Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2016, 02:22 PM   #61
Platinum Member

Imagine a regen event occurring at a campsite .......

I read a lot of B related forums a groups but don't recall any discussion about regeneration. It must be happening out on highways. A lot of these Class B units have low mileage compared to commercial vans though.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 02:27 PM   #62
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post
The Sprinter engine is not new.
It is not new in North America. (10+ yrs?)
Just a note: 10+ year old NA Sprinters didn't have the pollution controls we're talking about. Someone with greater knowledge of Sprinters will know what year this stuff was introduced.
Old 06-07-2016, 02:27 PM   #63
Platinum Member

Quote:
The manufacturers (ALL manufacturers) have specific instructions on engine care.

Idling is specifically permitted by the manufacturer,
with specific instruction on intervals and remedies.

If you have worries, the worries should be of something outside of the manufacturer's specifications.
I think this is just what this all started with, as MB has been extremely uncommiting, inconsistent, and very squishy on giving the customers the recommendations and specifications for idling and DPF questions. Customers really have no idea if they are within the recommendations or not.

If you read the European forums, manufacturers, and mechanics information, they are talking about all the same issues as this, but across a much wider range of vehicles because they have more available diesels.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 02:31 PM   #64
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
Imagine a regen event occurring at a campsite .......

I read a lot of B related forums a groups but don't recall any discussion about regeneration. It must be happening out on highways. A lot of these Class B units have low mileage compared to commercial vans though.
I don't think it would be an issue because it is highly likely the MB doesn't allow a regen unless the vehicle is moving.

If it could happen, a class B would be the worst vehicle in the world to have it happen to, I would think, sitting in the woods over all kinds of combustibles, roaring along at high idle for a long time, and with exhaust hot enough to cause severe burns.
Old 06-07-2016, 02:41 PM   #65
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
I don't think it would be an issue because it is highly likely the MB doesn't allow a regen unless the vehicle is moving.

If it could happen, a class B would be the worst vehicle in the world to have it happen to, I would think, sitting in the woods over all kinds of combustibles, roaring along at high idle for a long time, and with exhaust hot enough to cause severe burns.

Both you and markopolo have been in this circular function for years. When are you going find an exit?

At the meantime thousands more MB diesels have been sold around the World in various applications, including RV by multiple builders in North America.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 02:45 PM   #66
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
Just a note: 10+ year old NA Sprinters didn't have the pollution controls we're talking about. Someone with greater knowledge of Sprinters will know what year this stuff was introduced.
Rethinking that ---- the pollution control we're referring to might have been introduced about 10 years ago - time does zip by.

The first commercially produced Class B to use idling the engine as source for electrical power would have happened in 2012 iirc. Just a few units would date back that far.
Old 06-07-2016, 02:46 PM   #67
Platinum Member

Quote:
Both you and markopolo have been in this circular function for years. When are you going find an exit?

At the meantime thousands more MB diesels have been sold around the World in various applications, including RV by multiple builders in North America.
Me? Never
Old 06-07-2016, 02:52 PM   #68
Platinum Member

Quote:

This is not a circular function, it is a valid discussion as to if there is a problem or not, and what other brands of diesels say about it.

Maybe we will find an exit if you actually post all the specifications and recommendations that you say exist for Sprinter idling, DPF, EGR, etc care. As of right now, there is just about as much absolute information that there is not a potential issue as there is that is a problem, IMO. And in both cases it isn't much information.

Interesting that you refer to years worth of circling, when you just joined. You also have a very familiar writing style, statement pattern, and broad statements with no backup. Could it be you have been here in a previous life?
Old 06-07-2016, 03:23 PM   #69
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
This is not a circular function, it is a valid discussion as to if there is a problem or not, and what other brands of diesels say about it.

Maybe we will find an exit if you actually post all the specifications and recommendations that you say exist for Sprinter idling, DPF, EGR, etc care. As of right now, there is just about as much absolute information that there is not a potential issue as there is that is a problem, IMO. And in both cases it isn't much information.

Interesting that you refer to years worth of circling, when you just joined. You also have a very familiar writing style, statement pattern, and broad statements with no backup. Could it be you have been here in a previous life?

I just joined, but have read many old posts.

Interesting that you feel threatened LOL

It is ok to seek the truth, we all do.
but it seems your purpose is to be in a circular function.
Old 06-07-2016, 03:35 PM   #70
Platinum Member

Nope, not threatened at all. Just prefer some data with opinions, or insults.

Just what is a "circular function" and what purpose would it have?

All problem solving or decision making will go down some "rat holes" and then go back and pick up on another path. It can happen many times and usually gives very good results.

What is way, way, worse is to pick a solution and then try to justify it by anecdotal information or just plain not admit it is just an opinion and not on data.

There just plain is not information to say Sprinters will, or will not, likely, plug up a DPF early in a class b the runs the engine with an engine generator on a regular basis.

You may disagree, but call it an opinion and accept that others may have another opinion, based on the same incomplete information.
Old 06-07-2016, 03:55 PM   #71
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Nope, not threatened at all. Just prefer some data with opinions, or insults.

Just what is a "circular function" and what purpose would it have?

All problem solving or decision making will go down some "rat holes" and then go back and pick up on another path. It can happen many times and usually gives very good results.

What is way, way, worse is to pick a solution and then try to justify it by anecdotal information or just plain not admit it is just an opinion and not on data.

There just plain is not information to say Sprinters will, or will not, likely, plug up a DPF early in a class b the runs the engine with an engine generator on a regular basis.

You may disagree, but call it an opinion and accept that others may have another opinion, based on the same incomplete information.

From my perch, you seem to have many anecdotal worries that are unsubstantiated, or ever reported.

Magnifying a shadow will scare many people. But it is still a shadow.

Same coin, looked from different side.
Old 06-07-2016, 04:00 PM   #72
Platinum Member

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/fatal...-tom-robertson

Not confirmed fact, but definitely reported. Very detailed information.

Now, how about those detailed MB specs you were going to give us.
Old 06-07-2016, 04:33 PM   #73
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/fatal...-tom-robertson

Not confirmed fact, but definitely reported. Very detailed information.

Now, how about those detailed MB specs you were going to give us.
How did he use his vans? short distances? did he do a xx mile of highway speed after 500 miles? what kind of fuel he used? who was maintaining his vans? some houses use resident mechanics. is he trained and qualified?

Not trying to say he is lying or misrepresenting or denying he had a problem. You are using his anecdote to justify your worry shadow. That is ok. Just understand that you are not comparing apples to apples. I thought you are talking about underhood generator and idling. or do you want to expand to DPF in general? There are hundreds of youtube video on GM and Ford DPF problem as well. Not trying to justify one fault with the others'. Just trying to grab a hold of the moving shadow.
Old 06-07-2016, 04:37 PM   #74
Platinum Member

Detailed MB specs?
Old 06-07-2016, 04:52 PM   #75
Platinum Member

Quote:
How did he use his vans? short distances? did he do a xx mile of highway speed after 500 miles? what kind of fuel he used? who was maintaining his vans? some houses use resident mechanics. is he trained and qualified?

Not trying to say he is lying or misrepresenting or denying he had a problem. You are using his anecdote to justify your worry shadow. That is ok. Just understand that you are not comparing apples to apples. I thought you are talking about underhood generator and idling. or do you want to expand to DPF in general? There are hundreds of youtube video on GM and Ford DPF problem as well. Not trying to justify one fault with the others'. Just trying to grab a hold of the moving shadow.
He still owned 47 vans over 7 years and was running a trucking business with them every day... would love to see the MB specs that say its perfectly great to run a van at idle or fast idle... don't they already mention short trips are bad? Wouldn't sitting still qualify as a very short trip?

I would like to hear real world experience from RV owners but it may be too soon to tell. The flip side... maybe I don't really care and should buy an RV that works in the moment and sell it after a couple of years (3-5). My planned use would be weekends over maybe 6 months of the year, so I doubt I would get 10 years and 100K+ miles out of it anyway. Also, I live in New England so I am not going to be in very remote places so if there is an issue a tow is possible. I might think differently if I were retiring and traveling full time through the US and Europe but right now no.
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 05:14 PM   #76
Platinum Member

The question is whether or not the potential problems (noted in owner manuals) are a reason to either limit idling or not idle at all for camping power.

I think the opinion of several forum members here is to limit idling and get out on a highway after idling. That's my opinion anyway. I think you need to size your battery appropriate to your needs so that you need to idle less.

It might help if we're clear on what our opinions are. I think we'll find subtle but not major differences of opinion on this topic.
Old 06-07-2016, 06:36 PM   #77
Platinum Member

I now have vast experience with Sprinters. In fact I am looking at 41,500 miles in 16 months with dual alternator but it seems anything I say gets rebutted by the armchair experts here. For now I will just read with amusement with this one little bit of advice. Don't buy a Sprinter with a Nations dual alternator without high idle and forced air cooling when idling.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 07:11 PM   #78
Bronze Member

41.5k. That's impressive. There's a lot of good information floating around in this thread. As far as rebuttals, if there are 2 or more people in the thread, there will be disagreements.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:19 PM   #79
Platinum Member

Davydd - do you idle the engine to charge the batteries or do you idle the engine to run the air conditioner? In the past you've indicated that you do neither.

I think you have also recommended the if you idle then you should drive the unit as a good practice.

Info like that is useful to others considering using an alternator for coach power.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:33 PM   #80
Platinum Member

davydd's van would be the last one you would expect to have trouble from idling. He drives nearly every day, or two, doesn't run the AC off of the batteries or engine, or have any other reason to have to idle the van for more than a few minutes at a time.

Someone in the heat, using AC off the batteries so the engine has to run maybe 40-50% of the time, if they stay more than a few hours, is the one who is going to have an issue if idling is an issue, not davydd.