Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2012, 12:01 PM   #1

Default I just bought a 1999 Rialta

Hi I'm a just retired (oct2012) English guy who wants to travel round the USA to visit every state over a two year (ish) period.

To that end I just bought a 1999 Rialta in South Carolina and will pick it up in January when I return. I'm just here for two weeks this time staying with a friend in Charlotte NC.

The RV seems to be in good shape and I'm looking forward to getting 18-22 MPG on my epic trip. I will be interested to hear what MPG other members typically get.

Im sure I will have many more questions in time so thanks in advance for your help and support.

Warm regards

Lee

Rialta Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:35 PM   #2
rem
Gold Member

Hi Lee & congrats, Avg for our 2005 Rialta is 17 to 21 use your cruise control as much as possible

rem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 04:28 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Hello Lee,

I have the 1999 HD Rialta. Cruise control is important and just relax and keep the speeds no higher than the speed limit. I watch my RPM's and notice that the mpg stays higher if you can perhaps go 2 to 3 mph lower than whatever limit you are at. Hills will take its toll on mpg but overall it will do well. As far as running your facilities enjoy (and use) all that you can. I shower in mine. Your shower water goes into the black tank (most people think it goes to the gray) so you can eek out 2-4 showers if you are fast. The motoraid water heating is awesome as well as the motoraid rear heater (learn to use the valve control rotary knob by the heater outlet). If you want to save the most propane, put the fridge on 12v while driving. DO NOT FORGET to turn it off when you stop the vehicle. Once forgotten your battery will go fast. I have found the bed to be very comfortable. I have the two dinette seats that pull into the large bed. Hopefully all systems are working well. I run the generator exactly per the manual and it runs great. Hint on starting: Push and hold your START button on the monitor panel for no more than about 3 seconds, then wait about 10 seconds. Try again and be sure it is starting and not cranking continuously. If nothing, repeat again until unit starts and continue to hold button until it is running. Wait 5 minutes before turning things on. Before turning it off - turn systems off a few minutes prior to let it cool - then turn off. Of course you may be an old pro at all of this but if this is followed it should give you many years of pleasure. Enjoy!!!

Depending on your unit, check under the bench seat (or wherever your water heater is) and be sure that all fittings are tight and no coolant is dripping. Since this is a '99 I replaced ALL my rubber elbow hose fittings and short straight pieces. My motoraid heater core leaked and I bought a new one (best way to go) and put it in. This was all accessed by removing 3 long screws in the floor of the wardrobe under the carpet. Apparently it is rare that these give out but it is an easy check to be sure you have no coolant entering the cabin.

CGAZ Paul is offline   Reply With Quote