Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2013, 02:00 AM   #1

Default Newbie - 1995 Rialta QD - Oregon

I've been eyeing Rialta's for about seven years. The timing was finally right -- and I found a great 1995 Rialta QD with 75,000 miles. It has brand new tires. I bought it through RV Sales of Oregon -- and they were great to work with. I took it an independent mechanic and RV Sales agreed to repair all of the issues the mechanic found. They also replaced the window screens, gave me a new stereo, and lots of extras. Can't wait to take it to the Oregon Coast. Only thing missing is the head rests for the two back passenger seats. We're hoping that the previous owner still has them.

One thing I'm reading about is watching the transmission fluid when traveling up hills for any lengthy period of time, due to the 5 cyl engine. Not sure whether this is a real concern or an urban myth. I'd like to find other Rialta owners near Eugene, OR.

I'm considering adding a kayak roof rack. I've seen some posted online. Any tips are welcome. I'm wondering if most people use sleeping bags or have some other suggestion for beeding with the back benches that convert into a bed?

emadison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 04:25 PM   #2
GJS

Hi Ed,

I'm in Victoria BC. I purchased a 95 QD in early November this year and am in the process of getting to know it.

I drove it home (2200 miles) from Green Bay Wi. It ran well and managed the hills just fine.

I am getting it ready for a major rooad trip in March. Victoria–>Palm Springs—>New Orleans—> Florida—> Utah —> Victoria.

I'm going to be replacing the transmission fluid and filter as well as the timing belt before we go.

If you have not had the timing belt done on yours at 60-70K miles, it should be done.

The engine in that Eurovan almost self destructs if that belt goes. The Valve heads intrude on the cylinder space. If the timing belt goes, the valves and associated head components can suffer castastrophic damage.

I heard of $5000+ repair bills. The scheduled replacment for that belt is 60,000 miles.

Fresh transmission fluid is just good maintenance.

Another tip I have been given is not to use Synthectic oil in the engine. The tolerance are too great, and you will start to burn oil. Old fashioned Dino oil is best changed every 3000 miles (oil and filter).

I also learned that staying below 65MPH kept my fuel costs down. I averaged just 17+ MPG on my trip home. I hope to be able to nurse 18+ out of it with new plug wires and plugs.

I'm interested in what you use for your Kayaks. Please post details when you have them. My wife and I also have two Current Designs Kyaks that would be fun to take along.

Good luck.

Glenn

GJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:34 AM   #3

Glenn,

Thanks for the response. The timing belt was replaced on my Rialta at 65,000 miles (10,000 before I purchased it). I'm not very knowledgeable about under the hood, but I know that they v-belt was another potential issue that had not been done, and they agreed to replace it.

I have preliminary plans to visit Vancouver Island sometime over the summer. Tofino, in particular, is one of my favorite places on earth -- and it's been nearly a decade since I was there. I also want to visit the Sunshine Coast. I'll keep you posted on the kayak racks. Thanks for the tip on the oil.

emadison is offline   Reply With Quote