Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2019, 04:31 PM   #1

Default Hello, and an insurance question

Hello all, nice to “meet” you. I am about to purchase 2014 Roadtrek Agile and will pick it up in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to traveling around the New England area this summer. I like the size of this vehicle as I will also be able to use it to attend my kids sporting events which tend to last full days/weekends.

I was looking at insurance quotes and started with Progressive. I was not able to get a quote and received an error based on the weight of the vehicle (8500 lbs). I also talked to them, and they were as confused as I was. I thought maybe they weren’t insuring Roadtrek with the bankruptcy, but tried another make with the “short” sprinter, and received the same message.

Anyone else experience this? Any suggestions on insurance companies and how they handle claims? I am looking at Good Sam as they seem to have good reviews with decent rates.

Thanks
wantoworkless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 05:00 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantoworkless View Post
Hello all, nice to “meet” you. I am about to purchase 2014 Roadtrek Agile and will pick it up in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to traveling around the New England area this summer. I like the size of this vehicle as I will also be able to use it to attend my kids sporting events which tend to last full days/weekends.

I was looking at insurance quotes and started with Progressive. I was not able to get a quote and received an error based on the weight of the vehicle (8500 lbs). I also talked to them, and they were as confused as I was. I thought maybe they weren’t insuring Roadtrek with the bankruptcy, but tried another make with the “short” sprinter, and received the same message.

Anyone else experience this? Any suggestions on insurance companies and how they handle claims? I am looking at Good Sam as they seem to have good reviews with decent rates.

Thanks
We have our 08 RS Adventurous with progressive. We get our insurance through this agent who specializes in RV insurance.

https://gardencityins.com
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 07:23 PM   #3
Site Team

I would start by checking with the company that insures your other vehicle(s). All the large companies are capable of insuring your van. Prices may or may not be good.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 07:34 PM   #4

Thank you. Gregmchugh, I will take a look at the broker you suggested. The previous owner is also using Progressive, but from my call into them, they are no longer insuring this type of vehicle. I don’t know if it impacts the longer wheelbase or not.

Avanti, I actually got to Progressive by calling my insurance company. My insurance company doesn’t do RV insurance but have some sort of partnership with progressive.

Thanks again.
wantoworkless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 09:48 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Something is odd. We have Progressive for our Class B (Promaster). We've only had one claim, a tree limb fell on the van, and I couldn't be happier with how they handled it.
michaelingp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 10:01 PM   #6
Site Team

The insurance scene varies widely by location, due to different regulations and demographics. Companies also change their marketing targets regularly.

Any experience you will read on the Internet about specific companies is likely to have limited value.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:10 PM   #7

Dude. Most likely it's all about the weight of your car, that's why you have problems with insurance. Although you can do like me. Issue the documents confirming that you can be a courier and purchase Courier Van Insurance from these guys. This way you will save a lot of money, time and nerves, as these guys have a simple and quick registration. So, for example, having purchased courier insurance from them, I began to pay for insurance by 30% less, and the services of insurance remained the same )
Muller21pr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 01:39 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muller21pr View Post
Dude. Most likely it's all about the weight of your car, that's why you have problems with insurance. Although you can do like me. Issue the documents confirming that you can be a courier and purchase Courier Van Insurance from these guys. This way you will save a lot of money, time and nerves, as these guys have a simple and quick registration. So, for example, having purchased courier insurance from them, I began to pay for insurance by 30% less, and the services of insurance remained the same )
If you try that in the US, you will likely end up in the DOT registration quagmire. You REALLY don't want to go there.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:32 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Default AAA Works For Us

We're insured through AAA in California. It's listed as a "2004 DCX Sprinter Travel Van". Our other vehicles were already covered by that company; adding the Sprinter was easy.
rvsprinterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:03 PM   #10
Platinum Member

I insured our Roadtrek Popular through State Farm in Arizona. They also have our auto policies, and there were no complications (other than a mistyped VIN). That was back in October, pre-bankruptcy, so we'll see if there are any issues when the renewal comes up. I wouldn't expect any, as RV companies come and go rather frequently.

As said, though, insurance availability and cost varies greatly by state and company, so others' experiences are probably not relevant. Keep looking. Try other traditional auto insurance carriers as well as RV specialty companies. Keep your eyes open for other Roadtrek/Sprinter/Agile owners in your area and ask about their insurance carrier.

We recently returned from a driving tour of New England, the Maritimes, and Quebec. Due to a short time window, we flew in and rented a car. I'd love to return in a camper and take it at a slower pace. We saw lots of Class B's on the road.

Enjoy your travels!
Old 06-26-2019, 02:28 PM   #11

Try Geico. I just bought a 2018 Coach House Arriva. My insurance is $700 per year on the unit. Do nite that I have three other cars insured with them. I live in Florida.
donmusick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance