Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2018, 09:30 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Howdy from California Central Coast

I look forward to learning much from this community. I am in the research stage, but have been bitten good by the Class B bug. I am looking to retire from my RN job at a local hospital in about a year, and want very much to travel this beautiful country in a Class B motorhome. I've been looking at the various YouTube videos for a few months... the self-builds, the various company options, both new and used. I tend toward gasoline versus diesel. I know they each have their pros and cons, but gas just seems easier, (although I'm open to persuasion.) Hopefully, I will see some of you on the road in the not-too-distant future.
David
Davidy52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 12:25 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Welcome to the Forum!

Good information here already. Spend some time searching for threads of similar interest. Go visit rv dealers and check out rvtrader.com just to see what's out there. Craigslist too, but beware, motorhomes are a favorite for scammers.

Also, begin to decide what price range & features you prefer. That will help narrow the field you need to look at. Took me about a year to find my class b, so be patient and don't buy until you find one in good condition with the features you want.

Good luck.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 06:27 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Default Regarding diesel

DIESEL.....be aware that the world maritime industry has implemented a plan to discontinue high sulphur diesel fuel for cargo ships in favor of switching to low sufur fuel. This to be completed in 2020, resulting in a massive increase in demand for the same fuel RVs use. Prices are predicted to rise DRAMATICLY ....... like 5 times todays price, so be warned that both supply and price will be unstable untill the market settles out, which could take years. Stick with gasoline, or, have numerous chances to buy a diesel RV at rock bottom price when the panic hits and then take your chances on buying fuel at a reasonable price......or not.
Don't say you were not warned.....
Peder_y2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 06:37 PM   #4
Bronze Member

Wow! Thanks for that information. That's going to hit the trucking industry hard. I've been looking at gasoline options only... it just seems like diesel isn't worth the 3-4 miles per gallon savings. (I am very light on the throttle, anyway.)
Old 09-30-2018, 06:47 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Default Diesel economy

Diesel maintenance and repairs are very expensive compared to gasoline engines. Diesel economy dops dramaticly under load to gasoline levels under same conditions. Driving gently on flat ground is where diesel economy shines.
Stick with gasoline....
Peder_y2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 07:02 PM   #6
Bud
Platinum Member

"Diesel economy dops dramaticly under load to gasoline levels under same conditions. Driving gently on flat ground is where diesel economy shines."

Sure don't understand, please explain with facts, evidence or theory.

Thanks.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 07:36 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
"Diesel economy dops dramaticly under load to gasoline levels under same conditions. Driving gently on flat ground is where diesel economy shines."

Sure don't understand, please explain with facts, evidence or theory.

Thanks.

Bud

Times 2 on that, plus this is the first I have heard of a potential 5X price increase for diesel so some reference on that would also be good. I just don't see how that could happen as every maritime shipper and every trucker would be out of business. With that much of an increase, you can certainly bet there will be a method found to meet the damand.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 04:33 AM   #8
Platinum Member

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...ut-not-so-fast

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rrapier.../#83b6f331f0c2

Not a 5x increase, but a big one nonetheless.

Quote:
Diesel economy dops dramaticly under load to gasoline levels under same conditions. Driving gently on flat ground is where diesel economy shines.
False. Diesel economy drops dramatically when the load exceeds the rating of the engine for given work.

https://www.quora.com/Efficiency-of-...d-is-increased
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote