Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2018, 09:26 AM   #1

Default From sailing to RVing...

Hi everyone. I've sailed all my adult life, in just about every corner of the world. Then I motorcycled for many years in South-East Asia. Now, it's time to discover Canada, the US and Mexico. Now, I need HELP. My low income (can't be free and rich) prevents me from travelling from camping site to camping site. I must find places to sleep at night (other than Walmarts). That's why I thought of building a stealth van from a Sprinter or Promaster. However, it would be simpler to just get a Roadtrek and go. BUT. Can I travel without going to camping sites? I don't need AC. My budget on average is 50$ per day, including gas, food. Thanks for any advice...
Michel966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 11:42 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Well, your question is very general and you haven't stated your specific travel ambitions and needs or rig budget in a way that would allow for a targeted assessment. But given that you are tagged as being in Fredericton, I thought I'd start by alerting you to the well-known analysis of Nova Scotia's ban on overnight RV parking.

When this document linked below was written, NS was the only jurisdiction in North America that categorically prohibited it (the number of jurisdictions may have grown in the meantime). Of course, what they regulate and what they enforce are two different things. I haven't heard of any horror stories of people being driven (pun intended) out of the province because the campgrounds were booked up and they weren't allowed to park overnight anywhere else. But those of us who travel extensively in NS are aware of this blanket restriction, and we are very discrete about what we do there.

Moral of the story: If your neighboring province is on your future travel to-do list, be mindful of this aspect.

PDF document:
https://www.escapees.com/images/pdfs/rv-report.pdf
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 12:04 PM   #3

Thanks for your response Interblog. Our plan is to move permanently in our van, and travel Canada-USA-Mexico seven months per year. Obviously, we'll use a Class B (either converted Promaster or Roadtrek) for our travel. But there is no way we can afford camping fees and hookup costs. So, my question is: am I being realistic? Is it necessary to be really stealth (unmarked Promaster)? Thanks for any input...
Old 03-09-2018, 12:15 PM   #4
Bud
Platinum Member

"no way we can afford camping fees and hookup costs. So, my question is: am I being realistic?"

Yes, and there are about a million billion video's of folks doing just that. Obviously as InterBlog explained 'it depends' like Nova Scotia vs Utah for example.............

Have fun researching, exploring.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 12:19 PM   #5

Default OK then

Thanks Bud. OK then.

Do you think it's absolutely required to have a perfectly stealth vehicle as opposed to a Roadtrek for example?
Old 03-09-2018, 12:30 PM   #6
Bud
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=Michel966;68940]Thanks Bud. OK then.

Do you think it's absolutely required to have a perfectly stealth vehicle as opposed to a Roadtrek for example?[/QUOTE

Nope, but there is a slight? very very small? difference. You'll understand after learning more. Other folks will hopefully show up here with forum links.......... Or just google it. This is probably Not the very best forum for your interest, but there are folks here with all kinds of knowledge.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 12:53 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Good source of info...

Cheap RV Living.com-Home
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 09:15 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post

Yes, and there are about a million billion video's of folks doing just that. ...
Doing it at least for a while. Many of them burn out quickly. Still others fail to meet financial goals and have to withdraw out of necessity. The OP didn't say whether his / her / their adventure would include any attempts at earning a living en route - that's a big question both in terms of equipment and logistics.

OP, you might glance at Far Out Ride, a couple of Quebecois who seem to be doing a good job of it. There's a wealth of info on their website.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 12:01 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel966 View Post
Thanks Bud. OK then.

Do you think it's absolutely required to have a perfectly stealth vehicle as opposed to a Roadtrek for example?
IMHO it doesn't make any difference. You can stop overnight at a rest stop, but you aren't allowed to "camp" there. Generally, the highway patrol would rather have you pull in and sleep then fall asleep at the wheel and create paperwork for them.

If you are parked on a city street or in a Walmart parking lot after hours, someone is going to notice. IF you are on a city street and stealthed, you might not get a midnight visit from the police, but you would have to make sure you were completely light-blocked, silent and motionless. Hard to do. On the other hand, if you only stay overnight, you will probably not have a problem in any case; particularly if your van looks like it is in very good repair. People worry when the semi-indigent set up camp in their neighborhood, but if you are in a nice van, they will probably assume you are visiting someone there.

I understand there are lots of BLM and NFS dispersed camping sites that are free. Again, it won't matter if you are stealthed.

Your biggest impediment will be water disposal, so you either need to go with a cassette toilet that can be carried into a rest stop and dumped, or large black and grey tanks that you can avoid emptying very often - it often costs to dump.