Old 09-06-2016, 04:17 AM   #241
Platinum Member

I have a 97 dodge conversion LOW top.. not even a B, that drives something like a boat. I'm used to it, it's Manageable, but the Steering is just slow and sloppy. Two Mechanics have told me shocks and suspension were good, "that's just how they are". When I was searching for my B, I test drove a couple high top B conversions that were just downright scary to drive.

Scottbaldassari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 02:02 PM   #242

Wished I had done a search on the website pissedconsumer.com before I bought new class B this summer. You can go on eBay and bid on a 129k lemon that's going for $50k

GAislandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 01:58 AM   #243

Default New member

Hi ll. I just purchased a 2002 Dodge Ram Leisure Discovery. First time owning a motorhome. I camped out of a Astro and have been looking to upgrade to a fully contained camper van. Looking forward to reading the forum.
Dreesjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 06:22 PM   #244

Red face 2000 American Cruiser RE 2000 XL

Hello -

We just bought a 2000 American Cruiser RE 2000 XL with about 63k miles on it. Like everyone else seems to have, we fell in love with the rear door and floor plan! This is our first forray into RVing. The unit is in pretty good shape and came with all the manuals, minus pg 31 in the American Cruiser manual that explains how the bed works...which is unfortunate, because that is one of two major issues with the unit (that and the Onan 4000 didn't work). If anyone has a copy of that missing page or any pictures of the flip sofa in operation they would be greatly appreciated! We hope to be posting more soon as we are trying to get all the kinks worked out!
aws1008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 08:38 PM   #245

We are a middle-aged couple in So. CA, looking to purchase our first Class B to tour all the Western states and Nat'l Parks in our retirement. I'm grateful we found this forum, which has already been a wealth of information. I've been posting back & forth on a thread comparing Roadtrek RS/CS and Airstream Interstate. Prior to reading all the info on that thread, we were leaning towards a Roadtrek CS. Now my head is spinning with other possible choices -Leisure Travel, Great West Legend, Winnie ERA, ARV, etc. - and of course, everybody's got their strong opinions, about price, floor plans, functions, quality - so we're off to do a lot of looking and test drives.
Teja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 09:13 PM   #246

Get a propane or gas generator --- I wouldn't drive cross country with one of those underhood alternator/generator. Double rear axle tires would help. Get the largest roof air BTU you can fine. Get a real hot water tank. Get a comfortable rear, forward facing sofa. A surban heater/furnace usually is reliable. Doubt rely on inverters and solars. Stick with the old tried and true. Do your homework. The less technical the better.
Old 09-18-2016, 10:27 PM   #247

I don't know if these pointers were directed towards me (Teja, post above) or simply good advice for every new member here...but thanks for the tips!.
Not clear on some of your points due to some typos:
"A surban heater/furnace usually is reliable. Doubt rely on inverters and solars."

Is surban a heater/furnace brand name? And when you say "don't ('doubt') rely on inverters & solars, are you indicating there are no times when it safe to rely on solar/inverter for dry camping for a day or two?
Also, when you say "Do your homework"...well, I'm happy to! Is there a particular place/publication you'd recommend, where I'd be most likely to bone up on all the basics and tried-&-true tips?
Old 09-18-2016, 10:40 PM   #248

Yes iPad has mind of it's own.
Suburban propane heater.
Don't let an inverter or solars be you only source of energy -- better to have several backup energy sources -- if one fails then you have another source.
Sounds like you've done a lot of research but some of the new products are so technical, it's difficult to find a technician knowledgeable enough to work on these units -- and I've heard that there is a shortage of tech's too. Some salesmen are not fully acquainted with all the nuances on these units as well. The more you know before you buy, the better the outcome possibly.
Old 09-18-2016, 10:51 PM   #249

Do your homework means get a copy of the window sticker on any unit you decide to purchase. Dearlers don't always provide you with one. The "MSRP" should list in detail what you're getting -- how many batteries, options, etc --- what the unit comes from the factory with ... The full V.I.N. Number so that you can identify the precise year of the chassis. I did a Google search to learn how to read a VIN -- where the unit is made, year, etc.
Old 09-19-2016, 12:35 AM   #250

Yes, I will insist on a full, itemized MSRP sticker. I agree it's important to confirm how many batteries, options, etc...not so sure about the importance of knowing year of chassis or where it was made...as long as warranty doesn't start till actual purchase date, how will knowing these make a difference in which RV I buy?

When you said "do your homework," I thought you meant, bone up on what electrical/ voltage/pumps & tanks options were best, which ones to pass on, etc., from other RVers experience.