Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2020, 06:29 PM   #1

Default mobile office transition to rv

hi, newbie here.

Haven't bought yet but leaning toward Winnebago Boldt. Intention is initially using it as a mobile office most of the time but gradually transitioning toward mostly RV use over 5 years. Also glanced at the Advanced RV shorty and Pleasureway but still leaning toward Boldt currently, though if I could find something similar in the shorter length it would probably be a better fit initially
vandijk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 07:26 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandijk View Post
hi, newbie here.

Haven't bought yet but leaning toward Winnebago Boldt. Intention is initially using it as a mobile office most of the time but gradually transitioning toward mostly RV use over 5 years. Also glanced at the Advanced RV shorty and Pleasureway but still leaning toward Boldt currently, though if I could find something similar in the shorter length it would probably be a better fit initially
Welcome to the forum vandijk!

I would not let length be your deciding factor. A 21' Promaster, 22' Transit, or 24' Sprinter will add welcome extra space and most with those longer units say driving is no difference. Parking is a little more concern, but not in campsites. If in a parking lot, just park away from crowds and take two spaces. I think you'll find no one minds.

As far as the interior, find a layout you like that has a front lounge since you'll be working out of it. Obviously the big lithium package will be great, but don't count on running your roof a/c much from it. On hot sunny you'll only get 6-8 hrs. max and then you'll need to drive or plug in to recharge. If you don't need the very expensive factory lithium option, you may find that even a 200Ah lithium package will run everything but a/c and recharge quickly with adequate solar or a couple of hours daily driving. We can run the microwave and boon dock two days with our 200Ah lithium battery upgrade and run the microwave and a compressor fridge.

Check out reviews on youtube by Ultramobility and the Fit RV.

Good luck and let us know what you get.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 07:50 PM   #3
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
hi, newbie here.

IF all of the features of a Bolt are Required, buy it as there is not a lot out there to choose from with All of the Bolt features, possibly a Beyond with most or all options.

You write: "though if I could find something similar in the shorter length it would probably be a better fit initially"

The point is that it is Unlikely that you'll want the whatever B in five years, but if $'s are not a restriction buy that B then.

Have fun shopping.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 10:06 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
hi, newbie here.

I designed and have on order a shorty Sprinter from Advanced RV. My work space and eating tray will be two TV sized trays one with each turned around cab seat. That is all I need for a MacBook Pro laptop. I don't want a shared larger table because I want to slip into my seat when the other one is occupied. I designed a movable side table that will convert into a step for additional surface area if I ever need it. I have additional space between the table and the kitchen galley for a cabinet but for the meantime it might be taken up by a kitty litter box.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 03:36 PM   #5

Thanks - can you share approx price it'll go for? I have a beagle who will sometimes need to accompany me at remote worksites so the Boldt's power system ability to provide even a few hours of AC without starting the engine is a plus. (at remote worksites I am as likely to be within a customer facility as sitting in the vehicle).
Old 01-07-2020, 04:28 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I have no price estimate yet.
Old 01-07-2020, 09:56 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Not related to the power system directly, but I, too, operate a mobile office with a pooch. So far, the dog has been on five cross-continent trips, all of them boondocking. In 2019, we spent about 3 months living almost entirely off-grid in our van.

Husband and I designed and installed our own lithium system a few years ago. For the amount of work that goes into lithium, frankly I'd rather run the a/c off the generator if I can get away with making noise (e.g., stopped for lunch at a restaurant next to a freeway). We can run our roof a/c for about 2.5 hours on the lithium alone, but there are potential issues that are easier to manage if we don't have to (I'm omitting a LOT of detail for brevity).

I find that the secret to sanity is a large number of ergonomic mods and enhancements above and beyond the power supply. That includes a custom hitch carrier which we also made (my husband is a hobby welder), and a few other items you can see in this pic below, including a dog platform up front (less motion sickness on 6,000-mile jaunts - I swivel the seat around and have a custom cut plywood insert to span the footwell on that side), and this armrest table that I made to hold my snacks when I'm traveling thousands of miles solo. We've done a lot of other mods also, for space efficiency.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 03:38 AM   #8

Thanks! Great info!
Old 02-13-2020, 03:51 PM   #9

Default I bought something!

After talking to a few dealers and visiting an RV show, I ended up buying a 2018 Roadtrek Agile SS for $99k. I've only had it for a few days so can't really speak to experience with it yet (and house guests mean my focus is elsewhere), but I will share my impressions soon.
Old 07-19-2021, 11:18 AM   #10

To me, it sounds a little bit weird to have your office in your RV. More than that, what in the world is that? Isn’t a RV supposed to be used as a traveling thing? If you are looking for an office but don’t have a lot of money, you can always google a little and you will definitely find a good place. Or, you can go here https://osdoro.com.sg/office-space-for-rent/ and you will be more than satisfied because this company can find you an office for every purpose that you need.
hiemsop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 01:21 PM   #11
Platinum Member

With the Covid pandemic and closing of offices a lot of people have chosen or with no choice to work remotely be it at home or creatively on the road. Companies are learning a lot to accommodate this and some jobs might be permanently remote from an office. My daughter, for instance, had been a medical coder for Optum long before Covid working at home. It probably has spurred RV sales, second home sales and increased the price of homes in the outer suburbs and small towns with location freedom. Hopefully it will spur on universal internet access or force current providers to upgrade and get serious for competitive reasons.

As far as buying a B for your needs now working remotely, go for it (as you have). Lots of wants and needs change in 5 years. Accept that as you gain knowledge of RVing. I’m on my fourth B in 17 years. All were good vans but I learned something from each and, of course, my wants and needs have changed too.

So far, I am liking the 144 WB Sprinter under 20 feet. It is a game changer for me much more than I imagined.

Tags
boldt, dog, newbie, wifi