Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2018, 01:53 PM   #1

Default New rv'r

Just bought a new to us 2001 Roadtrek 170 Popular .We are looking forward to seeing our country at a leisurely pace. We were always in a hurry.
Look forward to meeting new friends and learning new things. I know we will be asking for advice on everything related to our new Adventure.
Thank you all in advance.
Sheila and I wish everyone a Blessed and Happy New Year!
jas Alvarado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 08:49 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas Alvarado View Post
Just bought a new to us 2001 Roadtrek 170 Popular .We are looking forward to seeing our country at a leisurely pace. We were always in a hurry.
Look forward to meeting new friends and learning new things. I know we will be asking for advice on everything related to our new Adventure.
Thank you all in advance.
Sheila and I wish everyone a Blessed and Happy New Year!
Welcome to the forum jas Alvarado!

Enjoy your Roadtrek 170. Nice handy size so long as you aren't too tall to sleep sideways on the rear bed.

Check it out on your driveway, try everything before you camp, and even do a 1-3 day shake-down trip close to home. Then, you'll be ready for a longer trip with better ideas on what you need to pack.

If you only have one battery, conserving it will be a necessary goal (as it is for those of us with two batteries). Try reducing parasitic drains by switching off any unnecessary systems. I use only 12v tv/dvd, fans, etc. so we never use the inverter. Keep your fridge on propane, consider buying a fresh battery to start, and you'll be ok provided you drive several hours each day or plug in at night.

Happy travels.

rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 11:51 PM   #3

Default Good advice

Thanks for the advice RowieBowie. Planning a 1000 mile trip around Lake Michigan in spring,but will do as you suggest. Starting with a weekend trip to Starved Rock state park,always liked going there.
We intend to travel to Fredericksburg ,Texas looking for a place to possibly settle.
Maybe we'll meet up sometime.
Old 01-01-2019, 02:55 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas Alvarado View Post
Thanks for the advice RowieBowie. Planning a 1000 mile trip around Lake Michigan in spring,but will do as you suggest. Starting with a weekend trip to Starved Rock state park,always liked going there.
We intend to travel to Fredericksburg ,Texas looking for a place to possibly settle.
Maybe we'll meet up sometime.
I love the name of parks like "Starved Rock".

Fredericksburg and the hill country is a nice drive for us flat-landers on the coast. A lot of people want to move there, so prices are high (at least for Texas). The problem for us is it is just a hot in the Summer (if not more so than the coast) and colder in the Winter, so we'll stay put and keep it as a place to visit.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 05:55 PM   #5
Bronze Member

Welcome aboard! I also recommend the Roadtrek Facebook site for older about 84 - 04 Roadtreks. there are about 3500 members and a whole file of needed information, you will find very helpful. Have you learned anything about phone apps yet? FMCA is good too Look into that and their Roadside assistance. as well as other things they offer. We have been traveling many miles since buying or first Roadtrek 3 years, 30,000 miles ago. Love it!
Roadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 02:49 PM   #6

My wife and I are also RV newbies; we purchased a Roadtrek 190P two months ago and have done three short trips close to home. I am curious about the "phone apps"... there seem to be a lot of them out there for finding places to camp... are there 1 or 2 that stand out from the rest?
jamesv999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 05:32 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesv999 View Post
My wife and I are also RV newbies; we purchased a Roadtrek 190P two months ago and have done three short trips close to home. I am curious about the "phone apps"... there seem to be a lot of them out there for finding places to camp... are there 1 or 2 that stand out from the rest?
Allstays RV and Camp(no longer available on Android)

https://freecampsites.net/
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 01:02 PM   #8

That makes perfect sense.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:06 PM   #9

Default Good advice

I understand and would do the same if I were you.
We're just outside of Chicago so looking forward to somewhere warm.