Old 05-16-2017, 02:54 PM   #31
Platinum Member

If you're considering a composting toilet, you might be better off doing a van conversion instead. This FitRV post on their composting toilet can help you decide if that's the right solution for you.

Check out this beautiful and well documented Sprinter conversion. They have a electrical system like I described (+ a ton of solar) and they recently added a composting toilet recently.

B Eventually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 03:03 PM   #32
Platinum Member

Default toilet

it amazes me the number of class b'ers who want a composting toilet.

the size of a class b makes it impractical to me.

the black tank in a b-the largest i've seen is ARV 18gallons-are holding tanks. Most have to be emptied way before the brekadown process gets anywhere close to starting

these are not 50 gallon black tanks.

gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 04:20 PM   #33
Platinum Member

I read this thread and did not see listed needs for your electrical energy requirements, a balance sheet. With your plans of full time living in an RV I would suggest to consider the following points:

1. Think thoroughly about your energy requirements, what is trendy perhaps would not be needed in your situation. LPG stoves have been used for years, they work, induction stoves are inexpensive but needed infrastructures are not.

2. What if your electrical system fails and the closer shop is an average RV repair facility, will they be able to fix something that are not familiar with? unless you have skills to repair you could be wishing to have a main stream RV.

3. If cost is in your decision process, evaluate the need for a B-class RV, they tend to be more expensive than small C-class RVs. I recently went to the Camping World to see the Hymer Sunlight V1 B-class, to say at least I was not impressed, actually I was disappointed to see Hymer name on the van, the fit and finish highlighted by a cardboard ceiling will hunt them through their entry to NA. Right next to it was a Winnebago Minnie Winnie, practically the same price but an absolutely different league, in my view far better suited for full time living, larger tanks, RV standard technologies fixable in most RV shops.

4. How often will you be connected to shore power, if you plan to work while on the road a good access to utilities will likely be needed.

If I would be making a decision like yours I would seriously consider an option of a small C-class RV with a small car, and more importantly stay with technologies and appliances fixable in average RV shops.

Good luck,

George.
GeorgeRa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 06:00 PM   #34
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
it amazes me the number of class b'ers who want a composting toilet.

the size of a class b makes it impractical to me.
Thanks for this point. We definitely have to do our research to make sure it is practical, and the amount of space is one thing we had wondered about. So we will definitely look into this!
WingedRyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 06:58 PM   #35
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedRyno View Post
Greetings all, and thanks for this forum and the wealth of information it supplies. The wife and I have no RV experience but we are intent on purchasing an RV for near full time use and running an online business out of it while traveling.

We are strongly considering pulling the trigger on an RS Adventurous XL with Warp Core if we can find one used or perhaps new for the right price.
The chance of finding a preowned Roadtrek with the warp core option is slim but there is one available at Advanced Research Vehicles. It's a CS model which I think ist he best Sprinter layout that Roadtrek builds. This coach is a fully loaded 4 x 4 XL version with 1600 ah lithiums, 600 watt solar, Voltstart, drop down rear cabinet, Alde heating. If you want the improved VB suspension, they can provide it. ARV's reputation is unparalleled and any representation they make you can take to the bank. The person to contact is Janice Spicuzza at ARV, 440-283-0405.

https://advanced-rv.com/pre-owned-class-b-rv-for-sale/
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 09:13 PM   #36
Platinum Member

You couldn't pay me $139,000 firm to own that.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:41 PM   #37
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1514 View Post
You couldn't pay me $139,000 firm to own that.
I see an opinion. What is your point?
Old 05-16-2017, 10:02 PM   #38
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
The chance of finding a preowned Roadtrek with the warp core option is slim but there is one available at Advanced Research Vehicles. It's a CS model which I think ist he best Sprinter layout that Roadtrek builds. This coach is a fully loaded 4 x 4 XL version with 1600 ah lithiums, 600 watt solar, Voltstart, drop down rear cabinet, Alde heating. If you want the improved VB suspension, they can provide it. ARV's reputation is unparalleled and any representation they make you can take to the bank. The person to contact is Janice Spicuzza at ARV, 440-283-0405.

https://advanced-rv.com/pre-owned-class-b-rv-for-sale/

IIRC

There was a 2015 on the market a few months ago.
It was one of the earlier built.
BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 10:07 PM   #39
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
I see an opinion. What is your point?
I've read enough about Roadtrek and their lithiums and voltstart to figure that coach is probably being traded in for one that actually works.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:35 PM   #40
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1514 View Post
I've read enough about Roadtrek and their lithiums and voltstart to figure that coach is probably being traded in for one that actually works.
I own a lithium and Voltstart Roadtrek that functions flawlessly so forgive me for being singularly unimpressed by salvos from drive by critics whose conclusions are drawn from anecdotes.