Old 08-30-2017, 02:22 AM   #621
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedRyno View Post
Actually I tested it out today. Works like a charm! Thank God for simple maintenance issues.
Well, the next question is how it got disonnected or for that matter, if it was ever connected to begin with. . Does that blue wire termination plug snap in and require pressing on some tabs to release?

cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 08:37 PM   #622
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
Well, the next question is how it got disonnected or for that matter, if it was ever connected to begin with. . Does that blue wire termination plug snap in and require pressing on some tabs to release?
It was plugged in because when I drove it off the lot the GU worked. Maybe it wasn't plugged in until it snapped into place, I don't know. But it does snap into place and so I assume you have to press tabs to release it.

I've still got to test it out though. I know it's supply charge because I can see the voltage readout increase when I start the engine in idle but I need to do a thorough test of it charging a battery while driving, times, etc.

WingedRyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 09:55 PM   #623
Platinum Member

Quote:
It was plugged in because when I drove it off the lot the GU worked. Maybe it wasn't plugged in until it snapped into place, I don't know. But it does snap into place and so I assume you have to press tabs to release it.

I've still got to test it out though. I know it's supply charge because I can see the voltage readout increase when I start the engine in idle but I need to do a thorough test of it charging a battery while driving, times, etc.
Are you using the original harness or did Nations provide new harnesses with their replacements?

Re your test, remember that unlike a single stage regulator, you are going to see varying voltages as the Balmar goes from bulk charging to absorption to float, although with a 1600 ah warp core you may never see a float charge condition unless you've driven quite a distance.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 10:17 PM   #624
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
Are you using the original harness or did Nations provide new harnesses with their replacements?

Re your test, remember that unlike a single stage regulator, you are going to see varying voltages as the Balmar goes from bulk charging to absorption to float, although with a 1600 ah warp core you may never see a float charge condition unless you've driven quite a distance.
Same harness as before I'm pretty sure. It was just the balmar itself that got replaced.

Yeah, the balmar with it's float. I wish they had a setting for lithium since lithium doesn't need float. Just makes it less efficient charging lithium.
Old 08-30-2017, 10:36 PM   #625
Site Team

Quote:
Yeah, the balmar with it's float. I wish they had a setting for lithium since lithium doesn't need float. Just makes it less efficient charging lithium.
I'm pretty sure that you can tweak the parameters to match Lithium. Mine came with a tag from Nation's that said it was set up for Li. I reprogrammed it for AGM. I would give Nation's yet another call.
Old 09-01-2017, 04:40 AM   #626
Platinum Member

Quote:
Same harness as before I'm pretty sure. It was just the balmar itself that got replaced.

On the other hand, you may reduce the life of the auxiliary AGM battery if you remove the float from the Balmar and set it for lithium and use the underhood generator a lot...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 10:22 PM   #627
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
On the other hand, you may reduce the life of the auxiliary AGM battery if you remove the float from the Balmar and set it for lithium and use the underhood generator a lot...
That is fascinating. If that is a consideration, I wonder why it's not mentioned in any RT information? I'd personally rather replace that single AGM and have all the juice charging my lithium.

I ran a test and I'd be particularly interested in your take on it based on conversations we've had in the past. In one hour, my GU at mostly 65 mph speeds with the inverter off and the only loads being a single LED light and the fridge/freezer, and with only one EcoTrek turned on... charged that single battery from 19.5 to 13.3. In an hour. Something seems not right.

Full info on the test here: https://convotrek.blogspot.com/2017/...trek-from.html
Old 09-04-2017, 10:34 PM   #628
Platinum Member

Quote:
That is fascinating. If that is a consideration, I wonder why it's not mentioned in any RT information? I'd personally rather replace that single AGM and have all the juice charging my lithium.

I ran a test and I'd be particularly interested in your take on it based on conversations we've had in the past. In one hour, my GU at mostly 65 mph speeds with the inverter off and the only loads being a single LED light and the fridge/freezer, and with only one EcoTrek turned on... charged that single battery from 19.5 to 13.3. In an hour. Something seems not right.

Full info on the test here: https://convotrek.blogspot.com/2017/...trek-from.html

the single agm is there to guarantee power to the control panel. If ecotreks shut down-for whatever reason then there is no way to get power to control panels. the original ecotreks systems did not have this agm and systems could not be restarted. the agm is in response to this issue. believe me you do not want to get rid of this agm

gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote