Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2014, 09:46 AM   #1

Default Mario here on the Suncoast in Florida

My name is Mario. We recently acquired a 2000 model year Rialta with 73000 miles. Intended use for the Rialta is as a tow vehicle for my racecar and trailer and occasional road trips with wife and grandkids.

Still learning how to take advantage of all the equipment and features. I am trying to upgrade the powertrain and chassis for towing purposes and to customize the graphics and wheels.

Anyone who has been down this path before are welcome to make suggestions.

TOWING - I have added electric brakes to the trailer and a transmission cooler to the coach.

GRAPHICS - Planning to remove the old and faded graphics with heat gun and create a new replacement.

WHEELS - We currently have stamped wheels with Kmart looking wheel covers. Looking for cool looking wheels with proper load rating and perhaps slightly larger/wider.

Thanks

4MARIO

4MARIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 12:38 PM   #2
Platinum Member

As a member of the NO-TOW-BAGO Rialta club there is lots of information about towing with the Rialta. What transmission cooler did you install? To save the life of the transmission most members have installed the

mloganusda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 12:38 PM   #3
Platinum Member

As a member of the NO-TOW-BAGO Rialta club there is lots of information about towing with the Rialta. What transmission cooler did you install? To save the life of the transmission most members have installed the http://www.makcotransmissionpa.....21-1K.html with the bypass. There are several Rialta groups, Yahoo Rialta-Tech and Rialta Big Tent group, that have Tech info about different problems and repairs.

Graphics = what ever you want.

Wheels, 16" diameter only with load range "D" for weight. At least 104(front)/109(rear) rating for weight (2K#+). Most owners leave off the wheel hubcaps because of the flexing and loosing hupcaps. Check the rear axel around the back of the brake hub for possible cracks to prevent wheel from falling off.

Most of these items will be found in the file sections of both groups. Your hitch is only rated for 200# tongue weight and 2K# total weight. Most owners purchase a scan-gagueII to monitor engine and transmission temperatures.

Old 05-11-2014, 10:05 PM   #4

Mike

Thanks for the comments

I'm using the Makco trans cooler and I installed a temp gage

Trans temp is usually same as water temp except when in stop and go traffic where trans temp goes up 20 degrees or so

I know the published hitch rating for tongue and draw load. Although I'm above it, I think the hitch itself is strong enough & I will modify it further. I think the rating has more to do with powertrain and chassis limits that I am trying to improve where ever I can.

Have you done much towing with your Rialta?

Mario

Old 05-12-2014, 11:40 AM   #5
Platinum Member

I have not done any towing yet. I will be pulling a small trailer with golf cart to GNR (Grand National Rally= by Winnebago, Forest City, IO) in July. With my trans cooler my trans temp run 140-160*F most of the time and in winter (40*F or lower) most use something to block off air flow to cooler. You may want to check on your radiator fans to be sure they are blowing the right direction as a lot of owners have found them blowing wrong direction. My 04' HD (second owner 2012) had the fans replaced and one was blowing out which caused me to loose my front A/C compressor on trip to GNR. With the scan gauge II it can be programed to read trans temp and other measurments.

What type of race car? In early years I participated in Autocross and SCCA autocross in central CA with a 66' Corvair, 140 HP, 4 sp. and later SCCA 90' Accura Intergra at the Nashville SuperSpeedway. I tried the SCCA autocross 3 years ago when I purchased an 06' Mini Cooper S, 6 sp auto to see how it performed. I am now into camping with Winnebago groups in TN.

On the other Rialta sites there is loads of information on problems with refrig, furnace, shower drain, etc. that will help you out with repairs and modifications owners have done to help out other owners.

Old 05-18-2014, 07:12 PM   #6

Mike

my race car is a Brunton Stalker Classic (62 Lotus S7 replica with 500HP LS1 V

its street legal but I track it 4 or 5 times a year at road race circuits of interest

last year I went to Road Atlanta, Palm Beach international & Miami Homestead

this year I'm headed to NJ Motorsports Park, Watkins Glen & Circuit of the Americas

My direct email is mlparker27@aol.com

I have a hard time navigating this forum with dexterity

Feel to reach out directly. I'm looking for heftier and/or cool looking wheels if you have any leads. Others talk about 16" on their Rialtas but mine has 15s. 195/70/15 FR & 215/70/15 RR. What's on yours.

Thx

Mario

734 368 6059