Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2016, 06:33 AM   #181

New member, Al here. I bought a 2001 dodge class b coach. The steering wondered on traveling home 300 miles, above 60mph. The RV set through winter, recently I installed new front calipers and disc brakes myself. Long bleeding brake time. The test run had steering shake above 60 mph. This was not happening on the trip home. I found the front pass tire, jacked up slightly, would clear and then hit the ground. warped tire. 7 yrs old. Steering gear box has summer play. I say that because it got cold today and driving to get new front tires the steering grease was thick I guess, and the steering was like no play, nice and normal. I'm sure in the summer the steering column will loosen up slightly. I want to slightly tighten steering gearbox nut and maybe heavier grease could help. Got the new tires on the front and went over railroad tracks, hands off the wheel and nothing out of the ordinary. Hit 70 mph and wind seemed to be the most problem. I had about 35 pounds of rear air suspension assist bags. Clues to steering wondering, left front brake slight pulled left, right tire bad pulled to the right. My opinion ,that constant wobble prevented the steering chatter. All seems better now. Opps, engine light fault says engine to cold, after driving 20 miles, clear fault so far. just my opinion.
Have a great day,
Al
ald2120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 08:16 PM   #182

Hello - I'm new to the forum and am shopping for my first RV. It's overwhelming! I do think that I want a lower maintenance, small(ish), maneuverable RV for one person. I would rather get a newer chassis (lower gas mileage), rather then an older Ford or Chevy chassis. I'm not sure about size - either a 20 or under, or a 22. I have driven the Pleasure-Way Plateau ("XL"? and a wide-body?) and Lexor. I liked the maneuverability of the Lexor but the driver's seat/cabin was not as comfortable as the Plateau. I don't need a lot of storage because it's just for one person. I'd like to keep it for a long time but realize that because it's my first RV, I may find out more after I use it...

I plan to volunteer at Wildlife Refuges for a while, to see whether I like it (these can be for weeks or months at a time - mostly outdoors). I don't plan to tow a car but may need to consider it for these longer stays? Aside from the volunteer stints, I plan to do lots of driving vacations throughout the US - don't know about Mexico but have read about diesel issues there.

I can afford new, but because I haven't owned an RV, wonder whether I should buy a used one first? I have considered the Winn. Travato and ERA. I liked the Pleasure-Ways but think that I should probably go with a less expensive RV first.

If you can provide any input or direction, I'd appreciate it!
RVNewbie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 08:33 PM   #183
Platinum Member

Welcome RVNewbie3.

I can highly recommend the Travato 59K for what you've described as your needs. I love mine. You'll find few complaints about the Travatos from price or reliability standpoint.

The Era is also a fine RV, but larger and more expensive. But not bad compared to the other brands. I like the 70A floorplan.

Travatos are faily new, as is the Lexor, so finding a slightly used one may be tough and not alot of $ savings. The Plateau and the Era have not changed much over the years, so those you may find available. I'd avoid the 2009-10 Era's as they had quality issues as has been reported on the forum.

The 2017 models of the Era have the Truma heating and water heating system and an interior upgrade, so it may be advantageous to buy one new.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 01:07 PM   #184

ALD2120,
2001 coach house 192tb
just got it 11/2015
I have done a little RV camping, many years ago,but still a rookie.
I have been all over this RV getting familiar with it,and posting my thoughts/repairs.
new calipers ,brakes, front tires,new backup cam.
I was all over this and one morning the neighbor said as I was under the RV,
Your suppose to sleep in it not under it.
HA Ha
ald2120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 04:56 PM   #185
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNewbie3 View Post
... shopping for my first RV. It's overwhelming! I do think that I want a lower maintenance, small(ish), maneuverable RV for one person. I would rather get a newer chassis (lower gas mileage), rather then an older Ford or Chevy chassis...
I think you're headed in the right direction there; there is a world of difference between the older chassis and the new. Many will rant on about how much more "value" you can get for your dollar buying used, but if you are not satisfied with the layouts/systems/maintenance/mileage etc there is no value at all. I looked at many used units (older chassis) and was just too cramped in all of them (I have owned one before, so its not like I was just assuming they would be too cramped), I knew first hand what they "feel" like over extended stays.

Quote:
...I'm not sure about size - either a 20 or under, or a 22.
... The 21' Promaster IMO is an ideal size; it JUST (BARELY) fits in standard parking spaces, and due to its exceptional turning radius, can usually maneuver in and out of them.

Quote:
....I have driven the Pleasure-Way Plateau ("XL"? and a wide-body?) and Lexor. I liked the maneuverability of the Lexor but the driver's seat/cabin was not as comfortable as the Plateau....
I have not, and have no experience with Pleasureway, with the exception that I have "heard" favorable things on the forums... The Promasters seating position seems odd at first, but I have grown to like its upright seating, and done hours of driving with little fatigue. Most delivery and cross country drivers say the same. (See the Promaster Forums for more info)

Quote:
I'd like to keep it for a long time but realize that because it's my first RV, I may find out more after I use it...
This is yet another good reason to look at the Travato; It is the lowest priced new B, yet it has great reviews, and excellent resale.

Quote:
I don't plan to tow a car but may need to consider it for these longer stays?
Everyone is different, but I have never felt the need for a car with a class B, IMO that's a big reason for owning one.

Quote:
I plan to do lots of driving vacations throughout the US - don't know about Mexico but have read about diesel issues there.
I have also read about enough diesel issues HERE that the idea of a diesel made me nervous. A high priced, Mercedes diesel made me even more nervous; but again, there are different opinions on that.

Quote:
I can afford new, but because I haven't owned an RV, wonder whether I should buy a used one first? I have considered the Winn. Travato and ERA. I liked the Pleasure-Ways but think that I should probably go with a less expensive RV first.
I think you're on the the right path. I'd do your best to spend time in all the units you're interested in, even rent if possible. Compare floorplans, prices, and "cost to own". I was pretty inflexible about my floorplan/layout, and the Travato (G) was really the ONLY one that worked for me. I've only had it a few months, but have used it allot, and am extremely happy with its performance to date.

Good luck, and happy trails!
Scottbaldassari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 01:22 PM   #186

Default New to Class B RV

Hi, my name is Wayne. My wife, Anne, and I just bought our first class b RV. It's a 1998 Roadtrek 200 versatile. The dealer we bought it from is correcting some things we found during our inspection so we won't have it for a few more days. We own a 2005 Gulfstream Independence which is great for tailgating and longer stays in a park, but the wife was always frustrated when we couldn't just pull over anywhere for yard sales or take side treks on some of our less traveled southern roads (we still encounter the occasional gravel road!). We're both approaching retirement and plan to use the Roadtrek for mini-trips where we travel without plans and let the road tell us where to go.
Redriverrebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 03:26 PM   #187

Default Returning to Rv'ing

New member. Owned several RV's in the past, class A's, a C, and lastly a Chinook. Never got to use any of them enough to really justify ownership due to work. Been without one for quite a few years, and now looking at getting a new B to travel around the US, since my schedule has freed up. Very excited about all the improvements and changes, especially for boondocking, (never did care for RV parks). I've already learned a ton reading here, and look forward to participating when I get back up to speed.

Going to look at some Roadtreks and a Travato this weekend. Excited, but not looking forward to talking to RV salesmen...unless they've changed a lot from years past......
im51504ID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 06:37 PM   #188

Hello Tiny House Livers! My husband and I have traded in our 2000 Class C (dubiously called The Money Pit) for a 2017 Winnebago Travato. Despite the constant need to replace and repair things in it, letting it go is sentimental since we have traveled extensively in it. Alaska was our first trip, then Oregon, Arizona, the Maritime Provinces and Nova Scotia, Florida, yadda, yadda. What adventures we have had in our Maverick! Now that we just turned 70 this year, we wanted to try traveling with less stuff and eliminate the need to rent a car at our destinations. We just returned from a trip to Colorado, Wyoming and Montana and saw many interesting class B's at the campgrounds. As we hit the road in our flame red Travato, we will be looking for the rest of you in your B's as you pass all those $400,000 Class A's lumbering along in the slow lane!
GrandmaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 09:16 PM   #189
Bronze Member

I'm brand new to the world of RVs and after 2 years of planning and a job change have bought a 2001 Winnebago Rialta. I hit the road in August - starting in California!
Old 06-11-2016, 10:27 PM   #190
Platinum Member

Sounds like you have a plan!
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 12:28 AM   #191
Bronze Member

Possibly too many plans! I'm a nurse getting out of the Big City. Hopefully the remote job will work out long enough for me to get across the country a few times. I'm interested in talking to folks on the road about healthcare - have you heard of anyone doing this or good health plans for RVers? Any info welcome!
Old 06-13-2016, 01:01 AM   #192
Platinum Member

Are you thinking of being a contract traveling nurse working temporarily in places around the country? I know one person, now totally retired, who used to do that with her retired husband traveling in a Class A. I know several registered nurses, including my wife, who get together at Class B socials and rallies and discuss nurse war stories.

My wife and I are retired and on Medicare with United Health Group (promoted by AARP) for supplemental insurance. We went that way because my former employer's retirement plan subsidized some of it for a while (since dropped.) We are covered equally everywhere in the United States and we don't have to depend on in network care which I found to be a big pain in the back money wise and pain wise seeking emergency care for a kidney stone out of network with the plan I had when employed.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:37 PM   #193
Bronze Member

I've reached out to some recruiters for RN travel opportunities but I haven't worked clinically in a hospital for a few years - major spinal surgery after turning a patient has kept me in administrative roles and I'm now working for lawyers as a Legal Nurse Consultant. I've been looking around the boards/sites for other RNs who travel - it would be great to offer some healthcare talks around the country to other travelers!
Old 06-14-2016, 12:17 AM   #194

Default RNYC

DH and I were travel nurses for 15 years - 7 years out of our 5th wheel. But we worked open heart ICU and ER. One gig you could do if you wanted to work thru a company that requires no direct patient care is e-icu - remote monitoring of small, usually rural hospital ICUs. Did that a few times. Interesting. But if your back injury allows, you could get your first aid/CPR instructor certificate from AHA and then teach classes at the larger RV parks that cater to snowbirds. We saw parks in Arizona that had hundreds and hundreds of sites. Most snowbirds we met aren't comfortable doing CPR or with the workings of an AED (as evidenced by the many witnessed arrests that rolled thru the ER where no one had done CPR) and I would think during season you could hold a couple classes a month at each park. If you wanted to stick with administration, the larger hospital corporations frequently hire temps to fill open management jobs. Good Luck with your travels. I'm sure you'll find a niche.
Old 06-14-2016, 12:48 AM   #195
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicallie View Post
DH and I were travel nurses for 15 years - 7 years out of our 5th wheel. But we worked open heart ICU and ER. One gig you could do if you wanted to work thru a company that requires no direct patient care is e-icu - remote monitoring of small, usually rural hospital ICUs. Did that a few times. Interesting. But if your back injury allows, you could get your first aid/CPR instructor certificate from AHA and then teach classes at the larger RV parks that cater to snowbirds. We saw parks in Arizona that had hundreds and hundreds of sites. Most snowbirds we met aren't comfortable doing CPR or with the workings of an AED (as evidenced by the many witnessed arrests that rolled thru the ER where no one had done CPR) and I would think during season you could hold a couple classes a month at each park. If you wanted to stick with administration, the larger hospital corporations frequently hire temps to fill open management jobs. Good Luck with your travels. I'm sure you'll find a niche.
My back is actually pretty good and I would love to teach first aid/CPR to snowbirds - what a great idea!
Old 06-14-2016, 02:20 AM   #196
Platinum Member

You could also get certified in fire extinguisher training. It's now done with an extinguisher that has a laser light and you shine it on a backboard. It sounds a little silly but it teaches people the fundamentals of how to use one.

That is something everyone could learn as well.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 12:27 AM   #197
Bronze Member

AND the old ones.
Someone set a bunch of christmas trees on fire on New Year's Eve last year and I was the only one who knew how to work the fire extinguisher!
Old 06-18-2016, 10:51 PM   #198

Hello!
Alejandro & Sandra, Spaniards expts writting from Ontario. Totally new in the RV world but not new camping in a vehicle. We are going to change our beloved camping-car for a 2007 Pleasure Way Plateu TS in a few days, very excited about it but scared at the same time! There's so much for us to learn...
I am glad we found this community
outlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 12:37 AM   #199
Bronze Member

We just took delivery of a 2016 Roadtrek Zion SRT on 6/8/2016.
Noticed next morning coolant on ground. Had to be flatbedded to Chrysler service.
Just got it back today, drove great. But when I plug into shorepwer I can't tell if I'm getting electrical juice because I have to flip on the inverter to get the roof ac, the microwave or tv to work and I have on all the switches like coach battery and ecotrek switch. Why would I need inverter to be on if I'm plugged in ????
GAislandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 02:00 AM   #200
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAislandgirl View Post
We just took delivery of a 2016 Roadtrek Zion SRT on 6/8/2016.
Noticed next morning coolant on ground. Had to be flatbedded to Chrysler service.
Just got it back today, drove great. But when I plug into shorepwer I can't tell if I'm getting electrical juice because I have to flip on the inverter to get the roof ac, the microwave or tv to work and I have on all the switches like coach battery and ecotrek switch. Why would I need inverter to be on if I'm plugged in ????
I believe the Zion inverter needs to be on for any of the functions to operate including the AC power pass through and definetly the battery charger.

Consider joining the Roadtrek Owners Group on Facebook to connect with other Zion owners...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote