Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2018, 09:09 AM   #1

Default Hello from Newfoundland!

Looking forward to learning from all the posters on this site.
About a month ago we bought a 2000 Roadtrek 190 Versatile from the original owner, this 3500 series Dodge Ram is in "like new" condition with 103,000kms (about 64,000 miles). I am retiring the end of June and we are currently getting it prepped for a trip across Canada and beyond (solar, etc.). Been reading lots of good stuff online since (and before) we bought it and looking forward to seeing some of you gays & gals on the road over the next few years as we venture throughout North America.
Best regards,
Gary
Gary-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 01:35 PM   #2
BBQ
Platinum Member

Hey I want to go to Newfoundland.

I want to go to Fogo Island.

Are there many boondocking places on the Rock?
Old 02-17-2018, 02:16 PM   #3

Lots of places to haul in for a night or a week! Been to Fogo a couple times, very nice, as is the rest of the island. If you get there you must visit Brimstone Head (one of the 4 corners of the earth according to the Flat Earth Society).
Many beautiful places in Newfoundland, but due to the immense size of the island you’d need at least one full summer and even then you’d be missing a lot of it.
Old 02-17-2018, 08:03 PM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to jvangurp

Hi Gary! ... Nova Scotian checking in here, We bought our 2004 Roadtrek 190 Popular this month as well. Fun!
jvangurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 03:00 AM   #5

Hi Gary. Welcome. We're from British Columbia,Canada. I also got a Promaster. Mine is a Itasca Viva. We are planning to go to Colorado Springs in April.
Lex Mallari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 03:57 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Hi Gary! Welcome to the forum! We're from Montreal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

Hey I want to go to Newfoundland.

I want to go to Fogo Island.

Are there many boondocking places on the Rock?
Gary is absolutely right about Newfoundland being huge! 2 weeks on the island was just barely enough to see the minimum. But we loved it!

There's a fair amount of boondocking spots and people are pretty laid back about it. Fogo is beautiful but make sure you get to the ferry 2 hours early. On the way back we only went an hour early and missed it (but found a cool camping spot). Also, plan ahead for ferries and visits in Gros Morne national park.

If you want, check out our video about our trip: Newfoundland 2017
Mat Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 05:47 PM   #7
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat Mobile View Post
Hi Gary! Welcome to the forum! We're from Montreal.

Gary is absolutely right about Newfoundland being huge! 2 weeks on the island was just barely enough to see the minimum. But we loved it!

There's a fair amount of boondocking spots and people are pretty laid back about it. Fogo is beautiful but make sure you get to the ferry 2 hours early. On the way back we only went an hour early and missed it (but found a cool camping spot). Also, plan ahead for ferries and visits in Gros Morne national park.

If you want, check out our video about our trip: Newfoundland 2017

Love your video.

THanks for sharing.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:50 PM   #8

Awesome video! Thanks for sharing.
Regards,
Gary
Old 02-27-2018, 05:45 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary-o View Post

due to the immense size of the island you’d need at least one full summer…
Let's see, that's about a week, right? Or is it two?

NL is definitely on our list. Got as far as Cape Breton a few years ago. And to be serious for a moment, what months are best for a trip there?

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 06:13 PM   #10

Hi MisNomer,
Your best bet would be middle of July to the middle of September for the warmest weather. Fog, rain and wind may/may not show up any time too! Don't let the weather keep you away, there is always something to do or see.
Regards,
Gary
Old 02-27-2018, 08:05 PM   #11
Platinum Member

We found Newfoundland basically closed for RV (campgrounds, some parks, restaurants, etc.) by the middle of September even when the temperatures were still excellent. The eastern ferry was discontinued as well so we never got to St. Johns.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 09:46 AM   #12

Yes, unfortunately some campgrounds close early, pretty much after school has started because I suppose the customer base declines. The Argentia ferry also drops out of service around then due to the lack of tourists, etc. That said, the Port Aux Basque ferry runs twice a day from North Sydney and you can drive across the Island at your own pace. Takes about 10 hours straight driving but to enjoy the sights and meandering away from the Trans Canada Highway it could take you months to get there!
Old 02-28-2018, 02:31 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post

NL is definitely on our list. Got as far as Cape Breton a few years ago. And to be serious for a moment, what months are best for a trip there?
August. Weather is too unpredictable in September. Flies are too intense in June and July.

Welcome to the OP from a... former? part-time? is there even an adjective for people like me? Welcome, OP, from a "something" Cape Bretoner. Like the crazy people we are, we've now driven round-trip three times from Houston Texas to Cape Breton, twice in our Class B and once in the unfortunate minivan that preceded it and was the inspiration for its purchase. Road trip number four happens later this year, hopefully.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 03:42 PM   #14
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
August. Weather is too unpredictable in September. Flies are too intense in June and July.

Welcome to the OP from a... former? part-time? is there even an adjective for people like me? Welcome, OP, from a "something" Cape Bretoner. Like the crazy people we are, we've now driven round-trip three times from Houston Texas to Cape Breton, twice in our Class B and once in the unfortunate minivan that preceded it and was the inspiration for its purchase. Road trip number four happens later this year, hopefully.
Thanx for the info. I've been contemplating such a trip in my 2007 RT Pop 190 up to my Viking ancestors' summer resort for some time. Five years ago I got as far as the tip of Cape Breton by mid-August, but decided L'Anse aux Meadows was a bridge (and ferries) too far. Instead I took the east coast road (Rt. 7) from Sherbrooke, aiming for Halifax (the town nearly vaporized by a shipload of explosives in 1917). It's a beautiful coastline with classic fishing villages, but Route 7 is another kettle of fish. All the potholes had been 'repaired' by then, but the 'repairs' were so rough I was nearly thrown into the ditch several times. Driving slow is no solution since you soon have a dozen irate locals in their pickup trucks (must get a new suspension semi-annually) stacked up behind waiting for a straight stretch to pass you. After 50 exhausting miles I put on my chicken suit and fled back west to New Brunswick. Good roads everywhere else I went.
So my questions re Newfoundland are about (1) road conditions (apparently they have pothole warning signs all over), (2) wind effects ("windiest place in the country!") on a Roadtrek 190 with airbag lifts, (3) nighttime low temperatures in mid August (I've seen a lot of pictures of bays full of ice flows, and don't want to have to run my noisy furnace all night - noisy heat pump is kaput.), (4) availability of propane refills (really no AC hookups?).

So I'm of Norwegian descent, but clearly no one would mistake me for Eric the Red.
Should I hope to be "Leif the Lucky", or stay 'chicken' in Ontario?
Kyronecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 04:37 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyronecks View Post
So my questions re Newfoundland are about (1) road conditions (apparently they have pothole warning signs all over), (2) wind effects ("windiest place in the country!") on a Roadtrek 190 with airbag lifts, (3) nighttime low temperatures in mid August (I've seen a lot of pictures of bays full of ice flows, and don't want to have to run my noisy furnace all night - noisy heat pump is kaput.), (4) availability of propane refills (really no AC hookups?).

So I'm of Norwegian descent, but clearly no one would mistake me for Eric the Red.
Should I hope to be "Leif the Lucky", or stay 'chicken' in Ontario?
Road conditions were fine in September. They had all summer to fill in pot holes and make repairs that usually happen in the spring.

We boondocked at a rest stop on the Highway 1 north in the windiest place in Newfoundland called Wreckhouse (Google it) without incident.

Low temperatures at night were actually welcome in a September when daytime temps reached the 80s.

By late summer you will not see ice flows in the bays including at the northern tip of ‎⁨L’anse Aux Meadows National Historic Site⁩ where the Vikings landed. You owe it to your Viking heritage to go there.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 12:49 PM   #16

Welcome aboard
Xivensy is offline   Reply With Quote