dodge Ram 350 based Roadtrek 190. Dodge vehicles are easy to work on. Almost any garage can accommodate them. Lots of Dodge dealerships too. Parts are plentiful and cheap. Below is an example of what you can get near me in Texas. Good Luck and welcome to the forum.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/rv...237850249.html

gklugie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, canada, design