Old 08-01-2017, 12:53 PM   #391
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedRyno View Post
I'm still trying to understand how it is that despite all batteries being offline after the BMS shut them each down around 20% SOC or so, one came back online overnight on shore power with the inverter switch on but the inverter actually off and 7 of the batteries switch on (but offline with no blue lights).

I'm guessing it's very unlikely the inverter was converting AC to DC without showing on. So it seems most likely that the BMS simply recalculated as the ambient temps dropped over night and one battery (only one of 7 as the 8th was off) popped back online.
It is hard to speculate on the operation of the BMS with no details provided by RT on the actual logic they have implemented in the BMS controller. In theory, the BMS could simply open the load terminal relay when discharge reaches 20% SOC and continue operating with the charge terminal connected. At some later point due to charging from the charge point or temperature changes or whatever, the BMS determines that the SOC is high enough above 20% to reconnect the loads. Even with the GU not operating, the solar controller is connected to the charge terminal along with the AGM and there is some level of charge available on the charge terminal. If the BMS disconnects both the load and charge terminals at 20% and continues operating monitoring the SOC, I guess temperature change would be the only thing that could increase the SOC of the cells. With both relays open, the power drain from the BMS could be very low but eventually it would need to shut down completely to prevent cell damage due to over discharge.

Is the RT control logic doing all this? Only RT seems to know...

gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 01:05 PM   #392
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
If all Ecotrek batteries are offline and you are plugged into shore power the 12v output is unregulated and reported to be very unstable when connected to the coach through the battery relay.
Can you expand upon this. Are you saying that shore power with all batteries offline equates to 12v output? How does it get converted to 12v? Does the inverter accept the AC power and still work to supply 12V output despite batteries all being offline?

WingedRyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 01:07 PM   #393
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
It is hard to speculate on the operation of the BMS with no details provided by RT on the actual logic they have implemented in the BMS controller. In theory, the BMS could simply open the load terminal relay when discharge reaches 20% SOC and continue operating with the charge terminal connected. At some later point due to charging from the charge point or temperature changes or whatever, the BMS determines that the SOC is high enough above 20% to reconnect the loads. Even with the GU not operating, the solar controller is connected to the charge terminal along with the AGM and there is some level of charge available on the charge terminal. If the BMS disconnects both the load and charge terminals at 20% and continues operating monitoring the SOC, I guess temperature change would be the only thing that could increase the SOC of the cells. With both relays open, the power drain from the BMS could be very low but eventually it would need to shut down completely to prevent cell damage due to over discharge.

Is the RT control logic doing all this? Only RT seems to know...
I didn't even think about the obvious...solar was still charging the batteries. Even though it was early morning and the sun was low, perhaps that plus temp was enough to bring one back online?

Mysteries....
Old 08-01-2017, 01:16 PM   #394
Platinum Member

Quote:
I didn't even think about the obvious...solar was still charging the batteries. Even though it was early morning and the sun was low, perhaps that plus temp was enough to bring one back online?

Mysteries....
As i recall on the other site-we warned you about this-the mysteries of the roadtrek ecotrek system is that no matter how many they make the same issues keep popping up -ON SOME VANS. there is no consistancy-some work perfectly and some are consistent bummers. the mystery is in the stars
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 01:19 PM   #395
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
As i recall on the other site-we warned you about this-the mysteries of the roadtrek ecotrek system is that no matter how many they make the same issues keep popping up -ON SOME VANS. there is no consistancy-some work perfectly and some are consistent bummers. the mystery is in the stars
This van seems to work well minus the Balmar/GU (which I'm sure can be fixed) and perhaps the air conditioner (jury is still out on its performance).

While I admit I haven't yet tested out Alde floor heating or the dumping of the tanks or driving of the vehicle, this van seems to be well within reach of making us happy campers. I just hope that happens sooner rather than later as my credit card is exploding with hotel costs...
Old 08-01-2017, 01:24 PM   #396
Platinum Member

Quote:
Can you expand upon this. Are you saying that shore power with all batteries offline equates to 12v output? How does it get converted to 12v? Does the inverter accept the AC power and still work to supply 12V output despite batteries all being offline?
Whenever you are connected to shore power and turn the inverter on, the battery charger in the inverter is attempting to charge the batteries. Without any batteries online the 12v charger output can still be connected to the coach through the main battery switch but with no reference voltage available from any batteries the 12v is very unstable based on reports from many owners. This instability is common for battery chargers when no battery is connected and is probably not a good source of power.
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 02:34 PM   #397
Platinum Member

Quote:
FWIW, they said "mine" is the first EcoTrek they have seen. I haven't heard of Dale, but they did say the owner's name was Scott I think.
Mumkin had an Ecotrek from there, I am nearly certain. She had tons of problems, so they would certainly know about it.

I did some looking, and one place I found said Dale bought Monticello RV Center last year. The owner there apparently was Scott Kunz, who I think is the guy I met just looking at pix. He is now listed as an "operating partner" at Lake Regions and Monticello RV, what ever that title means.

AFAIK, the sale has been done pretty quietly. I know I didn't hear about it.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 02:42 PM   #398
Platinum Member

Quote:
This van seems to work well minus the Balmar/GU (which I'm sure can be fixed) and perhaps the air conditioner (jury is still out on its performance).

While I admit I haven't yet tested out Alde floor heating or the dumping of the tanks or driving of the vehicle, this van seems to be well within reach of making us happy campers. I just hope that happens sooner rather than later as my credit card is exploding with hotel costs...

tell them you won't close unless they pay your hotel bills-however if your not satisfied-buy a plane ticket home and go.
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 02:44 PM   #399
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Mumkin had an Ecotrek from there, I am nearly certain. She had tons of problems, so they would certainly know about it.

I did some looking, and one place I found said Dale bought Monticello RV Center last year. The owner there apparently was Scott Kunz, who I think is the guy I met just looking at pix. He is now listed as an "operating partner" at Lake Regions and Monticello RV, what ever that title means.

AFAIK, the sale has been done pretty quietly. I know I didn't hear about it.

"An operating partner is a term used by venture capital (VC) and private equity (PE) firms to describe a role dedicated to working with privately held companies to increase value."

Bud
Bud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 03:03 PM   #400
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
"An operating partner is a term used by venture capital (VC) and private equity (PE) firms to describe a role dedicated to working with privately held companies to increase value."

Bud
Fancy title. That would kind of confirm he was the guy I met who was running the place, and is an employee in reality, not an owner. That would fit in with Dale buying Monticello from him news I saw.

If Wingedryno can get a chance to talk to Dale, I do think it would be a good idea. He has always tried to put the customers first, from all I have heard and seen.

booster is online now   Reply With Quote