Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2017, 10:23 PM   #1

Smile New Adventure in my 2003 Roadtrek 170

Hello all!

I'm very excited to be a new member in this group! I've been a travel nurse over the past 2 years and have finally taken the plunge and purchased a 2003 Roadtrek 170 to take from job to job. I'll be working my next assignment in California, driving out from the Midwest here in a few days. If anyone has any suggestions on places to stay/secret gems along the way let me know-- I'll be heading west by way of Austin,TX and Tucson, AZ/Joshua Tree NP to do some mountain biking & camping over the next 10ish days. Also, I'll be de-winterizing my Roadtrek for the first time... if anyone has any tips for newbies throw em my way & wish me luck! Hope to meet some of y'all along my travels!
Jsweetin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 07:29 PM   #2

Congrats on your purchase and happy trails to you!
hanesworthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 11:42 AM   #3
Silver Member

Congratulations! Our 170 is a couple years older. Be careful, sounds like you're starting your trip during this deep freeze. That's 4 tons of weight you're driving around!

Your route is sort of the reverse my son and I took back in 2010. We chose to follow the old historic route 66 which is essentially now hwy 40, but the old parts of 66 still accessible on/off the new highway. Especially coming from Illinois, you'll probably go portions of your drive on 66. Stop by Winslow.."take it easy" Jackson Browne...see La Posada hotel. Petrified forest, the big crater, Bryce canyon, Red Rock, Navajo lands, canyon de Chelly....too many to see. Never been on hwy 10 but I'm betting the old 66 will be more fun. And if you do go this way, a good quick guide book is the EZ 66 Guide by McClanahan.

My late mom and my sister being nurses, I applaud your choice of profession. Happy road trekking...
Old 01-05-2017, 09:04 PM   #4
Platinum Member

It is not reasonable for you to expect to make that trip without problems. Expect Chevy to serve you well but unless your seller set you up really well you can expect problems with the RV systems. Furnace, refrigerator, generator, A/C, water pump, dump system and commode if you use it. Keeping the coach battery charged is another issue.

Some problems will be due to lack of knowledge. Hopefully you do know to keep the refrigerator level when parked, run it on DC when driving and remove it from DC when the engine stops.

To start with go to ACE hardware and get a set (3) of square drive screw drivers. Get a small tool box as you will accumulate tools as you need them. A flat blade and Phillips will be needed, too. Roadtrek uses square head screws. Look at the screws for the bathroom door latch to see what they look like.

A digital voltmeter will be nice to have. Has your TV been upgraded to HD?

New Mexico rest areas have nice Casitas for overnight stops. No charge.

Look into Kartchner Caverns near Bisbee as a tourist stop.

Let us know if you have problems. You probably only need information but several of us are along your route.
Harry and Judy 2003 Chevy 190 Popular
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 09:11 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Forgot to mention: Buy an electric heater so you have an option when the furnace craps out. You just have to check in to an RV park with power. We use the Pelonis heat cube ceramic heater. You don't have much storage room so get the smallest electric heater you can.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 05:41 AM   #6
Platinum Member

we have a bed bath etc vornado 750/375 w.

when on shore power, we use that it blows more gentle waft of warmth than heat.

it is quiet, places no strain on the electrical systems and is quite small- $20

as for route Northern AZ is at altitude and it is cold, and I40 sometimes is closed.

so your thought of a more southerly route may be wise-

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 01:48 PM   #7

Have fun with your RT 170. Ours is a 2001 Dodge. Have 130,000 miles and has been a lot of fun. Make certain you get all systems checked out, coach and van before your trip. We have an annual check up on the van performed by a reliable mechanic (and close friend).

CC
clermontcubby52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 11:53 PM   #8

thanks for the message back in January. just now getting around to responding. I made it out to California had problems with my ECM toward the end of my trip but was fixed and now I'm dealing with switching out my battery box. Next trip, driving to Alaska in May and learning so much about my van along the way
Jsweetin is offline   Reply With Quote