Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2015, 07:09 PM   #1

Default Less than 22' Class B New Member

Hi,

We plan to buy our first RV this year but we live in a city where RV's over 22-feet long cannot park on city streets for more than 72 hours. We are apartment dwellers with a garage too small for an RV.

My research to date points to the PW Ascent as the only model that will really work for us. I'm joining this forum to learn as much as possible about the smallest RV's on the market.

Any advice/input from those who currently own, previously owned or plan to own a small Class B (144" wheelbase) would be most appreciated. If this would be easier to do by creating another, specific Forum please let me know.

Thanks,
Cynthia
cybutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 07:19 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Roadtrek Zion, Winnebago Travato.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 07:32 PM   #3
Platinum Member

There are actually a lot them under 22". All the Chevy Roadtreks on full bodies are, the 190 and 170 Chevies. So are the older Dodge models of most brands.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:25 PM   #4
Platinum Member

RT SS Agile is 19.5'
MobileCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:37 PM   #5

Hello again,

Thank you for the quick responses. It is impressive. I'm afraid I was not clear in my original post.

I have done the research. I think I know all the RV models that fall in the less than 22-feet category. I just want to learn from others about their personal experiences with them. For example: The double bed on the W Travato is too narrow for us and we don't want the twin-beds. The Bathroom in almost all of the RT models is simply claustrophobic (small and no window) for us and is on the wrong side. (We want the kitchen looking out into our campsite.)

Having said that, perhaps others didn't find the things I mentioned a problem. Since we have no practical experience, we may be overlooking things that are important and focusing on things that are not. You just can't know what is important until you spend time in a unit and as you all know, renting Class B's is either cost-prohibitive or non-existent.

Thanks again. I hope to engage with more of you.

Cynthia
Old 08-12-2015, 09:03 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Pleasure-way also has a Ram Promaster model similar to the Ascent in plan. They call it the Lexor which use to be the name for their Chevy van. That would give you a choice between Sprinter and Promaster under 22 feet with most things being comparable and meeting your criteria. As for Pleasure-way, they might be a notch above the others mentioned in quality.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 08:09 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Why not get a cargo van and put your own interior in. I just ordered own and I'll take the time to choose and build my preferred amenities.

Van Williams

CargoVanConversion.com
cargovanconversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 09:22 PM   #8

This sounds like a great idea but I've never pursued it because we will need to finance a portion of the purchase. I'll check into the loan possibilities for the van itself and see if our savings would let us finish it.

Do you think it would be possible to install a wine storage unit? Would have to keep the bottles at a constant temp (around 55 degrees) so something would have to be running at all times. Does that rule it out?

Also heard about a "back deck" like those on toy haulers. I've been told it could be installed after market. Do you know anything about this? Example on this website:

Specifications | Embassy? Class B RV | SVO Group Inc.

Thanks!
Old 09-06-2015, 12:34 PM   #9

We just met a lady who converted her Ram to a camper. She had an RV dealer install the electric converter/charger and whatnot, but most impressive was the cabinets and composting toilet she installed herself.
States02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 07:59 PM   #10
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybutler View Post

Having said that, perhaps others didn't find the things I mentioned a problem. Since we have no practical experience, we may be overlooking things that are important and focusing on things that are not. You just can't know what is important until you spend time in a unit and as you all know, renting Class B's is either cost-prohibitive or non-existent.
Quote:
This sounds like a great idea but I've never pursued it because we will need to finance a portion of the purchase. I'll check into the loan possibilities for the van itself and see if our savings would let us finish it.

Do you think it would be possible to install a wine storage unit? Would have to keep the bottles at a constant temp (around 55 degrees) so something would have to be running at all times. Does that rule it out?

Also heard about a "back deck" like those on toy haulers. I've been told it could be installed after market. Do you know anything about this? Example on this website:

Specifications | Embassy? Class B RV | SVO Group Inc.

Thanks!
Hi and welcome to the forum. I've only been doing the campervan thing for about 5 months now so my practical experience is still limited but I think I can offer a bit of help.

Since you aren't exactly sure what you need or like yet, do you think it would be worth buying an older van in order to get familiar with what you like or don't and what you use and what you don't. This way you aren't dropping almost 6 figures on a van that you think suits you. A few shake down trips should let you get the feel for everything and by buying/selling an older unit you probably wouldn't lose a whole lot of money if you end up getting rid of it in a few months or whenever. By all means if the other vans are what you want then I'd say get it.

I would say it would be fairly easy to have a small wine chiller installed. You would need to find the model that works for you and then get the power requirements for it. If you can figure out how much power it draws then you will be able to plan your vehicle power requirements to accommodate the needs of the chiller. The biggest issue might be finding space to install it since these vans usually try to use all the space available.

The back deck install also should be doable. You will need to check the manufacturer of the deck and see if it is model specific to any vans. This might limit your options right here. But if you are skilled at fabricating or have deeper pockets, as long as there is space and the van can support the deck both structurally and the extra weight it will be carrying, then it should be doable on any van. Just be sure to crawl underneath it and check things out. Lots of vans have things like fuel tanks, holding tanks, etc, all stashed under the back of the van so space might be limited.
eightup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 11:34 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Hi,

We plan to buy our first RV this year but we live in a city where RV's over 22-feet long cannot park on city streets for more than 72 hours. We are apartment dwellers with a garage too small for an RV.

My research to date points to the PW Ascent as the only model that will really work for us. I'm joining this forum to learn as much as possible about the smallest RV's on the market.

Any advice/input from those who currently own, previously owned or plan to own a small Class B (144" wheelbase) would be most appreciated. If this would be easier to do by creating another, specific Forum please let me know.

Thanks,
Cynthia
Welcome
I own a 2007 Pleasure-way Plateau TS 144" w/b which is under 22ft in length and with no dualies I can legally park on any city street without getting a ticket. With dualies, at least here in Canada where I live or have visited, the ticketing folks have a little gift to show their appreciation: a ticket! You don't say if you are buying new or used. New Springters except for the Ascent or maybe one other are too long for you. Dodge Promaster based Rvs would be fine. Happy looking.
AL
Fastpaddler1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
144" wheelbase, ascent, pleasure-way, small