Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2014, 12:06 AM   #1

Default Hello. New owner of 2002 Rialta QD

I just bought a 2002 model with 53,000 miles. Since it is 14 years old, I am wondering if I should have the timing belt replaced. Any suggestions?

milt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 05:49 PM   #2

Hi Milt,

We have an '02 also. I've read somewhere about replacing timing belts after 70,000 miles (we currently have 77,000 and have not yet done that). You may be able to find out more information by joining the Eurovan Chassis Rialta big tent site at the link below. There is also another group there that deals more with the mechanical issues called Rialta Tech. Everyone there is very helpful.

https://www.bigtent.com/groups/ervs

Robin

fiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:09 AM   #3
Silver Member

Only the 5 cylinder engines had timing belts. All of the 6 cylinders, '97 and up, came with timing chains. They should last for 200k miles. There are tensioners that sometimes wear a little sooner, so listen for noises at the left side of the engine. When it sounds like a bunch of marbles rolling around in a tin can, it's time to dig deeper.

There has also been a problem with the intermediate gear in the timing chain loop. There were some gears that didn't get hardened propperly and can wear as as soon as 50k miles. Since these are interference type engines, a bad gear can cause extensive damage if the chain jumps a tooth. So far, the problem has been seen on mostly 2002 Rialtas, though one 2003 had it.

Duane

TXPigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 05:07 PM   #4

So now I have already learned that I don't have to worry about a timing belt, but that the timing chain could be an issue with the 2002 model. I think that I'll just not worry too much about that for now. Just keep the oil changed. Now that is another question. I have read some already about having to remove the belly pan to get to the oil filter. Some even cut an access hole to get at it. What about the oil drain. Does the belly pan have to come off to get to it also?

I turned 70 this year, but still pretty active. I am a pilot with a Cessna 172, but we don't fly much cross country because of weather, so decided we might do a little travelling with the Rialta. Looking forward to getting some use, but want to be sure it is road worthy first. I plan to also drain and replace the transmission fluid, and possibly radiator coolant. Certainly want to replace the Serpentine belt before heading out on a trip too.

I think we have a good one, it belonged to a friend of my brother-in-law who bought it eight years ago with 28,000 miles on it. He didn't use it much for camping, just travelling around to baseball games with his kids and grandkids playing.

milt is offline   Reply With Quote