Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2017, 11:25 PM   #321
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
i would think that if you did this and something happened you are talking about voiding your warranty
http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f4...html#post60306
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:27 PM   #322
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
Booster-you twisted that around on me unfairly. Of course it's important to charge with no plug in to go to.So if Richard voids his warranty to extend a boonie trip is it worth it in the long run. You have been commenting on Roadtrek for as long as i can remember. You know they would look for ways to void his warranty if he did this and something went wrong.
No twisting at all, that is why I stated that SAFE way to do it would be to have a Roadtrek dealer do it, or Nations. They would certainly contact the corporate fortress to get it approved, and it would be very hard for them to say no, if Nations and Balmar were OK with it.

Besides that, as Avanti often points out they can't void a warranty for stuff like this as it isn't legal to do.

I would think that it would even be smart for Roadtrek to provide one in the tool bag or as an option, as they are cheap and could save some big time service costs for them for folks on the road. Plug in and you know if the original Balmar is bad, and you get to keep charging--win-win to me. Nearly any corner auto shop could do that easily.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:51 PM   #323
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
The regulator they pulled from your coach is a Balmar ARS-5?
I have no idea, but it looks similar to that. Just wondering if the LCD display looks like that with bright red colors on others.
WingedRyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 01:11 AM   #324
BBQ
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=Bud;60364]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedRyno View Post
Dealership called and said they won't bring in a tech tomorrow, so hotel until Monday. This trip to pick up the rig is starting to rack up significantly between hotel, airfare and uber costs.

Wasn't that kind of expected WingedRyno?

From all that I've experienced on B forums, that is kind of par for course with an etrek if you travel to go pick one up.

Wishing you be the best come Monday.

Bud
+1

It might sound like an ordeal,
but the old timers on the forum have seen it all before.
None of these hiccups are surprises to us.
Old 07-29-2017, 01:21 AM   #325
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=BBQ;60400]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post

+1

It might sound like an ordeal,
but the old timers on the forum have seen it all before.
None of these hiccups are surprises to us.
+ 2 Unfortunately, it has been an often repeated pattern with the newer Roadtrek technology.

The good is that he is still at the dealer and not accepted delivery, so he has a lot more leverage, I think. Hopefully, they will get it all worked out quickly.
Old 07-29-2017, 01:42 AM   #326
Platinum Member

Quote:
Is the solar controller hard wired to the batteries independently of the main disconnect switch?
Are you referring to the battery disconnect that is controlled by a switch on the wall? It doesn't effect charging from any of the charge sources.

The solar controller is wired directly in parallel to the charge terminals on all the ecotrek modules. An ecotrek module does need to be online to close the internal relays that connect the charge and load terminals to the battery cells. An ecotrek that is offline cannot get charged from any of the chargers.
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 03:28 AM   #327
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
Are you referring to the battery disconnect that is controlled by a switch on the wall? It doesn't effect charging from any of the charge sources.
You're saying that with the lithiums turned on you can shut off the main disconnect switch on the control panel and still charge the lithiums via the alternator shoreside charger or solar controllerr?
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 07:54 AM   #328
Platinum Member

A new metric: [number of posts] / [new RV delivery debugging]. 128 posts and still going to get it to work as it supposed to seems high. I am sure that it will work at the end point. Your patience is commendable, wishing you fast recovery after this event and full enjoyment camping.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 10:33 AM   #329
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post

The solar controller is wired directly in parallel to the charge terminals on all the ecotrek modules. An ecotrek module does need to be online to close the internal relays that connect the charge and load terminals to the battery cells. An ecotrek that is offline cannot get charged from any of the chargers.
The other night with all 8 modules offline and shore power connected over night, one of the modules came online. Not sure if that is because it was getting a charge somehow or because the ambient temperature dropped overnight and the BMS thought it was then okay to bring the one module back online. I'm guessing the latter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
A new metric: [number of posts] / [new RV delivery debugging]. 128 posts and still going to get it to work as it supposed to seems high.
The vast majority of posts here were before I got the RT to mess with, when I was just doing research about them. I'm pretty happy with the unit so far although it's annoying the Balmar doesn't work and thus I can't test out the GU. But the ecotreks do a great job of powering everything from what I can tell.

I still haven't tested the Alde floor heating, but it heats water nicely.
Old 07-29-2017, 11:12 AM   #330
BBQ
Platinum Member

I would have hired Dan Neeley to do the pre-acceptance for me.
You could have cut your hotel bills in half and have a private tutor for free.

Hindsights.
Old 07-29-2017, 02:19 PM   #331
Platinum Member

Quote:

Oh well. Hurry up and wait... Perhaps soon it will get fixed and then I'll give them the cash and drive it off the lot.
It was very astute of you to test before paying. It remains their problem to get it satisfactorily repaired quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

I would have hired Dan Neeley to do the pre-acceptance for me.
You could have cut your hotel bills in half and have a private tutor for free.

Hindsights.
Great idea. Dan Neeley knows how to fix them also so he may yet be called in.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 05:52 PM   #332
Platinum Member

Quote:
You're saying that with the lithiums turned on you can shut off the main disconnect switch on the control panel and still charge the lithiums via the alternator shoreside charger or solar controllerr?
Yes, all chargers are connected on the battery side of the disconnect relay...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 07:31 PM   #333
Platinum Member

They most certainly can void warranty if you tamper with things. Even if you could prevail in court, they can stonewall you until you give up or are bankrupted.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 08:30 PM   #334
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
They most certainly can void warranty if you tamper with things.
No, they can't. Google "Magnuson Moss".

Quote:
Even if you could prevail in court, they can stonewall you until you give up or are bankrupted.
No, they can't. In anticipation of this problem, MM allows attorney fees to be included in the judgement. This means that there is an army of spec lawyers who will represent you without cost or risk if you have any kind of a case. In this regard, it is similar to most lemon laws (but better, since this is a federal statute).

In practice, they will attempt to bully and stonewall you right up until they get a letter from a lawyer. Then they will typically settle. MM is one of the most consumer-friendly laws in existence. It works very well.

Respectfully, all this information is readily available on the Internet. Please do your homework before repeatedly posting incorrect claims.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:35 PM   #335
Platinum Member

I'm familiar with it. It covers aftermarket mods.

You can't tinker with software settings and other non-maintenance service items.

GM just went thru with this on people monkeying with their corvettes. They got tired of paying for blown engines. So if tampering is detected, they blacklist you in their dealer system.

They can stonewall you all they like. Winning a case is really expensive and they know it.

If they tell you they'll void you if you change the BMS software, they mean it. You really think you are going to sue over a $5,000 part? Who's going to take that case unless they get paid by the hour. My lawyer is around $500 an hour for office, double that for court.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 08:42 PM   #336
Platinum Member

Who said anything about changing BMS software. I had mentioned carrying and emergency voltage regulator and getting approved by Roadtrek and Nations, which can't see reasonably being a modification of design if they approved it. Besides, they wouldn't know it was used anyway, as it changes nothing in the wiring or function except going to fixed voltage.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:55 PM   #337
Platinum Member

Gosh! Wingedryno has taken official delivery yet and we are talking about warranties and correcting things afterwards.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 09:04 PM   #338
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
I'm familiar with it.
Evidently not.

Quote:
It covers aftermarket mods.
It covers any attempt to void a manufacturer's warranty due to post-sale modifications or the use of aftermarket parts. It is extremely broad.

Quote:
You can't tinker with software settings and other non-maintenance service items.
Incorrect. You can't modify firmware related to emissions, but that is because it is illegal under the Clean Air Act. It has nothing to do with your warranty.

It is also true that there are limits on other firmware modifications if they involve encryption under the DMCA(although this is in dispute). But, again, that is a separate law. It has nothing to do with your warranty. YOUR WARRANTY CANNOT BE "VOIDED" DUE TO AFTERMARKET MODIFICATIONS.

Quote:
GM just went thru with this on people monkeying with their corvettes. They got tired of paying for blown engines. So if tampering is detected, they blacklist you in their dealer system.

They can stonewall you all they like. Winning a case is really expensive and they know it.

If they tell you they'll void you if you change the BMS software, they mean it. You really think you are going to sue over a $5,000 part? Who's going to take that case unless they get paid by the hour. My lawyer is around $500 an hour for office, double that for court.
Did you even read what I wrote about spec lawyers? They DO get paid by the hour. It is just that those hours are collected from the OEM (assuming that they lose, which they will if your mod didn't cause the fault). As I said already, in practice, the OEM will generally settle just as soon as you make it clear that you and your lawyer are serious, precisely BECAUSE they know how expensive it is. Do you really think that this hasn't been thought through?

Your Corvette friends are irrelevant, since (by your admission) they are blowing up their engines. Damage that you cause is not covered by your warranty.

There is a whole industry of lawyers who make their money taking these cases. As I said, the system works very well.

I repeat: Please do not spread blatant misinformation when the truth is readily available to anyone taking the time to look it up.
Old 07-31-2017, 06:44 AM   #339
Platinum Member

Quote:
I have no idea, but it looks similar to that. Just wondering if the LCD display looks like that with bright red colors on others.
I don't think that's the reguator in your coach. It should be an MC-614 which has a similar red LED display. The ARS 5 doesn't have a complete setup mode for lithiums accprding to the Balmar tech I spoke with on Friday.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 09:58 AM   #340
Platinum Member

Quote:
I don't think that's the reguator in your coach. It should be an MC-614 which has a similar red LED display. The ARS 5 doesn't have a complete setup mode for lithiums accprding to the Balmar tech I spoke with on Friday.
Thanks! That red LCD display would be hard to miss when it's working properly. Looks pretty bright.