Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2017, 04:12 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default New Travato Owners

We purchased a brand new 2017 Travato 59G last weekend as part of our plan to sell our house and travel full-time. We're a little nervous now that we've actually committed to this half-baked plan. We had considered lots of other options - everything from a Class A, B, or C to remodeling a Skoolie. We briefly considered a truck/trailer combo. Finally we decided that a Class B would offer the most flexibility. We like the idea of stealth camping and having a small footprint.

Neither of us have much experience without creature comforts. I've spent 6 days hiking a short portion of the AT and I've been on a few adult weekend camping trips. Mark went camping as a child. Otherwise, we're pretty much starting from scratch, knowledge-wise. We're both fairly good at embracing change as adventure, and we've had almost nothing but positive support from the friends and family we've shared our plans with so, here goes nothing...

We're looking forward to getting to know other travelers and seeing as much of the country as we can. Maybe we'll see you on the road.
knmtravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 06:26 PM   #2
BBQ
Platinum Member

Check the Youtube... you will find many communities of full timers roaming USA at all seasons of the year. You might be able to meet up with some of them at some time in the future.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 10:16 PM   #3
Bronze Member

Congratulations!
We've had our 59k for just 1 yr and 15k miles. We love it and overall has been a great vehicle and experience. It's good to be fairly handy though. A good bit of fiddling with things to get right.
Once wife retires this fall, we will do longer trips, so far has only been 4 days max boondocking. Have found fresh water to be the limiting factor for us.
We will be heading to DC, to Greenbelt NP, on Apr 22.

Hope the best to ya!

edit: forgot k in 59k
Gobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 11:26 PM   #4
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobird View Post
Congratulations!
We've had our 59k for just 1 yr and 15k miles. We love it and overall has been a great vehicle and experience. It's good to be fairly handy though. A good bit of fiddling with things to get right.
Once wife retires this fall, we will do longer trips, so far has only been 4 days max boondocking. Have found fresh water to be the limiting factor for us.
We will be heading to DC, to Greenbelt NP, on Apr 22.

Hope the best to ya!

edit: forgot k in 59k
Thanks! We've considered water and we're thinking we'll take along a couple of collapsible 5 gallon jugs and fill up with filtered water at Primo self-serve water stations. They look to be pretty common at Walmart stores. There may be a better solution than that but it's the best we've thought of so far.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:31 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knmtravel View Post
We purchased a brand new 2017 Travato 59G last weekend as part of our plan to sell our house and travel full-time. .....we decided that a Class B would offer the most flexibility. We like the idea of stealth camping and having a small footprint.
Congratulations! as a fellow G Owner, I can report mine has performed beyond expectations, and for my purposes, is the most versatile B on the market! Though I am not full time (yet), I can't imagine there's a better plan out there for that purpose. USE that underbed storage area, it is huge. Hope you love it!

Quote:
....Neither of us have much experience without creature comforts. ... We're both fairly good at embracing change as adventure
The only thing I've ever felt like I miss is a recliner, or a big fluffy couch Anti gravity chairs are nice, but nothing compares to a big fat overstuffed rocking, reclining lazy boy..

Quote:
We're looking forward to getting to know other travelers and seeing as much of the country as we can. Maybe we'll see you on the road.
If you haven't already, you MUST join "The Travato Owners and Wannabes" facebook page; a very active and supportive Travato Group. They have casual meet ups and events happening in different parts of the country monthly. I've had so much fun meeting up with other Travatans, I'm hosting one myself, next month in a wilderness area in the Ozark National forest. Welcome to the Winnebago Tribe; Say Hi, and stop and boondock with us next time you're in the Ozark Mountains!
Scottbaldassari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 02:13 PM   #6
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottbaldassari View Post
Congratulations! as a fellow G Owner, I can report mine has performed beyond expectations, and for my purposes, is the most versatile B on the market!
I'm so glad to hear your Travato has exceeded your expectations! And thanks for the invite. We definitely plan to attend meetups and rallies.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:28 PM   #7
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobird View Post
Congratulations!
We've had our 59k for just 1 yr and 15k miles.
Congratulations, @Gobird, and if I may pick your brain -
I am in the market for a 59K, and the 2019s sure look nice.

Three questions:
- How does one carry a portable grill in this thing?
I have a Casita - and I have carried small bulky items (like a NexGrill portable bbq, a grilling table, etc.)
- If you go to the https://winnebagoind.com/products/cl...specifications under "Interior" there is "below floor storage". Is this new? How does one access it? The picture they have for "SmartStorage" looks like a Class C to me
- Is it worth upgrading to a 2019? Or, should I look for a 2018 on sale?
There are a few good changes, but the window frames sure look ugly!

Many thanks for your advice
jharu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:40 PM   #8
Platinum Member

2019 59KL is way to go. L is a lithium battery system
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 05:35 PM   #9
Silver Member

I’m with you OP! Just bought my first RV too and I’m new to camping as well. Embrace change is what I say! I want to find other who have done the same so I can partake in the meet ups and road rallies. I don’t mind hanging out with Travato owners hehe. Can I join the FB group even though I have a Hymer?
silex840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 09:43 PM   #10
Gold Member

The 2022 59kl have many, many changes made. The floor area storage in in the raised portion of the cab. Not too large and gets dirty. I carry my tools, jack, etc. down there. We have a fire pit that I keep between the beds or in the bathroom. We don't use it every trip and plan accordingly. This will (next week) be our second Travato. And we love it. It is my daily drive. That FB group is great. I joined it long ago but left FB behind a couple of years ago.

We have it basically always ready to go. Earthquake, fire escape, upset neighbors and even the Chinese satellite that was falling a couple of weeks ago. Who needs a go bag when you have a Travato sitting in the drive?
kmessinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 09:46 PM   #11
Gold Member

We only use the coach water for utilities. All our cooking we use store bought water. Yes, probably silly but that's what we do.
Old 05-28-2021, 12:59 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmessinger View Post
The 2022 59kl have many, many changes made. The floor area storage in in the raised portion of the cab. Not too large and gets dirty. I carry my tools, jack, etc. down there.
What is this? Do you have photos?

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 04:44 AM   #13
Gold Member

floor.jpgThis is the floor storage in a 2017. Latter models have a locking version.

The 2022 has many changes. The under floor is not one of them.
Old 05-28-2021, 11:37 AM   #14
Platinum Member

Ahh, thanks. This is behind the factory step-up. I was trying to envision something through the factory floor.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote