Old 11-23-2015, 12:43 AM   #141

Hi! My wife and I are brand new to RVing. We've ordered a Diesel Travato 59G which we should get sometime in the first couple of months of 2016. We live in Eastern Oregon, and plan on using it for trips around the NW and the rest of the US in the next 2-3 years. We're looking forward to the learning curve... and hoping to glean some wisdom from the folks in these, and other, forums.
-Dan

ghosting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 01:57 AM   #142
Platinum Member

Welcome.

Make sure you read the 59g thread first! Lots of good info there and elsewhere in this forum.

Eric

Old 11-26-2015, 07:43 AM   #143

Hello All,

I just purchased a 2016 Winnebago Travato 59G Last month. This is my first RV and I am using it as a hybrid work travel vehicle and "have fun with the kids" vehicle. I'll be living out of it 3 days a week and I admit I have no clue what I am doing so I will apologize in advance for silly questions. I know enough to search before you ask, so please be patient. I have come across my first question I can not get answered that I am looking for help with. Is there any way to install a roof rack on one of these things? Mine did not come with the factory installed rack. I do not have the solar package and would like some way to store cargo in low profile cases on the roof... things that I want available but will not need often. Any advice is appreciated!
kjosephscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 01:51 PM   #144
Platinum Member

There are several manufacturers of roof racks for the Dodge Promaster/Fiat Ducato. The Fiamma brand that Winnebago uses is just one. Do a google search. The racks attach to welded on tabs on the roof so you will not have to drill and the mount is very secure. Very easy to install. I think a Dodge/Ram dealer might even have something to look at. Try etrailer.com or autoanything, also. There's a bunch out there. Make sure you search both "Dodge" and "Ram" as the auto make.

After that, just pick the box you want but a warning. It's 9.5' to the roof. You're not going to use that box without a ladder, which you now get to bring along everywhere. Your mileage will also take a hit. And don't think about getting up on the roof. It will dent easily.

Look into a rear cargo carrier as an alternative like a stowaway. They're not cheap but neither is a rooftop carrier after you add up all the parts you'll need, (rack, box, ladder). The down side is that they add to your overall length.

Eric
Old 11-26-2015, 03:26 PM   #145
Platinum Member

The problem with an aftermarket roof rack is getting it to work with the Carefree awning that comes on the van. That's partly why the Fiamma rack is so expensive - it comes with the awning integrated into the rack.

I am pretty certain the rack costs you at least 1 mpg. My last van had the rack, and I couldn't get the same great mileage I had on my previous G, nor the K I have now. On my trip back I was getting a solid 19 before I got into the foothills.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 04:33 PM   #146
Platinum Member

While on the subject of cargo carriers, have you ever carried so much weight in one of those that it affected the handling of the Travato? Roughly how much weight can you safely carry?
Scottbaldassari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 04:55 PM   #147
Platinum Member

Found the Fiamma for Promaster catalog online. No info on loading, though. Maybe there is something on the Euro site.

However, it does say "Easy installation without drilling the vehicle, thanks to the preinstalled fixing system on the roof of ProMaster." Does your Travato have brackets up there already?
Old 11-26-2015, 05:06 PM   #148
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobB View Post
Does your Travato have brackets up there already?
They all do. It's a Promaster thing.
Old 11-26-2015, 05:09 PM   #149
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
The problem with an aftermarket roof rack is getting it to work with the Carefree awning that comes on the van. That's partly why the Fiamma rack is so expensive - it comes with the awning integrated into the rack.

I am pretty certain the rack costs you at least 1 mpg. My last van had the rack, and I couldn't get the same great mileage I had on my previous G, nor the K I have now. On my trip back I was getting a solid 19 before I got into the foothills.
I think I'll remove mine come spring. It looks like I'll be able to leave the brackets that hold the awning on and remove everything else. All it does now is hold the almost useless kayak racks.
Old 11-27-2015, 01:15 AM   #150

Thanks a ton. Good advice

kjosephscott is offline   Reply With Quote