Old 09-24-2015, 06:27 AM   #11
Bronze Member

Just bought a 2000 High roof Okanagan on a Dodge 3500, which I think is a 360 (5.7?) Checked mileage yesterday driving home, averaged only about 15.5 MPG (imperial or about 12.6 per US gal).
Anyone have any tips on improving gas mileage on this age.model, just out of interest. (Way back owned a 1980 (same unit style) with a 360 carbed, and NEVER got better than 14 MPG Imperial, so I'm not expecting a lot of improvement is possible but I've been out of this for a long time, so wanted to ask. If there are other good sources would appreciate that as well.

Ridenfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 07:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridenfun View Post
Just bought a 2000 High roof Okanagan on a Dodge 3500, which I think is a 360 (5.7?) Checked mileage yesterday driving home, averaged only about 15.5 MPG (imperial or about 12.6 per US gal).
Anyone have any tips on improving gas mileage on this age.model, just out of interest. (Way back owned a 1980 (same unit style) with a 360 carbed, and NEVER got better than 14 MPG Imperial, so I'm not expecting a lot of improvement is possible but I've been out of this for a long time, so wanted to ask. If there are other good sources would appreciate that as well.
Being a 2000, you should have the fuel injected 360. Which would be a better starting base. Do the usual tune up stuff such as spark plugs, plug wires, distributor cap, air filter, oil change, and if the mileage is higher maybe look into O2 sensors as well.

eightup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 11:10 PM   #13
Bronze Member

Eightup, thanks for the response on this. I need to go through it anyway since I just bought it, so I'll examine all you've suggested. It's got about 180000 KM (roughly 110,000 miles, so I can't expect "like new" but it does run well, smooth and strong at the reported mileage I'm getting. It literally had oil changes every 5-5500 km/3-3500 miles; from the older lady who owned it for the last 13 years and did about 120000 of the KM. Before that it was a rental fleet and I know enough about that company to know they look after their units very well.

Ridenfun is offline   Reply With Quote