Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2015, 10:05 PM   #101
Platinum Member

I suppose we can look on the positive side. The world envies 1%ers. If only that meant economically.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 12:37 AM   #102

I am retired living in New Hampshire and just purchased a 1999 Coachmen M1RD Ford camper van. It needs work but will do a little at a time. Registered today, inspection sticker tomorrow. My wife, Caroline, will sew new curtains and we will start off with a new refrigerator and microwave. Need to replace carpet but not sure what we want to put down. We joined Good Sam Club today. Can't wait to get on the road. We hope our first trip will be Pennsylvania to the Amish country. Happy traveling everyone and stay safe.

William and Caroline
1999 Coachmen M19RD Ford
Unakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 08:20 PM   #103
jgn

Default Starting the Process

Just found this site and there is plenty of advice to go around, some I assume is good. My wife and I are in the looking stage of RVing and have mostly settled on a B. We are more travelers than campers and the B seems fits our driving needs with the ability to overnight on occasion. In the past my wife's view of camping was a Holiday Inn but having a shower and bed off the ground have changed her attitude.

We come from an aviation background and will do almost anything to avoid air travel. That has resulted in 1700 mile travels to visit children which leads us to consider something more comfortable than my F150 or her Pilot.

We are looking at the Era 70 A or C because it is a Sprinter which I like, non glitzy and a good price point. Can't say for sure when we will buy something because there is a lot of research to do beforehand. I have read bad reports on every manufacturer but the majority of people don't post if they are satisfied just dissatisfied therefore I am seeking advice from those who know.

Any comments and recommendations are welcome and thanks for having this site for discussing our interests.
jgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 04:44 PM   #104

Hi all, i just registered for this site. My wife & me have had camper vans in one form or another ever since our honeymoon 37 years ago! We made that one to go on a beautiful trip through the Rockies. That set the bug in us. Fast forward to today & we now own a '96 Roadtrek 190P. We just got back from traveling through central BC & it was a gas!!
GaryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 09:46 PM   #105

Default Introducing Myself

[QUOTE=markopolo;424]What type of Van do you have? Where are you from? Are you looking into getting a Class B RV? How long have you been RVing?

You can Introduce Yourself here.

We live near Alum Creek State Park (OH). We will pick up our 2016 Winnebago Travato 59K next Monday in Forest City, IA. While we camped years ago and just sold our power boat, this will be our first RV.

No RV besides the Travato 59K provided the open-ness, large shower/toilet and open arrangement my wife 'needs', plus easy driving and parking. We like it simple. We are not planning on camping, but touring. I would like to visit all the National Parks and drive all the National Scenic Byways in the United States next year when I retire.

I can see us enjoying dry camping in National Forest Campgrounds for several days then catching a hotel for laundry and extra comfort. RV Parks do not appeal to me, but we have never actually been in one so for now we can only guess our preferences. My wife and I have been married more than 4 decades.

More to come. By the way, it is the Granite Deluxe Upgrade exterior.
Travato 59K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 06:01 AM   #106
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
I suppose we can look on the positive side. The world envies 1%ers. If only that meant economically.
i think I like Davydd.

New here, looking at the Winne 70C and scared that I will be disappointed with the quality...anyone help on this?
Eric Swenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 02:26 PM   #107

Hello
My wife Sally and I have a 2008 Roadtrek 190 We purchased several years ago we had a Roadtrek 170 and found out the 190 is so much better, We just got back from a trip to Washington were our son lives. Have several issues with the 190 installed new Monroe heavy duty shocks before the trip now it seems to bounce more after a rough road
Herm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 03:01 PM   #108
Platinum Member

Booster to the white courtesy phone, please. Booster.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 05:18 PM   #109
Platinum Member

Having had 2 Winnies in the past, I think they build a solid unit, with above average assembly quality.
That said, some of us RV'ers are perfectionists, and no builder except the custom builders will fully live up to our expectations!
obgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 02:45 AM   #110

There will always be a trade off between price and quality. We liked the Roadtrek on the MB 3500 chassis, but could not justify the extra $15,000 based on what we plan to do with the coach. Hence, we ended up with the ERA 70x for our first RV. Even so, understandably,when one spends 90k for a vehicle, one expects a certain level of quality in fit and finish. Winnebago seems to meet a that threshold, perhaps just barely. We will see over the next few years.

Mike ERA 70x | Hitting the road in a Winnebago Touring Coach
cameronpatentlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 06:30 PM   #111
Bronze Member

Just became member after lurking. Will be picking up a 2016 Travato 59g in Sept. First rv after looking at Roadtreks. Travato has everything I need, large bath, easy beds, dinette, bike storage, no set ups required. Front wheel drive is nice with Pentastar engine...same as used in my Jeep. Glad to be on board!��������
JKatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 04:19 AM   #112

Hello, my name is Geoff and I live in Lakewood Ohio and currently looking for a 1998-2003 Doge Xplorer 230 xlw. I have been looking hard for a long time and have saved up over 10k for down payment. Please if any of you see a Dodge Xplorer 230 for sale please get a hold of me . Thanks and really looking forward to living in a Xplorer.............
Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 06:34 PM   #113
Platinum Member

Good luck Geoff - those are hard to come by, but a great choice if you can find one. I suspect you'll end up somewhere between $25k-$28k if it's in decent shape.

What about this one? http://www.rvtrader.com/dealers/Peti...Body-114886133
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 11:28 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn View Post
Just found this site and there is plenty of advice to go around, some I assume is good. My wife and I are in the looking stage of RVing and have mostly settled on a B. We are more travelers than campers and the B seems fits our driving needs with the ability to overnight on occasion. In the past my wife's view of camping was a Holiday Inn but having a shower and bed off the ground have changed her attitude.

We come from an aviation background and will do almost anything to avoid air travel. That has resulted in 1700 mile travels to visit children which leads us to consider something more comfortable than my F150 or her Pilot.

We are looking at the Era 70 A or C because it is a Sprinter which I like, non glitzy and a good price point. Can't say for sure when we will buy something because there is a lot of research to do beforehand. I have read bad reports on every manufacturer but the majority of people don't post if they are satisfied just dissatisfied therefore I am seeking advice from those who know.

Any comments and recommendations are welcome and thanks for having this site for discussing our interests.
Hello, we just purchased a 2016 ERA 70x and are enjoying it quite a bit. There is a little more slack in the steering than what I would like but it is not too bad. You can read our blog ERA 70x | Hitting the road in a Winnebago Touring Coach to see where we have had some warranty issues, so that hopefully, if you buy an ERA, you can see if you have these issues during the pre-delivery inspection. Good luck. Mike ERA 70x | Hitting the road in a Winnebago Touring Coach
cameronpatentlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 05:15 AM   #115
Bronze Member

Smile

I have been lurking for awhile - interested in a promoter or sprinter class B- I really like the travato - learning a lot from this forum - thanks everyone- Rick
RickNV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 10:32 PM   #116

Default New Travato... we pick up tomorrow

Hi all. Janie and I are going from a 2013 Winnebago Vista 30T to a 2016 Diesel Travato 59K tomorrow. We're very excited. We have been living full time in the rig, but now we have a situation where we have a part-time house in Northern Colorado. We decided that, since this will be a place to have much of the stuff we've been carrying with us, it's time to downsize to a class B. I'll be strolling the forum to look for creative ideas of how others pack creatively and particularly how you all manage to keep a stock of food and cook as you travel. We're heading out on a two month multi-state excursion in just about two weeks.
States02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 03:16 AM   #117
Bronze Member

Martin- just curious if you could make some comments on the Diesel Travato versus the Gas model- did you test drive both? Congrats and welcome !
RickNV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 03:45 AM   #118

I did test drive. I liked the diesel and I've always been a gas man myself. I was surprised at how quiet the diesel is. The six speed automated transmission is interesting. There's a definite hesitation when shifting between gears in both automatic and manual mode. Put the lever in Drive and step on the gas and it runs through the gears with the hesitation between shifts. You can also slide it over to manual and shift when you like, with perhaps slightly less hesitation. I believe we'll get used to it. I'm going to write an extensive blog as we travel with it from Colorado to Northern New York state. In New York we're boondock camping at Higley Flow State Park, so I'll also write about how the propane lasts, how much I need the generator (trying to use solar on the roof only). I'll certainly keep everyone posted. Also, we're getting the bike rack, I'm going to try to get pics that show how that rack works as I haven't seen much on that topic, just an over all pic of bikes on or bikes off. Our blog is The States-On The Road We're also really wondering about the food/packing thing, the rig we're trading has more basement storage than in the entire 59K I think.
States02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 05:50 PM   #119

Hello
Just bought my first RV it is a used Dynamax Issta 2008.
Had it for one month now it had only 5k plus miles on it when I bought it a month ago nearly doubled that now. Been having a lot of electrical issues dealer has been fixing them I am hoping once we get these issues fixed it is going to be good. Or my wife is going to KILL me.
swe196101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 06:39 PM   #120
Platinum Member

Long time lurker here. I would love a B for traveling but with three kids and a large dog, we’re going to need a Phoenix Cruiser or short Class C at a minimum. In a couple of years we’re planning to start spending several months of the year traveling, so I’m looking to benefit from the extensive RVing wisdom here.
B Eventually is offline   Reply With Quote