Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2017, 08:13 PM   #281
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron J. Moore View Post
Brian, I had the H/A when I first started out RVing; I had seen far to many out of control trailers on the road! I do have to admit, I almost died when the Salesman told me the cost...but it was well worth it. As for being concerned about the resale and usefulness later in life, you and the wife can use it for a second vehicle or everyday vehicle. Due to health, I don't travel any real distance now, but to have the toilet, stove, fridge and bed available on a minutes notice - priceless! We can pull into a shopping center, the car section of the highway rest areas and take a nap, make sandwiches......the dividends are many. Ron
Good points Ron, thanks! I guess when I get tired of traipsing around a shopping mall after my wife, I cold just go out to the carpark and wait in comfort!

The Hensley hitch sure does the job - just have to get accustomed to sometimes a bit more difficult to hook up, but not bad once you develop a few tricks.

Absolutely zero trailer sway - ever! As you say, worth the high cost for the much more relaxing experience and added safety. Lifetime guarantee also for the purchaser.

Brian
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 07:49 PM   #282

Hi,

My name is Nick and I never had an RV in my life. I would like to get a used, compact Class B RV - like a Roadtrek, Leisure Travel, or Pleasure-Way. The best would probably be an older Roadtrek 190; this model is only 8' 4" high and would just fit into my carport which is 8' 5" high (but I would definitely also buy the "right" Leisure Travel or Pleasure-Way).

I'm originally from Germany and live since 15 years in Arizona. I'm (almost) retired and have in general not been traveling a lot in my life. I have been dreaming about traveling the US since quite a while - and maybe now it's time! By "now" I mean that I would like to go onto a hopefully several months long trip latest March/April/May 2018. Whether this really becomes true will have to be seen.

I'm glad to have found this forum. There seems to be a lot of knowledge and helpfulness around here.

See you around!

Nick
resucami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 10:28 PM   #283

Default Hi everyone

We just bought a 2011 Airstream Avenue and have camped 3 nights in it. We reside in Phoenix, Arizona and have been RVing for 40 plus years. I have 3" lift spindles, coil spacers and Fox shocks ordered from Weldtec, hoping to put on 33" tires and will see how that works out in about 4 weeks. We also have a truck and camper as our main camping vehicle and bought this for my photography adventures and short weekend jaunts around the state.

Mark Larson
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170924_072827-01.jpg (527.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 20171020_102527-01.jpg (279.5 KB, 13 views)
GpnAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 02:37 AM   #284
Platinum Member

Welcome aboard - good looking rig. Hope you will show pixs when your mods are done! Ron
Old 11-06-2017, 08:51 PM   #285
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
What type of Van do you have? Where are you from? Are you looking into getting a Class B RV? How long have you been RVing?

You can Introduce Yourself here.
Hello,

We've been enjoying reading and learning from this forum. We are Tom and Connie, from the Pacific Northwest. We don't have a B yet, we are hoping to buy in the next couple months to enjoy traveling with our Boston Terrier. Looking forward leaving home on short notice and often!
B2Play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 11:36 PM   #286

Greetings,

I am new to RVing and recently purchased a 2017 Winnebago Paseo. After much studying and reading (especially this forum where I am grateful for all of the information & experience being shared), attending RV shows and then test driving different brands and models I was able to determine the best combination of features and the areas where to compromise in making my selection.
I am spending time equipping and making minor changes to be prepared for traveling.
Thanks to everyone who participates in this forum.
Bovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 12:30 AM   #287
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bovan View Post
Greetings,

I am new to RVing and recently purchased a 2017 Winnebago Paseo. After much studying and reading (especially this forum where I am grateful for all of the information & experience being shared), attending RV shows and then test driving different brands and models I was able to determine the best combination of features and the areas where to compromise in making my selection.
I am spending time equipping and making minor changes to be prepared for traveling.
Thanks to everyone who participates in this forum.
Welcome! There aren't very many of us with the Ford Transit conversions. Looking forward to hearing what you do with your van!
Old 11-13-2017, 06:35 PM   #288

Default A New ERA in our lives

Hi all! We just purchased a 2017 ERA 170A, (70A) pick up is this week! We are snowbirds, FL/ME, but originally both from NYC metro area.

We had a used 2000 Rialta a while back and have traveled to CA and back twice. We are both retired. I'm a watercolor artist/instructor and hubby is very talented and can "fix" almost anything. (He hates plumbing!)

We are looking to relocate when we sell our Maine house but want to check out the west. BUT we are looking for summer daytime temps in the 70's only... I don't do heat well.

We'll take a few FL close to home trips for the "shake down" cruise - just in case... it's a new rig (2,000 miles on it) but you never know...
gigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 01:50 PM   #289

Default 2016 Coachman Galleria Sprinter

Help Picking up my Coachman Galleria 2016 with less than 10000 miles
Diesel
Thought I am getting a deal.... and happy.

Im a little scared and can't find a place for golf clubs.
Should I ask the dealer for inverter? What is an inverter?
Is this a great coach to drive to the desert and turn on air conditioner for my puppies and me while I am waiting for my husband to finish 18 or 36 holes?

Anything I should know about before I pick up besides I want new batteries?
Inverter? What is that. Yikes.

I have wanted a SPrinter for a few years. Finally made the jump.

SUppose to sign papers and pick up this week.

Am I crazy?
lovetotravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 02:12 PM   #290
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetotravel View Post
Help Picking up my Coachman Galleria 2016 with less than 10000 miles
Diesel
Thought I am getting a deal.... and happy.

Is this a great coach to drive to the desert and turn on air conditioner for my puppies and me while I am waiting for my husband to finish 18 or 36 holes?

I have wanted a SPrinter for a few years. Finally made the jump.

SUppose to sign papers and pick up this week.

Am I crazy?

Yes you are crazy

Have you watched the youtube videos?

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...+Galleria+2016

They should answer most of your questions and calm your anxiety.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:43 PM   #291
Platinum Member

Quote:

Class b's are notoriously short on storage so you'll have to look around for a space to stash the golf clubs once you are inside.

An inverter is a device that converts battery energy (DC) to wall-plug type energy (AC). Your primary AC devices will be the microwave and air conditioner. You have to have a lot of battery power to run them for any length of time. You can also run them with the generator (noisy) or when you are plugged into shore power - neither requires an inverter.

If you are going to campgrounds near golf courses, you probably won't need an inverter because shore power will probably be available. If you intend to sit in the van in a parking lot while DH plays golf and you need AC, you will need to run the engine and use the dash air, run the generator for the rear air, or significantly increase your batteries and get an inverter.

IIRC, the Galleria has six batteries; two for the chassis and four for the house. Coachmen puts in 105 AH wet cells. If you ask for new batteries from the dealer, they will put in the cheapest Walmart batteries available.

Here is my best tip: Don't be afraid to walk away and don't sign the paperwork until you have everything you want. The dealer will promise a lot and deliver very little and once they have your money, you are unlikely to receive the service you expect. If this van has been sitting on the lot since 2016, there is probably a reason - it is up to you to figure out what that reason is and whether you can live with it.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:07 PM   #292

Great thank you.
This was traded in has a clean carfax but 1 owner that traded up. I was told.

I appreciate your wisdom and the blog to educate me.

Any advise is really appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to answer my cry for help.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:03 PM   #293

I'm Jim, and wife is Sandy. We live in NW Washington.
Last month we ordered a new Roadtrek Simplicity. Must wait till late March for it to come in!
We have been RV'ing since the 1980's with pickup campers.
Buckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 05:25 AM   #294

Default Is this silicone all over awning normal?

silicone gone wild.jpg
not sure if my image is attached

Also Silicone around compartments
Old 11-21-2017, 12:27 PM   #295
Platinum Member

I know there has to be some sealant so the mounts don't leak, but don't know what is "normal." Seems like a lot around the awning so perhaps something "bad" happened to the awning (happens all the time) and it had to be replaced. Not a reason to void the sale, but I'd check the walls and cabinets on that side for evidence of prior leaks. Perform the "sniff test" for mold or damp - THAT is a reason to void the sale.

I have the Crossfit but since these are both by Coachmen, I'd guess they are similar in build quality. Later today, I'll get a selfie stick and see what my roof looks like.

Not everyone reads the introductions - suggest you post this question on the general forum.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:01 PM   #296
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Attachment 5169

It doesn't look like silicone to me.

Silicone is the wrong sealant for RV exteriors. They are guaranteed to fail.

The blob looks like Dicor Self-Leveling Lap Sealant.

ps. you can start a new thread for your RV.
Just click on the "New Thread" button.
http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f5/
Old 11-21-2017, 11:17 PM   #297
Platinum Member

Quote:
Attachment 5169

OK. Even with a selfie stick and step-stool, I'm too short to get a really good picture of the van roof, but I think this shows the amount of sealant on our rig. You are looking across the top at the back of the awning. As you can see, the braces for the awning have very little sealant, but there is plenty around the roof perforations for the solar wiring. Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0596.jpg (267.6 KB, 6 views)
Old 07-21-2018, 01:00 AM   #298
Platinum Member

Default Two Flat-landers and Ty the Wonder Dog

Took our "new-to-us" '2012 Airstream Avenue Suite (think Roadtrek 190) on our first big trip in May. Not without a few issues, but nothing I wasn't able fix on the road. The van handled great, the 6.0L Chevy gas engine is a beast, and we averaged 15 mpg over 4,000 miles.

Our trip from the Texas coast included Big Bend, Carlsbad Caverns, Santa Fe, Canyonlands, Arches, Salt Lake City, Yellowstone, Devil's Tower, Mt. Rushmore, Palo Alto Canyon S.P. and Dinosaur S.P. near Amarillo, TX.

Typoon (Ty) the Wonder Dog went everywhere we did. We weren't sure how he'd do with the traveling and camping on our trip, but he was a champ.

(Edit: Sorry about the side-ways pics. Forgot some were off our cell phone.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180512_145824.jpg (251.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7726.JPG (908.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7735.JPG (481.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7777.JPG (720.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7809.JPG (576.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7907.JPG (575.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20180520_133518.jpg (188.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7991.JPG (842.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7620.JPG (550.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 20180520_173408.jpg (165.6 KB, 5 views)
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 01:17 AM   #299

Sounds like a nice trip.
And nice looking rig you have.
Buckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 01:44 AM   #300
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckster View Post
Sounds like a nice trip.
And nice looking rig you have.
Thanks. I de-badged it of three sets of huge AIRSTREAM lettering for stealth (due to our neighborhood association). So far, so good in nine months.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote