Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2016, 04:54 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Howdy All

Just thought I'd join the group for discussions and general exchange of information.

Basically, in a nutshell, I travel for business. My latest, is a 2015 Travato. I travel the US and Canada doing Service work in the Printing and Food Packaging Industry. I park on the Company's property, work a few days, and move on to the next. Overnights on the road are usually at Flying J truck stops.

I average about 60,000 miles a year business, and a few thousand with my wife on vacation trips. We love it. Don't be discouraged if I don't answer a post quickly. Internet connections can be rare out on the road.

Looking forward to meeting ya'll.
JimDavisHouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:24 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Welcome to the forums.

I would assume with your work and the use of the B that you are able to buy a new one every few years? That would be pretty cool to be honest, although constant travel might not be the best bit.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 01:31 AM   #3
Bronze Member

Travel is in my blood. Been traveling since the 70's. It used to be by air & car, with hotel stays. This is a part time thing now since I retired.

Love the 'B'. All expenses are banked, and put towards maintenance. It actually works so far, with money left over for any major repairs.

I recon we'll see how well it works out in time, but right now, life is good.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:13 AM   #4
Rok
Platinum Member

Last time we stopped at a Flying J, the truckers gave us nasty looks, like, "What are you doing here in the truck area."

Maybe we broke some unknown rule, but damn, it was just uncomfortable...and we weren't even camping there, just parking there in the evening.

Other times at the Flying J's have been fine. Our GW Legend SE Sprinter is black, so maybe they thought we were law enforcement or something.

Sound's like with all that travel you should have some good stories. I hope you stay around a while and tell some of them.

...Rocky
Rok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 11:12 AM   #5
Bronze Member

Howdy Rocky.
It's.best to stay out of any truck area. At Flying J, keep to the RV area. I just stayed at FJ in KY over the weekend. No problems.
Old 04-26-2016, 12:16 PM   #6
Site Team

The only time you really have to enter the Land of the Giant Boxes is to use the DEF pumps. They typically don't put one in the RV area. It does feel a little uncomfortable at first, but it is really mostly unfamiliarity. I have never had an issue with the drivers.

I have never overnighted at a truck stop. If I did, I think I would attempt to go off by myself. I'm sure the drivers have their nightly insider customs and rituals.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 01:29 PM   #7
Bronze Member

Traveling for Business, I stay mainly at truck stops. I found the Flying J's to be the most RV Friendly. I park in the back of the lots, where the Denny's entrance is located. There are usually quite a few expediter's vans lined up in that area. Most of the FJ's have Dump stations, so it makes the stay's a bit easier. I found Love's travel stops to be the most unfriendly of the bunch. Petro & TA are a toss-up.

Just had a heated argument with a guy yesterday. He's walking his dog behind the lot, and he let's the dog lift his leg, and spray my rear tire. I'm an animal lover, but that was totally ignorant. He didn't think he did anything wrong.