Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2017, 11:49 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default New from Colorado

Hi, I'm a new member but long time RV owner, looking to purchase a Travato class B.

My wife and I are musicians that are travelling more and more for gigs, and we just signed a deal with a small record label, which will lead to even more travel. We are pretty set on the Travato 59g... it looks to be the best layout to fit our needs of living, long distance travel, boondocking, and carrying a small PA set up. We can't wait to find the right rig!

As I said, we're familiar with RV's. Once upon a time as young adventurers, we lived in a '77 Vogue class A for for 2 1/2 years. Also lots of time in an old VW Westy. We've owned a Fleetwood Pioneer travel trailer for about 6 years, and have enjoyed it, but as musicians, we find we sleep in our 2000 E350 Cargo Van far more than we use the trailer. Hoping to have the best of both worlds in a Class B.

Thanks for adding me as a member!
Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 12:28 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Welcome aboard. Your going for a fine B and you two should enjoy how it handles and especially that you can park where the cars go....big time saver if you have equipment, etc. There are a few articles on the Travato 59G. If you have questions, there are members that have extensive knowledge in RV's and their operation...and sometimes non, ha! Ron
Old 06-15-2017, 11:51 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I know you from ADV and the van thread. Welcome here from a fellow 59g owner.

Eric

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 12:16 PM   #4
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1514 View Post
I know you from ADV and the van thread. Welcome here from a fellow 59g owner.

Eric
Hi Eric! Yeah, I am going to be super sad to get rid of my E350, but my lifestyle has changed a lot. We travel for music far more than riding these days, and a Class B would just be a better fit.

We are realizing we may not be able to afford a Travato just yet, so we are considering a very clean Gulf Stream Vista Cruiser on the early sprinter chassis. I'm sort of enamored with the huge storage space; that would be great for music equipment, and the larger van would work great when we take our bass player along.

Any thoughts on the Vista Cruiser?
Old 06-16-2017, 02:17 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I liked the Gulf Stream with that huge area under the bed and the pop outs on the side to make the bed wider. It was my first choice but I couldn't find any close enough to me to look at and I wasn't going to do a fly and ride based on a craigslist ad. They are also getting to be old. On the other hand, I think it would be a great fit for you, maybe better than the Travato. I think the bed is larger and that space under the bed is more useful for your gear.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
Old 06-16-2017, 03:15 PM   #6
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1514 View Post
I liked the Gulf Stream with that huge area under the bed and the pop outs on the side to make the bed wider. It was my first choice but I couldn't find any close enough to me to look at and I wasn't going to do a fly and ride based on a craigslist ad. They are also getting to be old. On the other hand, I think it would be a great fit for you, maybe better than the Travato. I think the bed is larger and that space under the bed is more useful for your gear.
We carry a LOT of equipment. With the Travato, we were thinking we'd have to pare it down, but with the Vista Cruiser, we'd be fine. The price is a big part, too.

When we first started considering a class B, the Gulf Stream was my first choice. I like a lot of things about it, except for the age, but again, money makes it look good.
Old 06-16-2017, 03:35 PM   #7
Platinum Member

My thoughts exactly.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
Old 06-16-2017, 09:40 PM   #8
Bronze Member

Yikes! We did it. We pick up our 2006 Gulf Stream Vista Cruiser on June 26th. Fly-and-drive. Can't wait!
Old 06-17-2017, 01:15 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Congrats on your new home on wheels. Ron
Old 06-17-2017, 05:08 PM   #10
Platinum Member

many B's have little carrying capacity.

Look at this weight and consider whether you will need a trailer for the pa merch etc.

if you have valuable instruments- in the van is better up to a limit ( weight)( martins in the van, takamines in the trailer)

...and for a trailer I would only use a dual axle w/ brakes

that way the trailer won;t push the van when you brake, and dual axle means it won;t flip if you pop a tire.

my many years on the road I have seen dozens of crumpled u hauls and other trailers.

this brings in the aspect of theft- which means you need to lock the trailer wheels and hitch when parked

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 08:34 PM   #11
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
many B's have little carrying capacity.

Look at this weight and consider whether you will need a trailer for the pa merch etc.

if you have valuable instruments- in the van is better up to a limit ( weight)( martins in the van, takamines in the trailer)

...and for a trailer I would only use a dual axle w/ brakes

that way the trailer won;t push the van when you brake, and dual axle means it won;t flip if you pop a tire.

my many years on the road I have seen dozens of crumpled u hauls and other trailers.

this brings in the aspect of theft- which means you need to lock the trailer wheels and hitch when parked

Mike

One reason we went with the Gulf Stream is the huge storage space for equipment. We normally play as a duo, with a lot of stuff for a duo but not very heavy. This should be enough space for a couple of guitars, a couple of 12x cabinents, etc.

(stock pic)

With bed folded forward (it folds up a-frame style)

Old 06-17-2017, 09:00 PM   #12
Platinum Member

As was mentioned get a good look at your weight capacity label, and then take a trip to the scales to see how much weight you can carry besides you and tank contents. I think all the single wheel units were 3/4 ton vans and had low cargo capacity after conversion. Just because the space is there doesn't necessarily mean you can fill it up with heavy stuff.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 02:15 AM   #13
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post

One reason we went with the Gulf Stream is the huge storage space for equipment. We normally play as a duo, with a lot of stuff for a duo but not very heavy. This should be enough space for a couple of guitars, a couple of 12x cabinents, etc.

(stock pic)

With bed folded forward (it folds up a-frame style)

Nice configuration.

I think you picked a winner.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 02:30 PM   #14
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post
Nice configuration.

I think you picked a winner.
Thanks! I think it will be great for our needs. My only concern is the length, and getting it into some of the small parking lots/busy towns that we play music in. My E350 is about 3 feet shorter, and it's never a problem. We will see!
Old 07-28-2017, 10:24 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Yo Hayduke, looking good my friend!
Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 10:35 PM   #16
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
Yo Hayduke, looking good my friend!
Hey, Hondo! Loving the lift you did on your Roadtrek! It's giving me ideas...