Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2017, 11:17 PM   #1

Default New to us 2000 Popular 190

We are about to purchase a Roadtrek and I've noticed one on the forum that has what appears to be a white roof rack attached to the sides and carrying two kayaks. Does anyone know of racks that are available for Roadtrek vans?
Arkhikr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 09:33 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I would say you have two problems. One is the rack and two is a ladder. None is available for the back door of a Chevy. You will probably need a portable one anyhow and the problem becomes where to carry it. Have you considered a small trailer? Adds a few problems but solves the major ones.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:46 PM   #3

Thanks. What we are wanting to do is to have a way to attach our ARB awning to the van. E could then access it with a small step stool I believe from the side.
Old 06-24-2017, 10:59 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Attaching an awning should be no problem. Every class B has one and they are all "attached." Some with the enclosure and some with an aluminum channel.

How does ARB recommend it be "attached?"
Old 06-25-2017, 07:06 PM   #5

Our ARB will have to be attached using some kind of tower like Yakima makes. I've seen one that attaches to rain gutters so may look at that. Don't want to drill holes.
Old 06-25-2017, 08:03 PM   #6
Platinum Member

There is a way to attach the original style awning in the original location with blind hole fasteners. I believe the original attachment was on the metal below the Fiberglas top.

I would attach a modern style awning with the gust absorbers and electric deploy. Just take it to an aftermarket awning company (search RV awning) and they will solve it for you.

Because of gust sensitivity we, like many, seldom use ours.
Old 06-25-2017, 08:21 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I don't have access to mine at the moment. Maybe it is attached to the Fiberglas. I don't remember. I am certain I could attach it after the fact, on Fiberglas or metal. If it is Fiberglas you would need to back it up with some structure. I think it is possible.
Old 06-27-2017, 05:46 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
I would say you have two problems. One is the rack and two is a ladder. None is available for the back door of a Chevy. You will probably need a portable one anyhow and the problem becomes where to carry it. Have you considered a small trailer? Adds a few problems but solves the major ones.
Can this be used on the back door of a Chevy?

Van Ladder
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 01:00 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Looks like it has possibilities. The top of the Chevy door is not horizontal so the bolt through version would be required. It would be worth it to me to drive to Paramount, Ca, to see. I'll look into it next winter. Thanks. I would like to have a ladder to deal with my wifi antenna, clean the solar panel, and service the automatic TV antenna on the road, if necessary. Gotta be very careful of the load on the roof. I don't think we should walk on it.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:43 PM   #10
Gold Member

Arkhikr et al., I share your concern as well. I have a 9 1/2 foot Kayak that I would like take on the road but can't... I was thinking about calling/writing Thule and seeing if they will even consider making some extra tall tower racks that will allow mounting of kayaks, but I'm not holding my breath. I think I'll have better luck finding an old Tracker, Geo or Suzuki beater to tow along with the kayak mounted on it's roof. A boy can dream... Travel safe and if you find something, let me know. Best. Shorty (aka Shore-T) sends...

Blessed with way more than I deserve.
Shore-T is offline   Reply With Quote