Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2017, 02:22 AM   #621
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedRyno View Post
Actually I tested it out today. Works like a charm! Thank God for simple maintenance issues.
Well, the next question is how it got disonnected or for that matter, if it was ever connected to begin with. . Does that blue wire termination plug snap in and require pressing on some tabs to release?
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 08:37 PM   #622
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
Well, the next question is how it got disonnected or for that matter, if it was ever connected to begin with. . Does that blue wire termination plug snap in and require pressing on some tabs to release?
It was plugged in because when I drove it off the lot the GU worked. Maybe it wasn't plugged in until it snapped into place, I don't know. But it does snap into place and so I assume you have to press tabs to release it.

I've still got to test it out though. I know it's supply charge because I can see the voltage readout increase when I start the engine in idle but I need to do a thorough test of it charging a battery while driving, times, etc.
WingedRyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 09:55 PM   #623
Platinum Member

Quote:
It was plugged in because when I drove it off the lot the GU worked. Maybe it wasn't plugged in until it snapped into place, I don't know. But it does snap into place and so I assume you have to press tabs to release it.

I've still got to test it out though. I know it's supply charge because I can see the voltage readout increase when I start the engine in idle but I need to do a thorough test of it charging a battery while driving, times, etc.
Are you using the original harness or did Nations provide new harnesses with their replacements?

Re your test, remember that unlike a single stage regulator, you are going to see varying voltages as the Balmar goes from bulk charging to absorption to float, although with a 1600 ah warp core you may never see a float charge condition unless you've driven quite a distance.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 10:17 PM   #624
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
Are you using the original harness or did Nations provide new harnesses with their replacements?

Re your test, remember that unlike a single stage regulator, you are going to see varying voltages as the Balmar goes from bulk charging to absorption to float, although with a 1600 ah warp core you may never see a float charge condition unless you've driven quite a distance.
Same harness as before I'm pretty sure. It was just the balmar itself that got replaced.

Yeah, the balmar with it's float. I wish they had a setting for lithium since lithium doesn't need float. Just makes it less efficient charging lithium.
Old 08-30-2017, 10:36 PM   #625
Site Team

Quote:
Yeah, the balmar with it's float. I wish they had a setting for lithium since lithium doesn't need float. Just makes it less efficient charging lithium.
I'm pretty sure that you can tweak the parameters to match Lithium. Mine came with a tag from Nation's that said it was set up for Li. I reprogrammed it for AGM. I would give Nation's yet another call.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 04:40 AM   #626
Platinum Member

Quote:
Same harness as before I'm pretty sure. It was just the balmar itself that got replaced.

On the other hand, you may reduce the life of the auxiliary AGM battery if you remove the float from the Balmar and set it for lithium and use the underhood generator a lot...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 10:22 PM   #627
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
On the other hand, you may reduce the life of the auxiliary AGM battery if you remove the float from the Balmar and set it for lithium and use the underhood generator a lot...
That is fascinating. If that is a consideration, I wonder why it's not mentioned in any RT information? I'd personally rather replace that single AGM and have all the juice charging my lithium.

I ran a test and I'd be particularly interested in your take on it based on conversations we've had in the past. In one hour, my GU at mostly 65 mph speeds with the inverter off and the only loads being a single LED light and the fridge/freezer, and with only one EcoTrek turned on... charged that single battery from 19.5 to 13.3. In an hour. Something seems not right.

Full info on the test here: https://convotrek.blogspot.com/2017/...trek-from.html
Old 09-04-2017, 10:34 PM   #628
Platinum Member

Quote:
That is fascinating. If that is a consideration, I wonder why it's not mentioned in any RT information? I'd personally rather replace that single AGM and have all the juice charging my lithium.

I ran a test and I'd be particularly interested in your take on it based on conversations we've had in the past. In one hour, my GU at mostly 65 mph speeds with the inverter off and the only loads being a single LED light and the fridge/freezer, and with only one EcoTrek turned on... charged that single battery from 19.5 to 13.3. In an hour. Something seems not right.

Full info on the test here: https://convotrek.blogspot.com/2017/...trek-from.html

the single agm is there to guarantee power to the control panel. If ecotreks shut down-for whatever reason then there is no way to get power to control panels. the original ecotreks systems did not have this agm and systems could not be restarted. the agm is in response to this issue. believe me you do not want to get rid of this agm
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 02:18 PM   #629
BBQ
Platinum Member

He has just posted very positive comments about his update/upgrade at the factory.

https://convotrek.blogspot.ca/2018/0...k-factory.html

Old 05-17-2018, 02:28 PM   #630
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

He has just posted very positive comments about his update/upgrade at the factory.

https://convotrek.blogspot.ca/2018/0...k-factory.html

It will be interesting to see how it goes for them into the future.

One thing that stands out is near the end of the article where they talk about needing to guess how many modules to leave on overnight to assure enough power without wasting too much (due to parasitic I assume). Users needing to do such guessing is just plain not "state of the art" or even "state of the back yard designer", it is more of a complete miss for a many thousands of dollars system.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 03:02 PM   #631
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
It will be interesting to see how it goes for them into the future.

One thing that stands out is near the end of the article where they talk about needing to guess how many modules to leave on overnight to assure enough power without wasting too much (due to parasitic I assume). Users needing to do such guessing is just plain not "state of the art" or even "state of the back yard designer", it is more of a complete miss for a many thousands of dollars system.
Agreed about that being lacking in their system. Hopefully they improve that.

In the meantime we're creating a system that will automate it all passively so there aren't any potential warranty issues. It will monitor everything it can monitor, the data will be fed through AI algorithms, and our system will get a good handle (we think) on the SOC of the batteries and will flip them on and off so that any parasitic drag from batteries being on is avoided. I mentioned my plan to do this before we bought the van and it's coming along nicely. A camera watches the voltmeter and other displays 24/7 and converts the image into digital and logs everything. Soon it will make decisions and manage things.

I am learning this stuff as part of a bigger project making a greenhouse, so I'm pretty excited to have this opportunity. It's really not needed with 8 lithium batteries though. We have plenty of power and we are loving living in the van full time. Loving it
Old 05-19-2018, 11:07 PM   #632
Platinum Member

The results of our first GU test today seem to show that charging 4-6 EcoTreks with the GU at a time is better than charging one at a time. Lots more testing is needed though for us to get a better grasp though.

https://convotrek.blogspot.ca/2018/0...or-gu-new.html

Old 05-20-2018, 11:23 PM   #633
Platinum Member

Further testing of GU charging a single EcoTrek. Tomorrow we're going to charge 7 EcoTreks at once on the GU from nearly empty to full and time it.

https://convotrek.blogspot.ca/2018/0...k-to-full.html

Old 05-21-2018, 04:11 AM   #634
BBQ
Platinum Member

THanks for the update.
It is always good to hear positive signs of progress.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:51 AM   #635
Platinum Member

Thanks. Took some effort but we managed to run down 7 EcoTreks over the past 14 hours so we're about to drive for 7 or 8 hours seeing how charging 7 at a time does. Should have that data up later today and hopefully it will provide some insight.
Old 05-21-2018, 12:32 PM   #636
Platinum Member

I would actually be a bit surprised if 7 charged faster than few, as the limiting factor would seem to be the alternator output and heat cycling of it. Perhaps one module would not be able to accept all the output, but two our more should be able to for sure, and even one should if they don't limit it somehow. Perhaps they thermally shut down the batteries sometimes.

The variations you are seeing may be as much or more from temperature variations that the EG sees as from the batteries. Ours is a Chevy, but we put thermocouples on the alternators so we can see the temps from the cockpit, and it is very interesting how much they can vary at the same outputs. Cooler weather, wind direction, truck traffic blocking air, climbing hills so engine and radiator hotter all can be seen very easily. We don't have thermal control from the Ample Power regulator like the Balmar does, so ours do not heat cycle up and down on output, but we do have them turned down so the output won't overheat them.

Avanti had posted a printout of his EG setup output charging 440ah of AGM batteries and the thermal cycling was very evident, and the average output was substantially lower than the rated of the EG.
Old 05-22-2018, 02:15 AM   #637
Platinum Member

Our results from charging 7 EcoTreks at one time using the GU from "empty" to "full" shows that one hour to charge a single EcoTrek up is a good rule of thumb IF you charge more than one at a time. We don't understand much at all about how this stuff works but we understand we have plenty of power to live off plugs with minimal driving to charge the lithium back up! Our data is here and thanks in advance for any education on the mysteries behind these numbers.

https://convotrek.blogspot.ca/2018/0...est-today.html

Old 05-22-2018, 02:50 AM   #638
Platinum Member

I think that result is just about what I would expect out of the EG system on all at the same time.

The EG is going to net about 165 amps average, when heat cycling so that would give about 1320ah in 8 hours, which is just about what you will need to charge 7 modules (a bit under 190ah per module). It will probably be a bit under the 1320ah, though because it will taper a bit at the end, but not a lot.

Charging fewer modules may go a lot quicker, depending on how much current they will accept, as with all being charged the EG is totally maxed out for almost the entire time.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:07 PM   #639
Platinum Member

Your interpretation of the data appears to be wrong. It looks to me that you've mistakenly exaggerated the collective hourly results by a multiple of 7. The Volt Increase at 1 Hour s/b 0.35V, 2 Hour s/b 0.5V, etc. Over the entire day, you raised the voltage 1.06 volts.

The apparently tremendous loss of capacity while the modules were off during your restaurant lunch break needs to be investigated and explained. Perhaps you shut off solar charging at that time.

The sudden rise in voltage at the end of the day also needs to be investigated and explained. Was a load turned off?
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 04:47 PM   #640

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
Your interpretation of the data appears to be wrong. It looks to me that you've mistakenly exaggerated the collective hourly results by a multiple of 7. The Volt Increase at 1 Hour s/b 0.35V, 2 Hour s/b 0.5V, etc. Over the entire day, you raised the voltage 1.06 volts.

The apparently tremendous loss of capacity while the modules were off during your restaurant lunch break needs to be investigated and explained. Perhaps you shut off solar charging at that time.

The sudden rise in voltage at the end of the day also needs to be investigated and explained. Was a load turned off?
It appears that the OP just posted what he observed. What do you base your post on? Did you make your own observations? If not present during the OP’s test; why would you feel free to use hyperbole to to denigrate his post? Do you have a crystal ball?

Keep it real; be polite.
XLent is offline   Reply With Quote