Old 07-27-2017, 03:00 PM   #221
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedRyno View Post
Last night before I left I did do what he said with the 5 second reset button press for each battery. This morning when I came back, one of them was online and that allowed me to get shore power to the rest after I reset it and the inverter kicked on.

Taking care of paperwork stuff around town but will head back to the unit to "learn" some more
Once you reset a battery bank you then have to charge it. That takes time as said. Once you reset if you did not charge it enough, the parasitic draw will take it back down to the 20% threshold and you will have to start over with reset and charge again. It is the BMS. At 20% your lithium batteries are not discharged.

2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 03:09 PM   #222
BBQ
Platinum Member

Don't charge all the banks at once.

Charge one at a time.

Old 07-27-2017, 03:11 PM   #223
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
In one of the home build lithium threads here, we did get a look at that, and I think the net conclusion was that stopping the charging at about 13.8v or so was probably a good spot, as they would be nearly full but wouldn't be at 100% or held at full charge voltage which is not good. The AGM profiles will be at about 13.5v, so will be lower SOC. The knee in the curve is very steep, so not a lot of change in SOC once you get past that 13.5v, IIRC. There will be no change in charging speed, as the charger is maxed out anyway, with the voltage still in the climbing toward absoption stage of 14.4v. If it bumps to float earlier, it will just sit there at the lower voltage, which I don't think we have ever seen an answer to if that is bad, or if the charger(s) should be shut off.

That explains why so many users report they could never get their ecotreks fully charged.
Old 07-27-2017, 03:26 PM   #224
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post
That explains why so many users report they could never get their ecotreks fully charged.
I think a lot of it will also depend on how far down the batteries are, and how long the absorption and total charge cycle times are set. If it stays in absorption to 14.4v, they will get nearly 100%, but if it bumps to float at 13.5v they will lower. Again, we just don't really know how they do it, but the parts the use would certainly indicate there are a lot of compromises in the system that make it less than optimum in operation or battery control.

A multistage charger is really not the right one for lithium, from what we see now from the battery folks, as they would prefer a full shutoff charger at the SOC you desire, but less than totally full and not with a float charge. Although we haven't seen any real data on the full shutoff penalty if not there.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 03:44 PM   #225
Platinum Member

Absorption?!

Lithiums should bulk charge only. No absorption phase, and no floating.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 03:45 PM   #226
Platinum Member

We are talking about Lithium Ion here aren't we? There is no absorption and they can be fully charged easily.

Hammill asked where the 20% SOC number came from? What is the cut off? I thought Roadtrek originally said 10%.

Why are you staying in hotel or even running all your batteries down at once? You ought to be experiencing your Roadtrek.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 03:50 PM   #227
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
Absorption?!

Lithiums should bulk charge only. No absorption phase, and no floating.
Yep, that is the point exactly, so why use an AGM multistage profile in the charging systems?
Old 07-27-2017, 03:57 PM   #228
Platinum Member

Well, how do we know that is what they are doing? Why would you try to charge with shore power anyways? Why not get it out on the highway and fast bulk charge with the GU?
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 03:59 PM   #229
Platinum Member

Per Greg earlier

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
From everything I have seen, it appears that the charge profiles of all the chargers are set to an AGM tailored charge profile which will get max life out of the AGM with some potential penalty with getting the Ecotrek batteries all the way to full charge. How full do the Ecotreks get? No accurate info available to tell that presently but for most users I suspect getting close to full will be acceptable in terms of their use of the system.
Old 07-27-2017, 04:00 PM   #230
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
Well, how do we know that is what they are doing? Why would you try to charge with shore power anyways? Why not get it out on the highway and fast bulk charge with the GU?
I think I would turn that around also to "why would you go drive all day when you can just plug in overnight". All depends on the situation.