Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2013, 08:29 PM   #1

Default New Member

Hi, my name is Joanne and I'm getting ready to retire in 3 yrs. I'm just starting to look for an RV and fell in love with the Rialta. Would like to purchase one. If you have any leads please let me know. I would like the 22QD with average to low mileage for its' age.

rojo54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:12 AM   #2

Default New Member

I have just acquired a 2005 Rialta with only 19000 miles on the clock. It came to the UK via Germany where the original owner had imported it new from the US.

I have had Motorhomes since 1969 so I think I can call myself a 'Veteran Motorhomer'! This is my 11th Motorhome and my 4th American one the last being a 2005 Fourwinds Siesta 24 BB. The double slide outs on that gave a huge amount of floorspace were great but after trying to negotiate some of the very narrow UK roads and on the continent in places that were calling out to be visited, it reluctantly had to go!

I first saw a Winnebago like the Rialta I now have when visiting Interlarken in Switzerland. There were four adults touring in it and they told us, my late husband, daughter and son in law who were in a Dolphin on a Toyota Hi Lux truck, admittedly smaller than the Fourwinds Siesta, that they managed very well in it. We were very impressed with the seating, four comfortable 'Captains' seats and a much more economical engine.

My Rialta came with a safari room which will nearly double the living space. There are now three adults and a 10 year old granddaughter who is nearly as big as me! We have had one weekend away in it in order to try it out including the Safari room that had never been used. My son in law and I used it last weekend to go to visit relatives in Yorkshire a 500 mile (UK mile) trip. The Rialta went like a dream. I drove it some of the trip, couldn't believe how easy it was having relied entirely on son in law to drive the Fourwinds Siesta. Of course we have all got to learn to 'downsize' but will have the benefit of getting to places previously restricted to us in the larger RV.

Maid of Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:21 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Default New Member

Welcome to the group. This site is okay but there are Yahoo sites that have technical data for the upkeep, modifications, and weak points of the Rialta. Search the yahoo site for groups and join (no cost) but is mostly about the US Rialtas. There is also a member that leaves his Rialta overseas and travels around Europe a lot in it. I own a 2004 Rialta HD (larger refrigerator model) and have made some modificatons to it to sleep 3. The last three years (03-05) of the Rialta are built on the 2003 chassis, so use this for when you look for parts and use Eurovan model, as this is what the Rialta is based on.

mloganusda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:44 PM   #4

Default New Member

Thanks for the advice Mike. After having spent a fortune on previous American R Vs mainly involving the electrics that obviously needed converting for UK /European use, I at last found Simon a very knowledgable guy only a few miles away from me who knows practically all there is to know about them. (Www.mercuryarv.org.uk). He has given the Rialta the once over and found a few things that need attention. These include rear fog lights and appropriate side indicator lights both a requirement in UK roads. He is also going to upgrade it weight wise from 3300 kg to hopefully 4000 kg by replacing the rear tyres and checking with the local government department that the braking system is adequate.

I am also going to have it under sealed as the UK roads are covered in salt during the winter months. The previous owner had mainly had in storage during the winter months it would seem. I intend to use the Rialta throughout the year when undergoing long journeys as it is so much more comfortable than the Peugeot Horizon Tipee I have as my everyday vehicle.

I am getting around 25 miles per gallon (UK measurements) when averaging 60 mph which I think is very acceptable.

I would be very interested to know if there are any Rialta owners near me here in the UK. I live in Kent, a village near Canterbury to be precise and am only half an hour away from the channel ferries and tunnel that give me easy access to Europe.

Maid of Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:31 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Default New Member

One quick note on tires is you need a "D" rated tire for the weight, ones that will bear weight of 900 kilograms on the rear. Have your freind read the Rialta-Tech Yahoo site about tires and rear axel. Read the Winnebago sticker that has all the mearsurments of what weight you can carry. Too much weight on the rear axel will cause it to bend and possibly cause a crack and breakoff. This is now being discussed on the Yahoo site. There is also instructions for an external transmission cooler to keep the transmission from overheating while driving up mountains. I know of one couple that leave their Rialta in Europe and they have a travel blog but can not find it now as yahoo has messed up their site with a new format.

Old 09-01-2013, 04:38 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Default New Member

Here are the Rialta owners that travel Europe in their Rialta. http:// dot travel dot jeffersoncampervan dot com.