Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2018, 03:01 PM   #1

Default Hello from Ohio

I am new to the forum and I am researching B's to see if I want to go that small. Currently have a Class A, a 40' 2005 Holiday Rambler, and have it listed for sale on RVTrader.com. Being 6'4" tall, most B's are a little tight for me. Looking for something with a good size bed and good interior height (6'4" or more). I know the wet bath will be small but I think I can deal with that. Any suggestions would be helpful. Even looking at having something custom built.

Thanks, Ron Prater
rkprater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 03:54 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Welcome fellow Ohioan.

Maybe a van that has a pop up roof?

goreds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 06:16 PM   #3

Who makes this or did you make it yourself? I had one similar in 1977 when I bought a Ford camper van with a pop up top. It was made by a company called TEC.

Ron
rkprater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 11:34 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkprater View Post
Who makes this or did you make it yourself? I had one similar in 1977 when I bought a Ford camper van with a pop up top. It was made by a company called TEC.

Ron
I did not. Maybe view the youtibe video. I have not yet.
goreds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:41 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Being 6'4" tall, most B's are a little tight for me. Looking for something with a good size bed and good interior height (6'4" or more).
Ron,

We recently completed a DIY conversion of a ProMaster High Top 159" wheel base. We selected the ProMaster due to its interior size (including the Front Wheel Drive that provides a lower floor and slightly more interior length for a given overall vehicle length.

But more importantly, we went with this vehicle as we, too, are 6'4" and wanted headroom and a transverse bed - the ProMaster is a couple of critical inches wider than its competitors.

We used minimum flooring and ceiling (1/2" polyiso with 1/2" plywood on the floor and 1/8" luan against the ceiling joists [with insulation between joists] up top). We can hit our head, while standing, if we try - - but the reality is, we don't feel vertically constrained or challenged.

The transverse bed didn't work out quite as well due to the bed height selected. After application of the mattress (the thickness of which was a minor detail that we overlooked when doing our computations), the 'sleeping level' was just below the (added) CR Lawrence windows and, critically, smack against the horizontal ribs. This error cost us several inches. We're thinking of a 'redo' to recapture those lost inches . . . but even as is, we survive (no, can't quite stretch out completely, but then, we generally end up diagonal anyway).

Hope this is helpful.
Winston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 02:54 PM   #6

Thumbs up B's

Quote:
I am new to the forum and I am researching B's to see if I want to go that small. Currently have a Class A, a 40' 2005 Holiday Rambler, and have it listed for sale on RVTrader.com. Being 6'4" tall, most B's are a little tight for me. Looking for something with a good size bed and good interior height (6'4" or more). I know the wet bath will be small but I think I can deal with that. Any suggestions would be helpful. Even looking at having something custom built.

Thanks, Ron Prater
We went from a 40' American Eagle to Roadtrek c2015p. We love it but neither of us are close to 6'
genecusano@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote