Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2016, 02:19 PM   #261
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlyonaz View Post
Looking into a Winnebago 59G...considering the use of it as a daily driver. Concerned about the V6 though.
What is your concern about the V6?
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 02:46 PM   #262
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlyonaz View Post
Looking into a Winnebago 59G...considering the use of it as a daily driver. Concerned about the V6 though.
Not sure what your concern about the V6 is, but...

I own a Travato G and love it. I Use it on and off as my daily driver (my other vehicle is 1997 Dodge B2500 Van, which we now refer to as the "mini van"). The Travato drives and handles better, and gets better gas mileage, and is unquestionably more comfortable and convenient. I'm guessing I will get more miles on it than the std van before its ready to be retired.. Im driving the Travato again today, as the old dodge is in the shop... On the other hand, the Travato cost me about 20 times what I paid for the used Dodge...

Feel free to email me if you have any questions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01-IMG_4474.jpg (404.7 KB, 10 views)
Scottbaldassari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 05:40 AM   #263

Hi all,

While researching the Winnebago Fuse I stumbled upon this forum and got great information prior to taking it for a test drive and buying it. I downsized from a 5th wheel toy hauler (a big sucker) as I was originally going to live in it while traveling around the US. Well the travel around the US part didn't happen but using it as a camp vehicle on weekend trips showed it was just bigger than I needed. The Fuse so far I am greatly impressed with and excited to start traveling in it. I should be retiring in a few more years and this should be an excellent size for anything I would do.

I look forward to getting caught up to what is happening on this forum and learning from all of you.

Dave
COFuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 01:24 PM   #264
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottbaldassari View Post
Not sure what your concern about the V6 is, but...

I own a Travato G and love it. I Use it on and off as my daily driver (my other vehicle is 1997 Dodge B2500 Van, which we now refer to as the "mini van"). The Travato drives and handles better, and gets better gas mileage, and is unquestionably more comfortable and convenient. I'm guessing I will get more miles on it than the std van before its ready to be retired.. Im driving the Travato again today, as the old dodge is in the shop... On the other hand, the Travato cost me about 20 times what I paid for the used Dodge...

Feel free to email me if you have any questions.

That B2500 does look tiny. LOL

BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 08:03 PM   #265
Platinum Member

We are a husband and wife DIY duo, owners of a 2007 Airstream Interstate living in Galveston County, Texas, although I'm originally from eastern Canada. My husband is a mechanical / aerospace engineer currently working as a Flight Controller for the International Space Station. My professional background and university degrees are in science and tech, and I have spent the past ten years developing and running my own industrial consulting business with specialization in environmental health and safety issues.

We are bloggers (The Interstate Blog currently hosted on the ancient Google-owned service known as Blogspot because I don't have the time or patience to learn WordPress), and heavy users of Air Forums for the past several years (I'm a "Rivet Master", whatever that means).

Lately I've been branching out because the DIY universe of Airstream Interstate owners seems fairly small and I want to learn more about what others are doing to modify their Class Bs. For this reason I joined Instagram several months back (@interstate.blog) so that I could follow more of the Vanlife culture and characters. I've also been poking around a few additional user forums.

Our many mods and tweaks are described on our blog, and we are in the middle of a huge lithium upgrade right now. Class B Forum has been really helpful because it has introduced me to some "new to us" DIYers who have built their rigs from the ground up. My husband and I realize now that we maybe shoulda built our own instead of buying a finished Class B two years ago, but we had no clue about that at the time. Hindsight is always 20/20.

Here's one of my favorite rig pics to date, taken in Gabarus Nova Scotia this past summer.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 12:22 AM   #266
Bronze Member

Strange new problem. Key fob when you press lock, the orange parking lights come on and will not go off until you press "lock" again. When you press unlock the orange parking lights come on and won't go off until you press "unlock" again. This just starting happening and I'm having to constantly look and remind myself to press fob again to get the parking lines off.
GAislandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 02:23 AM   #267

Are you currently in Conroe or traveling? I live in Katy, TX and doing research to learn what I want to eventually buy.
carolynhansen@mac.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 10:53 PM   #268

Hi, I am from South Central PA. I sold my boat that I used on the Chesapeake Bay for many years, and want to do some "Camping on Land". Definitely want to stay Class B, and looking for information and recommendations from seasoned "professionals". Looked at a few Rialta's, but open for recommendations and suggestions from others.

Thanks,

Tom
blues46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 01:27 PM   #269
Platinum Member

Welcome, Tom!

You've come to the right place - you'll find a wealth of information and lots of helpful people here!

There are a lot of options out there, so when you are looking for suggestions, it's helpful to know a little bit more about you. For example, Class B's come in lengths from 17 ft to 25 ft (more if you add racks, tire carriers, etc.). Do you have a space limitation?

Are you handy? What is your budget? How well do you understand electrical systems/mechanical/plumbing? Are you looking for new or used? Although you mentioned a Rialta, there are other options.

Do you have a strong preference between gas or diesel? Or for a certain chassis maker (Dodge, Mercedes, Ford...)?

How many people do you need to sleep? to seat? Some folks use the seating in their van for many people, but camp alone.

It's OK if you don't know the answers all at once. Because of their size, Class B's are always a compromise in one way or another so you may find during discussions that you are leaning toward one option more than another. It's a process.

Welcome aboard!
Old 10-12-2017, 04:00 PM   #270

Default Thank you for the welcom

Welcome, Tom!

You've come to the right place - you'll find a wealth of information and lots of helpful people here!

There are a lot of options out there, so when you are looking for suggestions, it's helpful to know a little bit more about you. For example, Class B's come in lengths from 17 ft to 25 ft (more if you add racks, tire carriers, etc.). Do you have a space limitation? Would like to stay under 25'

Are you handy? Yes What is your budget? 20 - 25K +/- How well do you understand electrical systems/mechanical/plumbing? Very well versed from boating Are you looking for new or used? Used Although you mentioned a Rialta, there are other options.

Do you have a strong preference between gas or diesel? Either is ok Or for a certain chassis maker (Dodge, Mercedes, Ford...)?

How many people do you need to sleep? to seat? Some folks use the seating in their van for many people, but camp alone. Just my wife and I

It's OK if you don't know the answers all at once. Because of their size, Class B's are always a compromise in one way or another so you may find during discussions that you are leaning toward one option more than another. It's a process.

Welcome aboard!
Old 10-13-2017, 02:21 PM   #271
Platinum Member

Should be pretty easy for you to find something that will work. At that price range you are looking at something from the mid 90's to early 2000's. Several members here have vans from that era and once you start looking through their posts, you'll find what you like and don't like and can go from there.

My go-to search engines are rvt.com and RVTrader.com - that will give you an idea of pricing, brands and layout and then you can ask more specific questions in the appropriate sub-forums.

Welcome!
Old 10-14-2017, 01:06 AM   #272

Thank you!
Old 10-18-2017, 04:07 PM   #273

Default Hello from Austin

My name is Barry and I am from Austin, Texas. I have never had an RV and am interested in a Class B. I have a partner who is disabled and uses a walker. I would be interested in connecting with others in the same situation and what they have been successful in doing to accommodate special needs in their van. Right now it seems the Road Trek Zion with the twin bed configuration would be the best option. The Thule retractable steps provide enough space to get a flat foot on the step for entry both in the cab and in the cabin. Also, the Promaster swivel seat is actually functional to move from one compartment to the other. I test drove a Crossfit yesterday. The driver
s seat was not comfortable at all even though I liked the pickup of the gas engine. However, the Ford swivel seat is an engineering disaster. Very difficult to operate and my partner would have to be able to lift his legs further than possible to clear the break handle. I really could not even make it work for myself. He would have to exit the cab door and re-enter the side door to get into the back. That is just not an option. One more thing, I am thinking about Sportsmobile, but am having communication problems with them.

All this being said, I am not giving up, therefore the usename Hopentx. I appreciate any input.

Barry

PS. A class C would be more accessible, but a friend pointed out that there would be only one escape route in the event of a fire, and I really want a B van.
Hopentx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 06:36 PM   #274
Platinum Member

Hi, Barry from Austin! Neither my husband nor I have physical accommodation needs (knock wood), but did you happen to see the video for the new MaxVan mini-RV product? It's made by a company that historically had made handicap-accessible vehicles and are now moving toward the B/C type market. Automobile chassis, low to the ground, widest aisle... there are some interesting features there. Anyway, if you haven't come across this, you might want to check it out.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 03:49 AM   #275

Barry,

I don't have an RV yet, either, and I also have Accessibility issues. I'll have to look at the Road Trek you mention, though I wasn't impressed with it a couple of years ago.

So far, the only truly Accessible unit I've seen is the Newmar Canyonstar 3911, which is decidedly not a Class B -- it's 39 feet long, and WAY out of the range of what I want to drive.

Certainly would be nice if there were Accessible Class Bs!
Marilynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 11:51 AM   #276

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Hi, Barry from Austin! Neither my husband nor I have physical accommodation needs (knock wood), but did you happen to see the video for the new MaxVan mini-RV product? It's made by a company that historically had made handicap-accessible vehicles and are now moving toward the B/C type market. Automobile chassis, low to the ground, widest aisle... there are some interesting features there. Anyway, if you haven't come across this, you might want to check it out.

Thank you for the link. Maxvan has an interesting look to it. I wrote them to ask if they could put in a larger refrigerator.
Hopentx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 12:55 PM   #277
Platinum Member

Hi folks,

Just signed up today. Don't have a class B at the moment - we have used a Aistream Classic 30 and 3/4 ton diesel GMC truck for the last 8 years (several other trailers and a VW Westphalia before that.

Been retired now for nearly 20 years and slowly starting to find our present rig - close
to 55 ft long - to be getting more of a challenge boh physically and mentally.

Might soon be time to call it quits, but I'm thinking of maybe switching to a class B to possibly extend our RV'ing by a few more years.

Lots of disadvantages compared to what we have, but also I see many pluses.

- my wife could drive it if she had to, she won't tow our trailer!
- I suspect we would use it much more as I could keep it parked at our home
- access to many smaller sites that won't work for our trailer
- use as second vehicle

I've been spending a lot of time over the last month perusing websites and trying to narrow down makes and models that would suit our needs and have boiled it down to a small number of units. Would need something in the 20-23 ft range and a layout that offers front lounge / rear sleeping - probably twin beds.

I think forums are a great place to learn - although I am aware one can at times get a false sense of bad news as it it mostly people having problems with their RV's that tend to post comments vs. the silent majority who are happy!

Cheers ..... Brian ("Wingeezer" as user name because I'm an old guy who until very recently rode a Honda Goldwing motorcycle!)
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 04:48 PM   #278
Platinum Member

Brian, welcome aboard. As you have read over the topics shown, and the solid responses, you realize these folks really have the operating,maintenance, and modifications covered. When I would come to ask a question..there is a solution forthcoming. I can really appreciate your wanting to change from 55' to a B - not only the driving, but where you can go and do. Ron
Old 10-20-2017, 04:58 PM   #279
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron J. Moore View Post
Brian, welcome aboard. As you have read over the topics shown, and the solid responses, you realize these folks really have the operating,maintenance, and modifications covered. When I would come to ask a question..there is a solution forthcoming. I can really appreciate your wanting to change from 55' to a B - not only the driving, but where you can go and do. Ron
Hi Ron, thanks!

Of course when I say 55 ft, I am referring to the combined length ofmy 31 ft trailer hooked to a 20 ft truck with bikes mounted on the front and a special "Hensley Arrow" trailer hitch that totally eliminates trailer sway but does add another foot or so.

Didn't want to mislead anyone that I was towing a 55 ft trailer!

But even so, what we have is quite restricted from using many
state, provincial a and national parks what we would enjoy. Unless we have a good open back in site I try first to find pull through sites.

I'm probably not teh best "backer upper" and at times have had a pretty frustrating time trying to get into tight sites!

My biggest concern about buying a new or almost new class B at this time is how many years we would be able to use it before we stop RV'ing.

No doubt we would lose a lot of $$ upon selling. Maybe I just shouldn't worry about that - you only get one kick at the cat!

Brian
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 05:34 PM   #280
Platinum Member

Brian, I had the H/A when I first started out RVing; I had seen far to many out of control trailers on the road! I do have to admit, I almost died when the Salesman told me the cost...but it was well worth it. As for being concerned about the resale and usefulness later in life, you and the wife can use it for a second vehicle or everyday vehicle. Due to health, I don't travel any real distance now, but to have the toilet, stove, fridge and bed available on a minutes notice - priceless! We can pull into a shopping center, the car section of the highway rest areas and take a nap, make sandwiches......the dividends are many. Ron